Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Portugal
Hi, i was just wondering since they say that the iPhone 5 will reach end-of-life and will be replaced by 5C. Does that mean that if my iPhone has a problem before the end of the garanty it will be replaced by the 5C ? That would really suck...

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
They will still have iPhone 5 in stock because it is still being sold so that mean their warranties won't run out until next year.

veneto

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
If the 4S is still around, the 5 will still be around. They will still be selling those.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If stock really ran out (it won't) they'd have to offer the 5S instead, the 5C won't be of equivalent value.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
It's quite possible that the 5C literally is just a 5 chassis with a plastic back - in which case continuing to manufacture (or convert) small numbers of 5's just for warranty replacements would be quite easy.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I believe the 5 will not continue to be sold after the introduction of the 5S.

Replacements shouldn't be an issue though if Apple manage it properly as they know how many they will need to support based upon sales figures, warranties and Apple Care, so will keep the appropriate level of swap stock.

If they miscalculate then they will have to offer a 5S, as has already been said.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Hi, i was just wondering since they say that the iPhone 5 will reach end-of-life and will be replaced by 5C. Does that mean that if my iPhone has a problem before the end of the garanty it will be replaced by the 5C ? That would really suck...

No, you won't have a problem. You won't be able to buy a brand new iPhone 5, but Apple will keep a stock of iPhones for customer service.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
But i have 2 years of garanty. So what if its for example in June of 2015?

*guarantee

But as others have said, there will be refurbs available. If they don't have any (very unlikely, think this only happened with 64GB white CDMA iPhone 4 for a few days), it would be replaced with an equivalent model. So for a 5, since that was the 'premium' phone, the 5S. Very unlikely though.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
*guarantee

But as others have said, there will be refurbs available. If they don't have any (very unlikely, think this only happened with 64GB white CDMA iPhone 4 for a few days), it would be replaced with an equivalent model. So for a 5, since that was the 'premium' phone, the 5S. Very unlikely though.

But the 4 was never made in 64gb...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
When they said they were going to stop selling the 3gs I took one in for an OOW replacement so I could have it on hand. I ended up paying for an i4 as they had no more 3gs's. Pay $149 for an i4 when I was going to spend $99 for a 3gs.... yes please.

SO there will still be plenty of 5's around until they decide to stop selling it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Another worthless question.

First off, nobody KNOWS for sure if the 5 is going away.

And, if it does go away, it is not like it will happen overnight.

Next, based on the current rumors, the 5C will be a serious downgrade, based on rumors.

Apple will have a policy, but nobody here has a clue what it will be.

Common logic dictates Apple will provide an equal or better phone.

And.... are you having trouble with you Iphone 5?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

We don't know when the iphone 5 will stop being sold.
And either way they still have 3GS iPhones in stock for replacements.
I got a white 16GB replaced a month ago and they had it in stock.
So I don't think we will see any iphone 5 shortages for a very long time.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
They still had the original iPhone available as out of warranty replacements just a few months ago so yes, they will have iPhone 5s available for many years to come. They still have iPhone 3s and 3GSs for replacements.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
They still had the original iPhone available as out of warranty replacements just a few months ago so yes, they will have iPhone 5s available for many years to come. They still have iPhone 3s and 3GSs for replacements.

Was the original iPhone available for online replacements only? I can't imagine every store across the nation sitting on a stash of iPhone 2G/ 3G/ 3GS in all the possible consumer variants at all times.

Say, you walked into a store with one of the older devices for a replacement - Do they turn back consumers to seek help online? Would they just order online and ship the device to your address? Or do they offer an equivalent as a replacement on the spot?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Was the original iPhone available for online replacements only? I can't imagine every store across the nation sitting on a stash of iPhone 2G/ 3G/ 3GS in all the possible consumer variants at all times.

Say, you walked into a store with one of the older devices for a replacement - Do they turn back consumers to seek help online? Would they just order online and ship the device to your address? Or do they offer an equivalent as a replacement on the spot?

They carry all iPhones for replacement in store.

Just like with the iPod classic 120 & 160GB models, they still have those as out of warranty replacements.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Does that mean that if my iPhone has a problem before the end of the garanty it will be replaced by the 5C ? That would really suck...

From what I can remember reading on here or the Apple forums (can't remember which).

Apple have retail stock (these are iPhone's in the retail boxes which have the picture of the iPhone on, basically what you receive when you purchase your iPhone).

Apple also have a separate stock of iPhone's that they use for replacements. These iPhone's come in a plain box, and contain only the iPhone and nothing else.

I think if the worst came to the worst and you needed your iPhone 5 replaced and Apple didn't have any stock of iPhone 5's. They would replace it with the 5S (or whatever it will be called).

Now whether this would be a straight swap or whether they would require an additional amount (with it been a newer model) then I'm unsure. Perhaps, someone can comment on if they have had something replaced with a newer model due to non stock?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I think if the worst came to the worst and you needed your iPhone 5 replaced and Apple didn't have any stock of iPhone 5's. They would replace it with the 5S (or whatever it will be called).

Now whether this would be a straight swap or whether they would require an additional amount (with it been a newer model) then I'm unsure. Perhaps, someone can comment on if they have had something replaced with a newer model due to non stock?

They would order one if they didn't have any replacements in stock. A few years ago, I brought my old 120GB Classic in for replacement a week before the warranty ran out. They had none in stock so they ordered one. This was after they no longer sold the 120GB Classic. Took a few days to get it.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
From what I can remember reading on here or the Apple forums (can't remember which).

Apple have retail stock (these are iPhone's in the retail boxes which have the picture of the iPhone on, basically what you receive when you purchase your iPhone).

Apple also have a separate stock of iPhone's that they use for replacements. These iPhone's come in a plain box, and contain only the iPhone and nothing else.

They special order it if the store doesn't have it on hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.