Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

youtube.png
YouTube has updated its iOS app with new support for continuous, touch-free playback of playlists as well as a new picture-in-picture mode that allows viewers to keep watching a video while still browsing through search results or the rest of the app.
More YouTube in your YouTube apps

With the swipe of a finger, you can watch a video at the bottom of your screen while you keep exploring. Think about it this way--you can watch a video about making the perfect fried chicken while searching for homemade salted caramel sauce recipes. You can always go back to full screen with a swipe up so you never lose your place, or swipe right or left to dismiss the video. Just try to not drop your phone in the sauce.

Play ALL the videos!!!

Want to sit back and watch all of Epic Rap Battles Season 2? You can now search and browse channels for playlists on mobile apps, and watch great collections of back-to-back videos. Finally, you and your friends can decide if Season 2 is better than Season 1.
The YouTube app also has a new logo. It's a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated With Continuous Playback and Search-While-Watching Features

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I wonder if the stutter is fix and if we can regulate HD or non-HD on video quality when we are over cellular networks? That is the reason I stay with m.youtube.com because of that HQ feature.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Downloaded the update, and it locked my iPhone 5 running the latest iOS 7 beta, with a black screen, but with the top bar (time, etc.) updating. DFUd to get out of it. Yay!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Love the new features! The gestures are really fluid. So glad Apple dropped YouTube in iOS 6! Now if only we can force HD so videos don't randomly drop quality even though the connection is fine...

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
You still cant continue playing a video when you are not into the app or download a video and watch it offline... no thanks... i will stick with superior proTuber!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
But still no background audio? No ability to configure video quality based on connection speed or device video resolution? Fail.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No background audio sucks, but at least in iOS 7 youtube videos played in Safari can be played in the background now.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The search-while-playing is pretty laughable on the tiny iPhone screen. As though Google wanted mock me with my tiny iPhone :D

dodder92

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Staffordshire, England
Just updated the app and it didn't remember my login from the previous version, so I tried to login to my account and I get an authentication error message each time I try to login. I've killed the app and reopened and restarted my iPhone but to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
No background audio sucks, but at least in iOS 7 youtube videos played in Safari can be played in the background now.

How?.. when i play a video it auto goes on full screen. No background audio on safari.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Why is everyone asking for background audio? Isn't that what Pandora, Spotify, or MP3 versions of your favorite podcasts are for?

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How?.. when i play a video it auto goes on full screen. No background audio on safari.

You're right, you can't listen and browse in Safari. But you can exit out when it's playing. It'll automatically pause, and you can go to the control center to resume the audio.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Cool I guess but why the under the wraps logo change? They should at least change their web logo as well.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why is everyone asking for background audio? Isn't that what Pandora, Spotify, or MP3 versions of your latest podcasts are for?

Yes, but never underestimate people's abilities to jury-rig free systems out of something and then get annoyed when the company doesn't cater to their fringe money-avoidance plans. (Since, you know, there's no money in it.)

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Liking the minimised video whilst browsing on the iPad. Kind of redundant on my iP5 though. And I think the new YouTube icon is my first ios7 era flat icon :)

Otherwise the same YouTube app I've loved since Apple dropped the first party one. I'm happy at least.

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
I think the biggest flaw in the Youtube app is its terrible handling of quality playback. For example, for some reason it defaults to HD even though I'm on a slow connection, thereby pausing the video every 3 seconds. 3rd party youtube apps let you select the quality and avoid the horrible pause and load effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.