Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

We have a 20" iMac G5 1.8ghz w/ 768mb of RAM running 10.4.2

Haven't had any problems up until this week with it.

We usually leave it on all night, but this morning my dad went down to use it, and it somehow shut it self off during the middle of the night. He pressed the power button again to turn it on, and it starts up and goes to the white screen with the little apple in the middle with the wheel spinning on the bottom then shuts off.

Went through this process 2 or 3 times. the 3rd time it beeped 3 times when he touched the power button, then it finally turned on and everything is back to normal.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in Advance

djlu

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
NY
berkleeboy210 said:
Hi Gang,

We have a 20" iMac G5 1.8ghz w/ 768mb of RAM running 10.4.2

Haven't had any problems up until this week with it.

We usually leave it on all night, but this morning my dad went down to use it, and it somehow shut it self off during the middle of the night. He pressed the power button again to turn it on, and it starts up and goes to the white screen with the little apple in the middle with the wheel spinning on the bottom then shuts off.

Went through this process 2 or 3 times. the 3rd time it beeped 3 times when he touched the power button, then it finally turned on and everything is back to normal.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks in Advance

This is the problem that was reported for the rev-a iMAC G5's. I had it happen to mine last week. Take it to the Apple Store and they will replace the mother board and power supply for free.

Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.