Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Hi
Im considering purchasing an apple laptop. I have a budget of £2000 and would therefore probably buy a powerbook. However, i have a number of questions. How long will it be before apple releases the new update of the powerbook? The site says a few weeks but im not so sure.If i do wait will prices be lower or higher? I was also wondering if Apple will fix the overheating logic board problem as i do not want to end up with a brand new powerbook that is melting. I will probably get the following specs if i got one now:
15" Superdrive
1.67GhZ
1GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMS
80GB HD
128mb GRAPHICS

Thanks for your advice

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
smwatson said:
Hi
Im considering purchasing an apple laptop. I have a budget of £2000 and would therefore probably buy a powerbook. However, i have a number of questions. How long will it be before apple releases the new update of the powerbook? The site says a few weeks but im not so sure.If i do wait will prices be lower or higher? I was also wondering if Apple will fix the overheating logic board problem as i do not want to end up with a brand new powerbook that is melting. I will probably get the following specs if i got one now:
15" Superdrive
1.67GhZ
1GB RAM 2 SO-DIMMS
80GB HD
128mb GRAPHICS

Thanks for your advice

The PowerBook thing has been done to death did you consider searching the forum?

If people knew when Apple were updating the PowerBook range it would be on the front page of this site, no one knows sorry.

Prices will probably be the same and the hardware may be a little (or a lot better) when the upgrade does come around.

What over heating logic board problem? I don't know anyone who has had this issue, I've had my PowerBook G4 1.67 since they were released and it's been on 24/7 only rebooting for updates, and in sleep mode when I'm not using it - it runs perfectly.

The specs you have sound great I've got a 15" PowerBook G4 1.67, 64 MB VRAM, and 1.5 GB RAM it runs great for what I need. I actually prefer it to my Power Mac Dual G5.

Good luck with whatever you decide I'm sure some one will jump on here soon and tell you the PowerBook sucks, from what I can tell most of these people don't own them so take their rants with a grain of salt. ;)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I would have no qualms about buying one of the current PowerBook G4s (especially the one that your are considering). They are fast, stable, and well-built machines.

I believe that updated PowerBooks are right around the corner, but then again, I have been saying that for a few months... :rolleyes:

Regardless of if you wait or not, you will be getting a very nice machine. So buy with confidence, whenever & whatever you do. :)

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
If you need it, buy it. If you can wait, buy it anyway cause they are nice puters. If you want to sell it on ebay when macintels come out, do it.

This is a rumor site. No one can guarantee when updates will be.

But this is a rumor site, so I say they will be updated tomorrow at 9 am, just after I eat my toast with apple butter jelly.

Cheers.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
risc said:
What over heating logic board problem? I don't know anyone who has had this issue,

I suspect he might refer to a rather widespread problem with the logic boards on iBooks produced at in a specific period. This problem was acknowledged by Apple who repleced defect logicboards for free... two friends of mine (who bought their books at the same time) tried this.

Never heard about anything similar with Powerbooks.

There hasn't been any major updates for a long time and it's unlikely there'll be any in the near future either. Not before the intels will start coming out, in perhaps 6-12 months.
I say a Powerbook is a great computer that'll last you for many years.

A

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
_bnkr612 said:
But this is a rumor site, so I say they will be updated tomorrow at 9 am, just after I eat my toast with apple butter jelly.

Cheers.

Yay, I will look forward to that (and no, not the
toast w/ the apple butter jelly). :) ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dmw007 said:
Yay, I will look forward to that (and no, not the
toast w/ the apple butter jelly). :) ;)

Apple butter jelly. I''m hoping you mean jam where you say jelly cause even then I want to know what apple butter jam would be.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
And to the OP, save some cash and don't get your RAM from Apple, go third party and use the cash on an Airport Express or a good bag or something.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
How many more times are we going to endure this question?

The answer is NO NO NO! Wait a little longer. Apple can't be selling many at the spec it is now for the price. If embarassment can't drive Apple to improve specs surely a fall off in sales will.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Chundles said:
Apple butter jelly. I''m hoping you mean jam where you say jelly cause even then I want to know what apple butter jam would be.

It's a jelly form. But you're right, it is Jam. Those people I bought it from call it Jelly!

It tastes better after PowerBook updates though...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
_bnkr612 said:
It's a jelly form. But you're right, it is Jam. Those people I bought it from call it Jelly!

It tastes better after PowerBook updates though...

Everything tastes better after a PowerBook update! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.