Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello,

I'm interested in sharing my itunes music with my wife on the same computer. I've followed this official documentation http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US . I'm curious as to whether anybody has found a way to automate the process of importing new music.

Apple specifically states
When another user on the computer imports new music from CD, repeat steps 6 through 8 to add the music to your library.
. It does not surprise that by default iTunes won't make things easy for users when it comes to their own music as they can't make money from that.

Not only adding new music is a mess, but deleting it also represents quite a jump back in time...

Thanks to anyone who finds some time to clarify this for me.

M

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello,

I'm interested in sharing my itunes music with my wife on the same computer. I've followed this official documentation http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US . I'm curious as to whether anybody has found a way to automate the process of importing new music.

Apple specifically states
. It does not surprise that by default iTunes won't make things easy for users when it comes to their own music as they can't make money from that.

Not only adding new music is a mess, but deleting it also represents quite a jump back in time...

Thanks to anyone who finds some time to clarify this for me.

M

Does anybody know of any script able to simplify or automate this process?

Thanks

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Which set of instructions are you using on that page? Do you have the library set up to a shared space (shared folder, external harddrive, etc) and have both users pointing to it as the library OR are you accessing one user's library from the other user?

If you are doing the former, it should work no matter who adds music because both users are accessing the same files in the same place. When one adds files they will be added to the shared space and both will get them.

If you are doing the latter than unfortunately I'm not the guy to help you as I don't know much scripting. Personally, unless I don't understand your situation perfectly, I would simply use the first set of instructions and have a shared iTunes library.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Which set of instructions are you using on that page? Do you have the library set up to a shared space (shared folder, external harddrive, etc) and have both users pointing to it as the library OR are you accessing one user's library from the other user?

My setup corresponds to the one described in the article I provided

Code:
[B]On Mac OS X [/B]
Quit iTunes.
Locate your iTunes Media Folder. (This folder may instead be named "iTunes Music" if your iTunes Library was created before iTunes 9).  By default, the iTunes Media folder is stored in one of the following locations:
~/Music/iTunes
~/Documents/iTunes/
Note: "~" represents your Home folder.

These locations cannot be accessed by other accounts on your computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move the iTunes Media folder from them to a publicly accessible location.

Drag the iTunes Media folder to a publicly accessible location. The Public folder in your Home folder (~/Public) is a good location, or to another location outside your Home folder that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared.
Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.

Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click Advanced.
Click the Change button.
In the window that opens, navigate to the location of your iTunes Media folder.
Click Choose.
Repeat these steps for each user account that you want to share music with other users.

Note: If multiple users on your computer are storing music in one publicly accessible folder, duplicate song files appear when a user imports music from a CD that has already been imported by another user.

Take a look at the Note that Apple itself adds as a warning for that is the unfortunate case I'm describing.

If you are doing the former, it should work no matter who adds music because both users are accessing the same files in the same place. When one adds files they will be added to the shared space and both will get them.

Unless I'm missing something I can't see how what you describe can be the solution. Do you have it working on your side? I'm afraid -but that's just my feeling- that should you configure your system that way, purchased applications from different users can create a conflict, not to mention applications with different version, etc.

If you are doing the latter than unfortunately I'm not the guy to help you as I don't know much scripting. Personally, unless I don't understand your situation perfectly, I would simply use the first set of instructions and have a shared iTunes library.

As I said, that is the set of instructions I have and I can confirm changes on the music files are not propagated from one use to the other one, which is quite annoying.

Thanks for your time and assistance,

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I apologize, I was a little overtired when I read the link and basically read it with "To share your music with multiple user accounts on one computer" and "To listen to another account's music files" being two different things which would make the note in question only relevant to the latter.

With that said, however, I still don't see why it would not work to have the library and files on a shared space and have both users point to that as their library.

HOWEVER I also originally read your post as there being two computers (man I was tired) which would make things slightly different. To have multiple users access the files on one computer it would have to be on say an external harddrive. If you placed it, for example, in the shared folder of one user I don't believe the other could access it because the folder would have to be online at the time which it wouldn't be.

Assuming you have an external harddrive I would test this theory. Copy (don't move, just for security) your iTunes library (perhaps with fewer songs if you have a large collection) to an external harddrive in the same way the link recommends then point to that as the library, again as the link describes. On the second user go in once again and point to the same library.

This way both users should have access to the same files and library and, therefore, be able to add and remove things from it.

I can't guarantee this, at least not at the moment, but it's my guess on how things would work. The reason apple states you need to add all songs multiple times is that you are simply moving user 1's library and then importing things from user 1 to user 2's library.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Excuses for my late response. I thought I had posted a replay, but it looks like I failed to post it back when I got your response.

I apologize, I was a little overtired when I read the link and basically read it with "To share your music with multiple user accounts on one computer" and "To listen to another account's music files" being two different things which would make the note in question only relevant to the latter.
No problem at all. No need to apologise... I should thank you for taking the time to respond to my question instead :)

Assuming you have an external harddrive I would test this theory. Copy (don't move, just for security) your iTunes library (perhaps with fewer songs if you have a large collection) to an external harddrive in the same way the link recommends then point to that as the library, again as the link describes.
My library already "lives" in the Shared folder. This way, all users can access the library. Please note that Apple does not indicate that the metadata/configuration files to be moved to that Shared folder; those files must remain in each user's space.
On the second user go in once again and point to the same library.
Sure, that's done also in further steps on the article.
This way both users should have access to the same files and library and, therefore, be able to add and remove things from it.
... yes, you are right. All the files are accessible by the other user.

The problem, however, is that any additional album added to user A library will not bee seen automatically by user B as those two users do not share the configuration file/metadata.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.