Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Real Racing 3 received a major update today, adding both new content and performance enhancements to the popular freemium game. Players can now access Dodge and Shelby muscle cars and race in all new events.

The game's difficulty has been slightly tweaked, to allow for faster and more accurate skill adjustments and visual physics enhancements offer up realistic pitch and bodyroll for classic muscle cars.

musclecars.jpg
- New cars - Dodge and Shelby add a collection of big V8 muscle cars to Real Racing 3
- New events - compete in multiple challenging Series featuring a field of muscle cars hailing from Detroit
- Difficulty tuning - faster and more accurate skill adjustment for even tighter competition
- Visual physics enhancements - classic muscle cars come to life with realistic pitch and bodyroll
- Improved cameras - enhanced sense of speed and motion yields a more authentic racing experience
- Additional social networking options for enhanced Time Shifted Multiplayer and Cloud Save functionality
Real Racing 3 marked EA's first foray into freemium pricing for a game series that was formerly offered at a set price. The pricing structure proved to be a success, and the game stayed on the top charts for multiple weeks. In July, the company revealed that Real Racing 3 has been downloaded 45 million times, averaging 2 million daily active users.

EA has since followed up by introducing other high-profile freemium games including Plants vs. Zombies 2. EA announced yesterday that it would bring the freemium pricing model to its mobile FIFA titles as well.

Real Racing 3 is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Real Racing 3 Updated with New Cars and Events

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
How much are the new cars? I stopped playing once I found out I need to spend $80 for a single super car.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Meh was fun the first few times I played it but seemingly like all of the iOS racing games has zero replayability. Plus it's full of EA money grabbing crap.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
But what about Tesla?

If a racing game wants to have real cars in it, I'm not interested unless it has cars in it that don't suck (and, to date, I'm unaware of any cars from any company besides Tesla that don't suck.)

barneyevo

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
I would update the game, if only it were still installed. Developers keep note: People will delete your app/game if you send them 10 push notifications a day, reminding us to use/play your product.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
EA is dead to me due to this milking of the gamer's teat...AND I do buy IAP stuff in certain games - I'm just not cool with it being the standard like EA is making it.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I would update the game, if only it were still installed. Developers keep note: People will delete your app/game if you send them 10 push notifications a day, reminding us to use/play your product.

That's basically what I do. The only freemium game I played that doesn't do this is Clash of Clans. They send me messages pretaining to the gameplay, which I need, but they only send you 2 messages after 3 days and after 8 days of inactivity, then nothing more.

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Bitcoin City

Settings>notifications>edit>slide real racing to "not in notification center.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Installed, played it a couple of days, then found out I basically needed to pay and keep paying all the way if I wanted to complete it. Deleted and have never even thought of playing it again

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
They'd better add new race tracks. It's more important than new cars on the same (boring after some point) tracks.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
It's frowned upon, but when games are these are just aiming to get big money from customers, I just pirate the IAP. No way am I giving EA money for gold or in-game cash for an iOS app. I already buy their PC games.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
It's frowned upon, but when games are these are just aiming to get big money from customers, I just pirate the IAP. No way am I giving EA money for gold or in-game cash for an iOS app. I already buy their PC games.

you must lead a very eventful life that you have to go so far just to get far ahead in a video game

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
you must lead a very eventful life that you have to go so far just to get far ahead in a video game

Wow, like you've never pirated anything. Spare me the moral lesson, unless you love spending $80 for a car - in that case, I'd be willing to accept your generous "donation" so I can progress in a video game in my so "very eventful life". :rolleyes:

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Still doesn't fix the cheating AI -- they will ram into you and not lose speed, or ram you off the road. And if you dare touch them while moving, you lose 30 mph and they go full speed ahead. And those stupid f**kers will brake on purpose in the middle of a corner even if they can get through full speed just to block you. It's infuriating!!

With that said, I still like the game. For those that complain about paying, I've made it to "Performance Rumble" without paying a dime.

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
It hurts me to say it but I found a non jail-brake hack for the game when it came out, in retaliation to EAs greediness. Oh look, you bought a new car - that'll be 10 coins to deliver now. What a load of BS! So now I have 100,000 gold coins and all original $80 super cars unlocked. I paid $10 for RR2 back in the day and was happy to do so again for RR3...

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
It hurts me to say it but I found a non jail-brake hack for the game when it came out, in retaliation to EAs greediness. Oh look, you bought a new car - that'll be 10 coins to deliver now. What a load of BS! So now I have 100,000 gold coins and all original $80 super cars unlocked. I paid $10 for RR2 back in the day and was happy to do so again for RR3...

Just change the time on your phone ;)

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Flipside...

Myself and my little boy (7) love RR3, have never paid a penny for it or any IAP and I won't either. I wouldn't have dropped $10 on the game had it been a paid for app.

Well done EA for providing something free to us casual gamers :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I never liked the feel of real racing, hard to put it into words why but I just never enjoyed playing it.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
what happened to the good old beating the game track by track? I have gotten some nastily fast cars in this game without spending a penny.. The balance in this game between free and premium is very good in my opinion and it doesn't cripple the game like some other titles manage to do...

But If you NEED to race with that Veyron straight away, then you should probably pay up, just as you do in real life...

Anyways, seems like Detroit has found a way out of the red by selling itself via videogames.. Can't wait for the official 8Mile game...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Wow, like you've never pirated anything. Spare me the moral lesson, unless you love spending $80 for a car - in that case, I'd be willing to accept your generous "donation" so I can progress in a video game in my so "very eventful life". :rolleyes:

i've raced a few dozen races and earned $80,000 or so to buy a new car. haven't played it for a while

spending real money or pirating the game is not that big of a priority to get ahead in the game. lots of other games out there i don't have time to play yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.