Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Just curious to hear people's thoughts. I haven't found any recent posts discussing Dropbox vs google drive vs box vs sky-whatever its called etc...

I back up all my photos and videos , now at 21gb, so I subscribe to Dropbox 100gb.

If I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price? (Other than the fact that I'd have to upload everything to a new cloud service if I switch)

Would love to hear other people's thoughts about Dropbox or other services they've used.

Thanks!

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I personally love Dropbox. I don't have issues with the space I have, and I'm still using the free edition (albeit with 13+gb of space) and it's never failed me on any platform (Windows, OSX, Linux, Android and iOS).

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Just curious to hear people's thoughts. I haven't found any recent posts discussing Dropbox vs google drive vs box vs sky-whatever its called etc...

...Skydrive.

I have them all, but rarely use the 'others'. I use mainly Dropbox. But as my 2Gb are near capacity I may consider to put some large files that I don't really need onto one of the other service.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
i got like 25 GB free with my HTC One so in total I have like 30 GB all for free so it's pretty awesome. Wouldn't consider using anything else

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've used Dropbox, SkyDrive, Mozy, Google Drive and recently Copy.com. While others offer more free storage, I find Dropbox has more integration with many of my preferred apps, and is more commonly used by those I share file with.
I have them all, but rarely use the 'others'. I use mainly Dropbox. But as my 2Gb are near capacity I may consider to put some large files that I don't really need onto one of the other service.
You can get a lot more than 2GB free with Dropbox.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have a couple of paid storage services and a number of free ones. My Dropbox account provides 3.75 GB storage free of charge. Unlike the other services, I actually use Dropbox. It just works. Not only does it just work, it is saving me money. I no longer use USB thumb drives to transport and synchronize files between home and work. Whatever is in my Dropbox folder is automatically synchronized among my Macs, Windows computers, iPhones, iPads, and my [free] account on Dropbox's server.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Still loving DropBox here

I use Google Drive, SugarSync, Box for a few things, but DropBox is my workhorse

Could not function without DropBox and Evernote

alexandreds

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Paris
I moved recently to Copy, it offers 15go.

Allowing me to store bigger files than Dropbox. I have nothing against Dropbox maybe just a little disappointed by all the PRISM thingy.

Last edited by a moderator:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is Dropbox still the best for cloud storage?
if I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price?
Best and worth are always highly subjective. What are your criteria? You only seem to mention space and cost. Are those your only concerns?

Like GGJstudios, integration is a priority for me and Dropbox is my choice for that reason.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
I've been in love with Dropbox since I started using it. Prices may be a little higher than its competitors but the integration is what keeps me their fan.

pinchvalve

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Box.com

I use Dropbox (130GB of free space, get your friends to join!) but have recently established an account with Box.com for work. Many more options for permissions, security, etc. I had too many problems with people deleting and moving shared files. Not the fault of Dropbox, it is a collaboration service, not a hosting service. Box has a free membership option with 5GB.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I love Sugar Sync. It's the only one I use. I get 5 GB free plus more for referrals. If I want to sync a folder to the cloud all I do is right click and sync. And it's easy to sync from or to my iPad or iPhone.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
one thing I see on dropbox is the versioning service. I can go back and get a older version of a file no matter how old. this has saved me so many times. I had a 10 gig account and versioning and they gave it all to me for free.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like dropbox the best but, I will say like Apple they offer a meager amount of storage. I'm up to 7.8GB of storage but I really could use more

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Dropbox get my vote because of the integration. :apple:

SugarSync integrates just as easily as Dropbox.

I had too many problems with people deleting and moving shared files. Not the fault of Dropbox, it is a collaboration service, not a hosting service.

SugarSync keeps your deleted files. Either on the web or using the Mac/PC app you can review deleted files and get rid of them all or individually as you are running low on space.

I've tried all the top cloud sync services and SugarSync is best. Give it a try if you haven't already. Right click on file or folder and you are synced. The process is seamless.

I'm not looking for referrals. I feel very strongly that for some reason Dropbox gets too much favoritism over SugarSync.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
It just works.

This. I recently signed up for AT&T Locker, and the user experience is so slow and poorly designed that it's worthless. Box isn't much better. I have Skydrive and Google Drive, but Dropbox has been so user-friendly that I haven't felt much need to use them.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
We use it for work and share the same account with 4 people in 3 different countries.
3 of them are Windows user and I am a Mac user.
If someone add, edit or delete a file it automatically does it on all our computers.
Dropbox is very nice. No problems at all.

Regards,
MacHead84

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

I back up all my photos and videos , now at 21gb, so I subscribe to Dropbox 100gb.

If I pay yearly it will cost $100 for that amount, basically twice as much as most other services, I wonder if its still worth that premium price? (Other than the fact that I'd have to upload everything to a new cloud service if I switch)

Would love to hear other people's thoughts about Dropbox or other services they've used.

Thanks!

Dropbox is great.

Are you looking for a sharing/collaboration provider or a backup provider?

IMO backing up to Dropbox is not the purpose of Dropbox.

Different products/services were designed with different goals.

Some for sharing and collaborating and others for backup.

Decide what is your goal, then we can recommend the best service for your needs.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I use it to back up work files (which don't take up much space) and my family videos and photos (which is up to about 19gbs)

I have been paying for 100gb $9.99 monthly for Dropboxwhich would drop to $100 a year if I pay on a yearly basis.

I don't really need a collaborative service- occasionally I send files via Dropbox links but they are small files

Sugar sync sounds decent too, it's just hard to tell what the advantages are

Thanks

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
personally i'am using Dropbox & iCloud, and it just works,
but if you want alternative for free plan cloud storage that also provides Mac OS X compatible desktop client, you might check this list http://bit.ly/Mjy4Bq

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
I've been a big advocate of Dropbox for a long time, but I've recently made the switch over to Copy for multiple reasons.

First, there's a lot more permanent free space. If you sign up with a referral link, you get an extra 5GB -- which gives you 20GB to start. You get another 5GB at the moment for each friend you get to signup, as well. The web interface is a bit more intuitive and useful than Dropbox's. And -- and this is key for me -- you have more control over *how* you share files, including the ability to specify read/write permissions. The finder integration is good (I'd say on par with Dropbox). On the downside, not as many apps have made use of Copy as do Dropbox (but I suspect that'll change). They're run by a good company with a strong security record (Barracuda) and I've had zero problems with the service or the apps (on my Macs and my iPhone). You can signup at http://copy.com for the standard 15GB of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.