Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese website EMSOne [Google translation] (via Mac Otakara) summarizes a report from Taiwan's Want Daily claiming that Apple will launch the next-generation MacBook Pro with Intel's latest Haswell processors in September of this year. The original report, which cites Taiwanese-based supply chain sources, does not appear to be available online, but the brief summary from EMSOne indicates that shipments from suppliers are planned to begin later this month.

macbook_pro_and_retina.jpg

It is unclear whether both Retina and non-Retina MacBook Pro models will be updated in this round, as Apple has been rumored to be phasing out the non-Retina models.

Prior to this news, additional recent reports have suggested that the Haswell MacBook Pro would arrive in the fall after they did not make an appearance at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) back in June. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo originally predicted new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors at WWDC back in June, but later updated his prediction to suggest a mid-September release for the refreshed MacBook Pros.

Apple could presumably launch updated MacBook Pro models at any time, as Intel's power-efficient Haswell chips have been available for several months now, and low-power versions of the chips were included in Apple's June refresh of its MacBook Air lineup. Many have assumed, however, that a launch would not come until October in order to allow Apple, its customers, and the media to focus on the iPhone in September.

There is also evidence that suggests Apple vendors may be trying to run down existing MacBook Pro stock, with Best Buy and Amazon currently offering significant-back-to-school discounts on the MacBook Pro. Data from U.S. research firm NPD released last month also indicated that U.S. Mac sales were down in June compared to the previous June, despite the introduction of the new MacBook Airs, with the lack of a refreshed MacBook Pro lineup cited as a primary contributing cause.

Article Link: Refreshed MacBook Pros with Haswell Chips Coming in September?

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
About time. Take my money!

3168-shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Lets hope it has a discrete GPU.

=0

Last edited:

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I'm most curious whether Apple will keep or drop the discrete GPU. I think they would do their customers a disservice if they do get rid of it.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
If the update is as weak as the Macbook Air one, I'm switching to PC

Man are there a lot of people around MR who don't even use a Mac for the OS? I got my first Mac for the OS, although the hardware design was a definitely a strong selling point. But if hardware was the only factor and I was ambivalent about the OS? I guess jumping ship would be more feasible.

Seems to be a very strong rumor

Curious what makes you think this?

----------

2017. Back to waiting everyone.

Please create a new thread. :D

----------

Wish the minis would get updated

MR: Will Apple Introduce the new Mac Mini Sept 10?

Dude but Macbook Pro!!! :D

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
As much as I would have loved a rMBP, I wanted something I could open up and upgrade as time goes on. Upon arrival of my non-rMBP I swapped in a larger HD and am looking forward to maxing out the ram, and installing a SSD boot drive in the future. I have a hard time buying something that I cannot upgrade.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
And why is this on the Blog page and not front and center? I know Macs are the bastard products of Apple but they are getting more iOS-ified and should therefore rate a front page rumor every now and then. :(

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
hurry up Apple...

My guess is that they've been waiting to release the refreshed rMBP (and possible last round of non-retina MBP) once OSX Mavericks is officially released. Whenever that happens you'll see the new MBP's shortly after, along with the new Mac Pro's as well. Finally.

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
As much as I would have loved a rMBP, I wanted something I could open up and upgrade as time goes on. Upon arrival of my non-rMBP I swapped in a larger HD and am looking forward to maxing out the ram, and installing a SSD boot drive in the future. I have a hard time buying something that I cannot upgrade.

I remember when I felt the same way.. It's a hunger created by a PC world.. :p

After switching to Mac I've never needed or wanted to upgrade parts. :p

----------

My guess is that they've been waiting to release the refreshed rMBP (and possible last round of non-retina MBP) once OSX Mavericks is officially released. Whenever that happens you'll see the new MBP's shortly after, along with the new Mac Pro's as well, all sporting Haswell chips inside. Finally.

:eek::eek::eek:
Pretty sure the new Mac Pro's won't have Haswells!!
:eek::eek::eek:

;)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

I did too until I saw that screen and reconsidered.

Even updating has limitations and can reach a limit. Your limit is budget and or hardware supported.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
2/3 of the year is over, so little of their products have been updated so far (only the air and routers right?). There may even be new products this year.

It's going to be an awesome fall:D

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
was sarcasm, apparently not clear. because the article is saying:

like someone heard from someone saying something about new MBP this fall...

Just wondering, because people seem to be more excited about it than usual..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.