Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released an update for Find My iPhone, adding a newly redesigned iOS 7-style icon. The new icon was first introduced on the iCloud.com beta page, which was updated in mid-August with a new set of iOS 7 icons.

findmyiphone.jpg
Old icon on left, new icon on right
It appears that the newest version of Find My iPhone may have been released prematurely, however, as the update gives an error message to anyone who attempts to use it without a registered developer account (paid or free).

The update, which also includes bug fixes, will likely be patched by Apple shortly. Until a fix is available, non-developers should avoid updating the app. While Find My Friends was also updated with bug fixes, it does not appear to include any design changes or errors that cause the app to be unusable.

Apple's iOS 7, which is currently available for developers, is expected to be released to the general public in September at the company's iPhone event.

Find My iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: According to Apple's System Status page, the error that prevented non-developers from logging into the app has now been fixed.

findmyiphonestatusupdate.jpg

Article Link: Find My iPhone Updated for iOS 7, Breaks App for Non-Developers [Update: Fixed]

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
As a non dev with iOS 7 beta 6, this new update works flawlessly without error messages.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Wow. Rare to see this kind of mistake at Apple. Who's getting fired? Atleast iOS 6 users won't have auto-downloaded the update :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Now that is a nice icon redesign for once.

Kind of bizarre neither app has lost its skeuomorphism yet.

Last edited:

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Teach me not to read the news before downloading the update. Thanks apple for cocking it up for me !

sgreen314

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
I just updated a few minutes ago. Glad I wasn't the only one with the error. Came here to check the forums, on the front page instead!

Edit: non-developer with 6.1.3 on ipod touch 5.

Last edited:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
updated since people were having success.

NOPE! Not working, got the error message.

iPhone 5, latest version of iOS 6, not a developer at all.
Oh well.. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon..

EDIT: It is working fine for me now. No problem. Guess they just needed to flip on some sort of switch on their end.

Last edited:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
SONUVABITCH!
I just updated and THEN came on here...
Doesn't work for me, I get the error message.

MacAPOL

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
I dont know.
Icon design

Now, this is a nice flat icon with an elegant design. If you compare with the fugly gradients of the homescreen icons you can clearly see that they were designed in a rush. I think they will update them some time, because is not coherent, some have unicorn gradients, and pthers like find iphone or photobooth are elegAnt and seem mature enough for a mobile os.

We will see.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...It appears that the newest version of Find My iPhone may have been released prematurely, however, as the update gives an error message to anyone who attempts to use it without a registered developer account (paid or free).
Wow. Rare to see this kind of mistake at Apple. Who's getting fired? Atleast iOS 6 users won't have auto-downloaded the update :)
Whoops!

Hopefully apple patches it soon.
Teach me not to read the news before downloading the update. Thanks apple for cocking it up for me !

Premature? Isn't that the definition of a beta release?

Fired? Whoops? Cockup? ... Isn't this only released to developers?

Edit: I see: it's a regular public update for Find My Phone. Sorry, I misunderstood the article.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
beta 7 and it still ships with that old glossy message window?

must have taken them 5 minutes to design the new calendar icon whats taking them so long to theme the OS throughout?

The screenshot is from iOS 6. This is not an issue on iOS 7 beta.
But yes , FMI and Friends haven't been redesigned yet, it seems.

Premature? Isn't that the definition of a beta release?

Fired? Whoops? Cockup? ... Isn't this only released to developers?

This was released to everyone.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Now they need to update the "Find my Friends" icon and app design. No more gingerbread men and stitched leather, I hope.

update: Found this alleged new icon on this forum
attachment.php

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If your UDID is registered, it will work. At least it did, for me. Or Maybe Apple fixed this server side and now it works fine?

----------

Now they need to update the "Find my Friends" icon and app design. No more gingerbread men and stitched leather, I hope.

Agreed it's always been hideous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.