Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Update it so it costs $9.99 and has no microtransactions or enforced wait timers and ill buy and play it, until then, pft.

----------

That looks cool. I just wish they hadn't gone freemium.

Can we stop using Freemium to describe this game, Freemium to me is a game where you can play for free maybe buy extras for, or buy-in to upgrade to a full package later, with no further purchases needed.

RR3 is more "Pick the player up by the ankles and shake until money stops falling out"-ium

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
But what about Tesla?

If a racing game wants to have real cars in it, I'm not interested unless it has cars in it that don't suck (and, to date, I'm unaware of any cars from any company besides Tesla that don't suck.)

I hope you're just making a (quite poor) joke, but in the unlikely event that you're not, what would you define as a 'real car'?

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
i still dont believe this game is free, i spend at least 2hrs on this game daily, it's really fantastic, and who ever is reading this and hasn't tried out the game yet SHOULD check it out.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Installed it and played for a few days, then uninstalled. I'm not looking to immerse myself into an ecosystem, especially one that is designed to endlessly generate revenue. I buy apps, I make in-app purchases, but I don't do subscriptions which is what I consider RR3 to be. Love RR2 and still play it alone and with my kids. I just want to race and then put it down. I signed into the Game Center for awhile but I'm not looking for a social experience with strangers.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I hope you're just making a (quite poor) joke, but in the unlikely event that you're not, what would you define as a 'real car'?

Any car that exists in the real world. I'll allow cars that no longer exist but have existed in the past (IE, the model T,) to also fall into this category.

The cars that are in fantasy racing games, such as Mario Kart, Wipeout, or F-Zero, or the Flintstones, do not qualify as real cars.

The Tesla Model S and X are definitely real cars, and I'd really want them in the game. Many other (dare I say, "most" or "all"?) cars are also real cars. I own a 2004 Buick LaSaber, which is a real car (note that it exists in the real world) but I wouldn't actually want to drive it in the game (except to maybe laugh at. Might be silly to record a video of it and show my friends.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So I assume you, and everyone you know, owns a Model S? :rolleyes:

That was the most absurd comment I have read in a very long time.

No, nobody I know owns one. Everyone I know wishes they owned one. Feel free to come up with a single car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Any car that exists in the real world. I'll allow cars that no longer exist but have existed in the past (IE, the model T,) to also fall into this category.

The cars that are in fantasy racing games, such as Mario Kart, Wipeout, or F-Zero, or the Flintstones, do not qualify as real cars.

The Tesla Model S and X are definitely real cars, and I'd really want them in the game. Many other (dare I say, "most" or "all"?) cars are also real cars. I own a 2004 Buick LaSaber, which is a real car (note that it exists in the real world) but I wouldn't actually want to drive it in the game (except to maybe laugh at. Might be silly to record a video of it and show my friends.)

So Lamborghinis, Porsches etc aren't real cars that don't suck?

No, nobody I know owns one. Everyone I know wishes they owned one. Feel free to come up with a single car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla.

I'll enter my personal Porsche Panamera 4S into the 'car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla' category.

Test drove a Model S P85 a few months ago- lots of fun toys, quick acceleration, decent handling (thanks to the low-down weight- steering feel was nothing exciting though) but interior quality was lacking and it simply didn't make me want one. I'd rather order a new Turbo to replace my current car than have a Model S, as technologically advanced as it is.

As a commuter car I'm sure it's fantastic but it isn't as fun to drive as many other cars I've had the pleasure of owning.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So Lamborghinis, Porsches etc aren't real cars that don't suck?

I'll enter my personal Porsche Panamera 4S into the 'car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla' category.

Test drove a Model S P85 a few months ago- lots of fun toys, quick acceleration, decent handling (thanks to the low-down weight- steering feel was nothing exciting though) but interior quality was lacking and it simply didn't make me want one. I'd rather order a new Turbo to replace my current car than have a Model S, as technologically advanced as it is.

As a commuter car I'm sure it's fantastic but it isn't as fun to drive as many other cars I've had the pleasure of owning.

But how long will your Porsche last? That's the big issue I have with most cars - they have to go in for major repairs that take a few days every few years. I know most people with a lot of disposable income use it as an excuse to buy a new car every 2-3 years. That sounds like a PC to me.

I vastly prefer Macs (and Teslas) where they continue to just work year after year. Your battery pack is swapped out for you occasionally when you visit a turbo charge station (like a gas station) meaning without you noticing or saying anything, one of the two components that probably fail most frequently on a Tesla you'll probably never notice. My understanding is you don't need to take it in for anything like an oil change ever (whereas I have to take my gasoline based cars in about once every six weeks because of how much I drive every day.)

It seems to me - I haven't done research on this component of a Tesla - but it seems to me that the thing that will fail most often will probably be the tires. I think I'll be okay if the tires are the only part of my car that ever needs repair.

But please, go on about how you like your current car so much that you'll buy another. Realize that in doing so, you're telling me it will fail, like a PC. Macs don't fail (well, the HDD will probably rot... SSD Macs won't fail) and neither should my car. I'll upgrade to a newer model when the newer model has enough new features I want, not because my current model has broken down.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i love it! awesome game, the best app i've ever played on a smartphone. the app should be awarded the best app of the year award.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
But how long will your Porsche last? That's the big issue I have with most cars - they have to go in for major repairs that take a few days every few years. I know most people with a lot of disposable income use it as an excuse to buy a new car every 2-3 years. That sounds like a PC to me.

I vastly prefer Macs (and Teslas) where they continue to just work year after year. Your battery pack is swapped out for you occasionally when you visit a turbo charge station (like a gas station) meaning without you noticing or saying anything, one of the two components that probably fail most frequently on a Tesla you'll probably never notice. My understanding is you don't need to take it in for anything like an oil change ever (whereas I have to take my gasoline based cars in about once every six weeks because of how much I drive every day.)

It seems to me - I haven't done research on this component of a Tesla - but it seems to me that the thing that will fail most often will probably be the tires. I think I'll be okay if the tires are the only part of my car that ever needs repair.

But please, go on about how you like your current car so much that you'll buy another. Realize that in doing so, you're telling me it will fail, like a PC. Macs don't fail (well, the HDD will probably rot... SSD Macs won't fail) and neither should my car. I'll upgrade to a newer model when the newer model has enough new features I want, not because my current model has broken down.

It'll last as long as I keep it. If I wanted to keep it for 10 years, it'll probably run as well as my friend's DD does (a 996 C4S he bought brand new in 2002). I trade in my cars when I get bored of them (remind you of the bolded part of your post?)- not because there's some massive repair I want to avoid. People buy new things when they want a new toy to play with, not necessarily because there's something wrong with their old one.

For example, I had my M5 in Hong Kong since 08 and just traded it in on a new AMG. Nothing out of the ordinary that had to be repaired, and I don't expect my new car to have any major issues either.

If you think the Tesla's unbelievably complex electronics won't ever have issues then you think too much of it. It's no different from any other modern car in that area.

Mac-and-PC- that's been hashed out over and over again. Silly to say how one would work year after year and the other wouldn't, esp when they run on roughly the same components. Not an apt comparison to ICE-vs-EV.

A battery pack swap will cost between $60 and $80, about the same as filling up a 15-gallon gas tank, Musk said. Drivers who choose to swap must reclaim their original battery on their return trip or pay the difference in cost for the new pack.

The 90sec battery swap is a temporary solution for long road trips. Expect to pay thousands if you want to keep the 'new' battery. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/tesla-battery-swap-90-seconds_n_3476383.html]

The Model S requires yearly maintenance like many ICE vehicles. If you're wearing out modern synthetic oil in a matter of weeks, then you clearly drive a lot- is an electric car really the solution? I don't see the Supercharger network expanding enough in the near future to cover any routes outside the usual NY-to-LA etc.

Teslas have been out for what, 4 years? The Model S, a year or two? That's not enough time to determine reliability over the long-term, certainly not enough time for one to guarantee it'll work 'year after year'.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Teslas have been out for what, 4 years? The Model S, a year or two? That's not enough time to determine reliability over the long-term, certainly not enough time for one to guarantee it'll work 'year after year'.

The Roadster has been out for a good deal longer and is what I base my claims of durability off of.

I don't currently have the money to spend on a nice car though (still in school, and working to keep my debt down as best I can.)

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Loved Real Racing 2 and was looking forward to play part three, even on a higher price level. But as many people stated before I'm not supporting this Freemium crap.

It would be interesting to see the overall revenue figure comparing part two and three - not the download figures. But I fear the successor might have been a winner.

Last edited:

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
What is the real money cost of this game if you want to be able to play through it like a normal game, the way you could in RR2?

I've spent $100.60 so far, and I've completed the Amateur section plus 16% of Performance Rumble. I own 14 fully upgraded cars, plus the '66 Cobra 427 with 14/33 upgrades installed. The third level of upgrades for the Cobra are around $100,000 each... :eek: I can only imagine what the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth levels of the Engine upgrade cost, let alone the rest of it. I'm guessing this car alone will cost me R$5,000,000 and 400 or 500 gold to finish upgrading.

I currently have R$219,528 and 22 gold.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
What is the real money cost of this game if you want to be able to play through it like a normal game, the way you could in RR2?

I've spent $100.60 so far, and I've completed the Amateur section plus 16% of Performance Rumble. I own 14 fully upgraded cars, plus the '66 Cobra 427 with 14/33 upgrades installed. The third level of upgrades for the Cobra are around $100,000 each... :eek: I can only imagine what the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth levels of the Engine upgrade cost, let alone the rest of it. I'm guessing this car alone will cost me R$5,000,000 and 400 or 500 gold to finish upgrading.

I currently have R$219,528 and 22 gold.

you spent $100 for a mobile game?

i haven't played for a while, but i made over $100,000 of game money for a bunch of upgrades and a second car. it wasn't that hard to get first or second place in most of the races in the first league that you race in

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I would update the game, if only it were still installed. Developers keep note: People will delete your app/game if you send them 10 push notifications a day, reminding us to use/play your product.

"The app 'blah blah' would like to send you push notifications." Does anybody actually answer Yes to this question the first time the app is run?

I have notifications disabled for everything except for a few key apps.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
you spent $100 for a mobile game?

i haven't played for a while, but i made over $100,000 of game money for a bunch of upgrades and a second car. it wasn't that hard to get first or second place in most of the races in the first league that you race in

I got several cars before I spent any real money. It just got to the point where I thought "it's not like it's actually a significant amount of money, why not pay some more and move along fast through the game." But it seems like it might be over $1000 before I'm actually through the whole game...

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Well I just bought the Platinum Card and the Truckload of Gold ($99.99 each, R$5,000,000 and 1,000 gold).

I figured since I keep buying in bits and pieces and will eventually spend $200 probably, I should get the better value by buying bulk.

If anyone is curious how far through the game R$5,000,000 and 1,000 gold gets you, stay tuned.

Just FYI, I never use gold to shorten wait times. That's a major waste. And I calculate the costs of car upgrades to see which is a better value between the R$ or the gold. Most of the time the R$ is the better value because it comes with the wait time so you save money by being willing to wait. I find the wait times essential because it gives me an enforced break time, haha.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
the thing why i got this game instead of the asphalt 8 is because you can download it for free (only in-game purchases) but the asphalt charges you upfront and then tempts you for in-app purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.