Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Agreed, just because something can be done doesn't mean it should. I'm not sure what you gain by putting a wifi only ipad into a car. No Nav, No internet, sure you can listen to music/videos but I think this is just a hipster look at me deal. I don't get it.:eek:

Yep, feel the same way, it's ok, but would I run out and do it nope.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
No power is not good

True but hard wiring an adapter and inverter and snaking the cable up through the dash into the "pan"? and then every time you take it in and out you have to mess with the cable. Technically doable i am sure but not very user friendly.

----------

Yep, feel the same way, it's ok, but would I run out and do it nope.

THey can put a cellular one in there as soon as they are available.

Aug 5, 2012
The install appears to be amateur and not really thought out from a practical stand point... Looks nice in a photo but not really for everyday use while out and about.

Not sure on the car either.

To be honest seems like a waste of time and money imo.

To each his own i suppose!

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I think this is pretty cool, would i do it? probably not... I honestly think the funniest part is that at the very beginning the video, the dude claims to be the "inventor of the ipad car install". all that aside though, still looks cool

nstabl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Agreed, just because something can be done doesn't mean it should. I'm not sure what you gain by putting a wifi only ipad into a car. No Nav, No internet, sure you can listen to music/videos but I think this is just a hipster look at me deal. I don't get it.:eek:

Got the LTE model when it came out. It wasn't out at the time, now with iOS 7 beta nav works pretty good.

I was tethering from my phone before the LTE model was released and that was a PITA as I had to do it every single time I got in the car; and I didn't have nav because from what I know the Wifi version doesn't have a GPS chip.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Got the LTE model when it came out. It wasn't out at the time, now with iOS 7 beta nav works pretty good.

I was tethering from my phone before the LTE model was released and that was a PITA as I had to do it every single time I got in the car; and I didn't have nav because from what I know the Wifi version doesn't have a GPS chip.

LTE makes all the more sense. Wifi only is just luxury and pointless for anything a driver would need (nav). Wifi only in the rear is good though; movies and all.

nstabl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Why are you guys asking these questions as if the customer posted this? It is clearly the guys who did the job.

It's my buddy's shop but this doesn't mean I'm not a customer, if it was free it would be a different story.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I did this in my Cougar with a Nexus 7. I have a tweak on my iPhone that turns on the personal hotspot when I leave my home wifi, which my Nexus 7 automatically connects to. It is wired in to charge when the engine is running, and is connected to an amp that feeds sound to the cars speakers.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
I did this in my Cougar with a Nexus 7. I have a tweak on my iPhone that turns on the personal hotspot when I leave my home wifi, which my Nexus 7 automatically connects to. It is wired in to charge when the engine is running, and is connected to an amp that feeds sound to the cars speakers.

That is one awesome configuration.

nstabl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012

Sounds like you have it all dialed in, how do you control volume?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Sounds like you have it all dialed in, how do you control volume?

I can't remember the name of the app, but when I first installed it I used an app that adjusted volume via gesture control. Realizing that was crap, I noticed there was a remote volume gain connector on the amp. It was a 3.5mm connector and the amp came with a knob with a 3 foot cord, so I just mounted that into one of the blank buttons on my car(99 Cougars have a row of 4 "buttons" above the HVAC controls, but only 2 of them actually do something) for a physical volume control.

Having said that, I use CarHome Ultra as my "Springboard". I used Target Home Launcher to make that happen. Then I use CarTunes for local music playback because of it's gestures. Oh also I drilled out a hole next to the tablet where the mic is, and inserted one of those little black trim pieces that holds LED's in place to make it look good, so I could use Voice Control for searching for music or using Google NAV.

I normally LOVE Apple products, but I found that for an in-car setup, you can't beat an android tablet with a good rom and appropriate apps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.