Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The ongoing legal battle between Apple and Samsung shows no sign of abating and last night, U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh issued a ruling that denied Samsung a new trial over the 'bounce-back' patent, reports CNET.

Apple originally accused more than 20 Samsung smartphones and tablets of infringing on its 'bounce-back' patent, which was filed back in December 2007. The patent, No. 7,469,381 entitled "List scrolling and document translation, scaling, and rotation on a touch-screen display", meant that users who had scrolled to the top or bottom of a screen or document would be shown "an area beyond the edge of the document", colloquially known as a 'bounce-back' or 'rubber band', which is integrated into the device's operating system.

The patent had faced potential invalidation upon reexamination by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, but the key claim of the patent used against Samsung was ultimately upheld.

Screenshot-on-2013-08-23-at-15.54.14.png
Similar implementations of the feature were implemented on a number of non-Apple devices, with Apple targeting Samsung for infringement of the patent. The patent in question also covers other device actions, such as dragging documents around the screen.

Although Apple was preliminarily awarded around $1.05 billion in damages due to copyright infringement, this amount was reduced by almost half back in March when Samsung called for a new trial to set revised damage amounts, which will commence in November of this year. Samsung had also sought to delay that new trial, but as noted by FOSS Patents, Judge Koh also denied that motion yesterday.

Neither Apple nor Samsung have provided any comment on this decision.

Article Link: Samsung Denied New Trial Over Apple's 'Bounce-Back' Patent

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
that's how you work. you stop this lawsuit junk and start innovating. wise decision by samsung, i hope apple learns something from this.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I've been to plenty of sports stadiums that have the opposing teams fans there. And I have no issue with that. Apparently you haven't been to a Yankees-Red Sox game....

In matter of fact having the opposing teams fans there help enhance the atmosphere of the stadium. Now that the Baltimore Orioles are good again, the O's fans that finally show up at Camden Yards always try to drown out or counteract the Yankee fans there. It's all in good fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
but shouldn't apple work towards stopping these lawsuits and making better products?:confused: couldn't find anything wrong in that guy's post.

Unlike a core of a CPU, a company can work on more that one task at a time. And I doubt that what the lawyers are using their time for has any impact on Apple's innovation.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
but shouldn't apple work towards stopping these lawsuits and making better products?:confused: couldn't find anything wrong in that guy's post.

Oh?

that's how you work. you stop this lawsuit junk and start innovating. wise decision by samsung, i hope apple learns something from this.

That is what I was commenting on, Samsung didn't bow out of this particular trial, the judge threw the case out. If all he said was "that's how you work. you stop this lawsuit junk and start innovating" I wouldn't have made any comment.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Nonsensical statement. Samsung didn't stop anything. They continue to fight the rulings that they violated the patent. This was a judge denying them another bite at the jury apple (no pun intended). She told them that they have to live with the consequences of the first trial.

It would be nice if Samsung would start innovating, though. It would break new ground for them.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

The only thing Apple could learn from Samsung is how to double-dip on patent licensing fees on FRAND patents. Samsung is the worst offender out there. Samsung has been seeking bans all over the world for unimportant FRAND patents that constitute a minor portion of the GSM 3G standard. In Europe they got slapped with anti-trust charges for doing this and in the US, President Obama stepped in and vetoed an ITC ruling in order to set a precedent that FRAND patents cannot be used in this way.

You have to offer FRAND patents and fair and reasonable rates (like Apple does with its H.264 patents via MPEG-LA consortium). Asking somebody for over 2% of the selling price of the finished product as well as access to your entire patent portfolio in order to use FRAND patents that make up a portion of the IP on an $11 chip does not quite constitute "fair and reasonable".

Samsung's drunk. They need to go home.

----------

You don't see anything wrong with his post?

1) Samsung did not stop litigating, they failed at litigation.

2) Samsung's example in patent litigation is hardly pristine considering they go for bans based on FRAND patents. They got anti-trust charges in Europe because of this and then dropped the lawsuit saying they'd rather compete in the marketplace than the courtroom (because they did not want the anti-trust charges)

So as far as I can tell, the only things Apple could "learn" from Samsung is how to lose in the courtroom and how to use abuse FRAND patents. I'd say that there is plenty wrong with his comment. He should have probably read the article and a few others first in order to make a more educated comment.

mdlee2009

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Indiana
Doesn't stop innovation

Apple has their own Legal department which is separate from engineering and design...they are trying to protect their past innovations and the only recourse they have is to go to court. If they didn't, Google/Samsung/Microsoft would eat them alive and steal their work. This isn't a new thing...Jobs went nuclear on Bill Gates when he stole pieces from the original Macintosh.

I do agree that things are getting out of control, but nothing will change until the whole "patent" culture is fixed.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Of course Samsung learned. Copy as much as you like, reap the benefits, drag out any court case as long as possible. Look at how many Android phones are sold by companies that copied Apple, and how many are sold by companies that didn't copy.

----------

Apple certainly should and indeed does work at producing better products.

But why should they allow a competitor to steal their innovation? They do their best to teach Samsung that stealing isn't on, and if they succeeded (in teaching Samsung some moral values), that would stop future lawsuits.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

And when will Samesong start "innovating"? Ah, there is nothing to copy right now? I'm sure they have engineers on standby waiting for next apple product announcement/leak.

Last edited:

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Just pay the ****ing money, remove the functionality and move on Samsung (I mean Google... they are the ones who copied it.)

----------

Innovation for Fandroids:
- Make the screen twice the size (iPad-sized for a phone... why didn't Apple think about that.)
- Add an 8-core CPU and boast about how it's twice as fast as Apple's dual-core CPU, and sucks the battery down to < half a day of idle usage. (Maybe a reason why Apple opted for dual-core... performance/power consumption ratio... naaaah!)
- Double the battery size (as required to power the big screen + 8-core CPU.)
- Add brand-labelling/lagware to Google's copy of iOS and install it.

Apple's struggling to keep up with the innovation. I don't think they'll EVER be able to implement the above features. */SARCASM*

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
There is NO corellation between lawsuits and quality of product. The two things are totally separate. Different teams.

tmiele

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
Samsung has always copied stuff

one photo = to a 1000 words (but I'll add a few more here).

Samsung copied Sony and Panasonic for years, then moved on to copy Apple.

Attachments

• samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpeg
    samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 259

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
There were several reports (right after the iPhone launched) that stated that the bounce-back effect is something very patentable.

the kind of thing that several years later everything thinks is 'obvious' but at the time nobody else had thought of it. i guess that's how you lose patents..when something becomes too good for nobody else to have

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.