Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
I mainly use my iPad for YouTube, Web surfing and Netflix. While Netflix is fine, the others YouTube app in particular have locked you into watching their ads. I cant count the number of times I have been washing the dishes and have a youtube playlist running only to be stuck listening to a 3 minute ad because I can't hit the "skip ad" button due to hands being wet. Then you take web surfing, between the pop-ups of "Install our app!" and the odd web coding that causes some ads to block parts of the web page entirely.

It may seem like a lame gripe but it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. When you have a laptop with ad-ware loaded, its pure heaven in comparison.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Solely due to ads? No. But if you need a machine that can do more, then absolutely.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Maybe we could get addons / extensions to the browser for blocking them.

Have you tried Adblock for IOS ?

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You still get them on a laptop:rolleyes:

Yea, but on a laptop you have the ability to install an Ad Blocker.

Usually this is something like Adblock plus extension / addon for your browser.

I surf with adblock plus and I never have to watch any ad or click skip on youtube.

The problem with the tablet is that you dont have as much control as with a laptop / desktop.

We need to be able to use extensions for our mobile Browser.

Or use something like the Adblock Browser that I mentioned above.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
Yea, but on a laptop you have the ability to install an Ad Blocker.

Usually this is something like Adblock plus extension / addon for your browser.

I surf with adblock plus and I never have to watch any ad or click skip on youtube.

The problem with the tablet is that you dont have as much control as with a laptop / desktop.

We need to be able to use extensions for our mobile Browser.

Or use something like the Adblock Browser that I mentioned above.

Exactly, even if you install Adblock for iOS browser, those wont work in "apps". Google and others will do everything they can to prevent the blocking of ads. Take gamespot as another example, when you go to their site the first thing you see is a pop-up asking to install their app. I tried it once, installed and right when I launched, was greeted with a full screen ad. Uninstalled it right then and there.

Here is the thing, I would pay to have an ad free experience but we are not given that option most of the time...

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
As far as web browsing on an ipad and ads, use a better browser.

Atomic seems very good on my new ipad mini (i'd tried out a nexus 7 version 1 and couldn't put up with it any longer).

Built in ad blocker, full screen modes, gestures - very good.

Have also used icab on an ipad 2 and is also a big improvement on the basic safari.

Youtube... well, can't help fight the do no evil there :mad:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
This is the kind of moment when jailbreaking starts to shine...

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Am I the only one who feels this way?

Before your evil post, I was thinking of getting an iPad (haven't decided on Retina or Mini yet) so I could keep my new 13" MBA at home more often. Now I'm thinking of getting an 11" i5/8gb/128gb MBA instead...EVIL! My brain just keeps saying "It's only the price of two Retinas. It's only the price of two Retinas."

What the hell is wrong with me?! :eek:

bluski9

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
i gave up the ipad and switched to the macbook air for similar reasons .Main reason bring hate when the ipad opens the browser to the mobile version instead of the full version.

2nd I can't download music from many sites I use directly to the iPad..Always have to feed it through iTunes...

Never regretted the switch..

The ipad is good but for my use the laptop is still the best..

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
i gave up the ipad and switched to the macbook air for similar reasons .Main reason bring hate when the ipad opens the browser to the mobile version instead of the full version.

Did I mention getting a better browser?

Seriously... there are many Windows users 'happily' using Internet Explorer, and on an ipad if you use a decent browser it gives YOU the option of how it wants to be identified.

The 'atomic' browser , amongst others, lets you declare itself as a desktop browser so no irrritating mobile web pages.

I'll be using Teamviewer to remotely download tv shows to my old macbook pro while i'm offshore at work - that's the plan anyway.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
As long as your not hitting the home button then what is wrong with touch the screen with a net hand. The water isn't going to get through the glass is it

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I think the issues described in this thread are why many people ultimately go for a Mac over an iPad as their main machine. iPads do not have the freedom of a desktop OS, which is what the OP is seeking out.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The fact that Safari on iOS doesn't offer support for extensions is one of its major drawbacks for me. I love my iPad, but iOS makes me feel limited when using it, something that is not the case with OS X.
I understand that this is not the case for most people, who just need a great device to consume content. Most of the times when I am home I prefer to use my Macbook Pro and only in certain occasions I use my iPad.
I have thought about going with the following setup:
Get an iPad Mini when the Retina model becomes available. I still want to have an iPad..
Get an 11" Macbook Air for when on the road

At home I will be still using my Macbook Pro more than anything else.

I still haven't decided if I will go with this setup, but in any case I need to have the money to buy the MBA (which would be an ultimate model...)

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
As far as web browsing on an ipad and ads, use a better browser.

Atomic seems very good on my new ipad mini (i'd tried out a nexus 7 version 1 and couldn't put up with it any longer).

Built in ad blocker, full screen modes, gestures - very good.

Have also used icab on an ipad 2 and is also a big improvement on the basic safari.

Youtube... well, can't help fight the do no evil there :mad:

How well does Atomic Browser handle blocking ads?

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Atomic has a built in ad blocker. You can edit the block list as you wish also. Seems very good... no pop ups etc and haven't noticed any ads, so i guess it works very nicely.

McTube seems very good too, no ads it seems.

Atomic is very good indeed - truly seems to be set up to make tablet use as enjoyable/ easy as possible.

There's a lot of choice on how you can set it up... for instance in full screen mode there are several options - i choose to have the tabs visible at top of screen, while having a very small translucent icon at bottom right to turn them on/ off.
3 finger tap to go in/ out of full screen, 2 finger tap at top of screen to scroll up to top of web page ( you can choose what these gestures do).

And obviously, i have it set up to appear as a desktop safari browser, so no mobile sites for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.