Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
gtx titan in 12-core macpro09-12 gonna make new macpro looking obsolete at launch :D

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
wouldn't the 780 and titan roast the powersupply under heavy workload and 4 screens because the tdp is too high?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^It is my understanding that the Titan is now working internally with no external PS. I don't know who this was done, but MacVid Cards has always done magic with his work.

Lou

fhenry

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
yes i can lower the clock speed to lower the power requirement and make it working with 6 pins connector. If you want a titan or a 780, go the netkas forum, MVC explains how to get a mac titan from him ! probably not on ebay this time

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
gtx titan in 12-core macpro09-12 gonna make new macpro looking obsolete at launch :D

Especially if SATA revision 3.2 "SATA Express" controller cards become available!

From Wiki:
  • SATA Express uses SATA software protocols over the PCI Express hardware interface to increase SATA transfer speeds up to 8 Gbit/s or 16 Gbit/s. This should not be confused with NVM Express, which is a new alternative protocol to SATA for SSDs, which is also sent over the PCI Express hardware interface; unlike SATA, NVM Express is optimized specifically for accessing SSDs over PCIe.
  • µSSD (micro SSD) introduces a ball grid array electrical interface for miniaturized, embedded SATA storage.
  • USM Slim. Slimmer USM.
  • Devsleep - lower power consumption for always on devices such as Connected Standby.
  • Hybrid Information - higher performance for solid-state hybrid drives.

And or USB 3.1 (SuperSpeed 10 Gbps) dedicated multi-port controller cards.

Again from Wiki:
  • USB 3.1 was announced on July 31, 2013. The new specification introduces a faster transfer mode called "SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps", its logo features a SUPERSPEED+ caption. It increases the signalling rate to 10 Gbit/s, double that of USB 3.0. Developer sessions aimed at developers wishing to implement the new specification will begin on August 21, 2013. The standard is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. It will allow for up to 100 W to be sent through a USB cable.

Of course this probably still doesn't touch the nMP when configured with more than 3 or 4 GPUs for GPGPU application work. I guess 18 or 24 GTX570's still beats a GTX Titian many times over and for fairly close to the same price. Later when GTX 770's get down around the $125 mark the difference will be even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

gsloan

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2013
Austin, TX
Read about it on Netkas's forums, but it's been months and I still haven't been approved to post over there.

MacVidCards - Please get me details on doing a 780. I may be interested. I've sent a couple folks over to eBay who've bought cards from you. ;)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
MacVidCards - Please get me details on doing a 780. I may be interested. I've sent a couple folks over to eBay who've bought cards from you. ;)

MacVidCards is, um, "on a break" from the forum so don't expect him to see this or contact you here.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
MacVidCards is, um, "on a break" from the forum so don't expect him to see this or contact you here.

He's in time-out for being naughty but he can still read here. Even totally banned members can still read here as guests - they just can't post and stuff is all - same as being here as a guest.

BigChrisUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
So if he's having to lower the clock to account for the 2 x 6pin connectors will we see a drop in speed?

Sorry for my newness

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Check out the link in the first post. It appears the GTX 780 will run OK at full speed on the Mac Pro, but the Titan will require an external PS.

Lou

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
So if he's having to lower the clock to account for the 2 x 6pin connectors will we see a drop in speed?

There is always a tradeoff between GPU performance and power required. If you want full performance then use an external PSU and overclock it to its full potential. Basically the Titan's potential performance is not fully utilized under OS X. See this post from Tutor for what Titan can do in Windows.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^As is the new "Flashing and Mod Service." The Titan does require external power:

"This card requires an external power supply or an expansion chassis. We are not responsible for any graphics cards that have been damaged by insufficient power."

Lou

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I'm very interested in possibly getting an Asus GTX 780 for my Mac Pro... off-eBay to save some bucks. What would be the best way to get this started with MacVidCards?

EDIT: Seems you can PM on Netkas; I'll (reluctantly!) sign up for [another] forum if necessary.
Unless someone is willing to PM on my behalf! :p

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
GTX780 is a revelation.

Uses same power as a GTX570 and runs circles around all previous Mac GPUs. Have a look at the After Effects Benchmark thread. The 780/Titan leave all the rest for dead. I would include a 7970 for amusement but of course it can't do Ray Tracing in CS6 because it can't run CUDA.

Weeks before nMP comes out, it is already pro-obsoleted. AMD has had to drop price of the 7970 that Fire-Pro 9000 is based on below $400 because no one in their right mind would buy one with Nvidia's cards so far ahead.

This is why we bought Mac Pros with PCIE slots. Because we can make our Mac Pro current again while the suffering iMac guys get stuck with whatever shipped in their iMac. Have a read through iMac section, lots of wishing they could upgrade their GPU. Be glad you don't have your GPU locked in by Apple like those poor guys.

I am going on a trip to Bay Area but before I go I will be sending a 780 and perhaps a Titan to Barefeats. Prepare to be amazed.

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
GTX780 is a revelation.

Uses same power as a GTX570 and runs circles around all previous Mac GPUs. Have a look at the After Effects Benchmark thread. The 780/Titan leave all the rest for dead. I would include a 7970 for amusement but of course it can't do Ray Tracing in CS6 because it can't run CUDA.

Weeks before nMP comes out, it is already pro-obsoleted. AMD has had to drop price of the 7970 that Fire-Pro 9000 is based on below $400 because no one in their right mind would buy one with Nvidia's cards so far ahead.

This is why we bought Mac Pros with PCIE slots. Because we can make our Mac Pro current again while the suffering iMac guys get stuck with whatever shipped in their iMac. Have a read through iMac section, lots of wishing they could upgrade their GPU. Be glad you don't have your GPU locked in by Apple like those poor guys.

I am going on a trip to Bay Area but before I go I will be sending a 780 and perhaps a Titan to Barefeats. Prepare to be amazed.

Sounds awesome MVC, can't wait to see the results!

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I was on the fence before but I'm leaning towards that 780. I expect the Barefeats results will push me over the edge. Will PM you later.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Congrats!

GTX780 is a revelation.

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009

As far as I'm aware, AE (OS X) is unable to leverage the GTX Titan for Ray-Traced 3D rendering, even after modifying the "raytracer_supported_cards.txt" file.

The GTX Titan is "unofficially" supported in AE (Windows), but until Adobe updates AE (OS X) to "unofficially" support ray-traced acceleration with the Titan, the card remains useless for AE (OS X).

Titan and 780 should put up some good numbers with DaVinci Resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.