Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How and when will the new Mac Pro be launched?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
During the (all but confirmed) September 10th iPhone launch?

During the as yet to be announced iPad launch in October?

During a possible third event to update portables to Haswell, the Mac Mini and iMac?

During a mysterious fourth event to launch the new Apple TV, update the AppleTV and introduce a new 4K Cinema Display?

Or, it won't be launched concurrently with anything and instead will be announced on the website home page?

Who's voting for which?

Last edited:

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
They're putting a big black can on the moon with a projection of that awe inspiring video making the rounds on the surface of the moon...

That's my prediction.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Here's what I think, FWIW...

The iPhone and iPad have grown too large and they're iOS devices so I don't think we'll see a MP launch coinciding with either event. In fact, during the iPhone event they'll also talk about the release of iOS 7.

I believe that puts us into November. I just don't buy that something that makes up 15% of your total sales warrants a media event for a Haswell processor spec bump - there has to be more.

I think we'll see the stars align and the following will happen: a Mac focused media event. Tim will first update us on the crazy iPhone / iPad sales numbers and iOS adoption rate. He'll transition to Mac and go through a few slides updating portables to Haswell and a few changes in the lineup like dropping the non-retina MBP. The power savings of Haswell processors then dovetails with the announcement of Mavericks available starting today which will further harness the hardware for better battery life.

Next he'll move on to the iMac and announce the addition of a high-end BTO option with a 4K display. If the iMac piece happens then they'll also announce a standalone 4K ACD and wrap with an announcement that the new Mac Pro is also available starting today.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I think you missed one. Namely, on a Mac OS centered event. Mavericks is due to be out soon, and they'll want to show off all the cool stuff once it's perfected. The MacPro will surely require Mavericks...

Expect the movie houses that were secretly testing the machine to be part of the show. I'd also expect a refreshed Thunderbolt display (same resolution as present, but with TB 2 & USB3 at least), and possibly (probably?) a 4K Thunderbolt display to go with the MacPro. At least I hope they keep one around at the current resolution!

Maybe also a new FCP? Aperture? ???

I'd guess late September/early October.

The iPhone event on 9/10 will likely be only an iPhone/iOS event. There's lots to tell there, and they don't want to show off too many things at once.

:apple::apple:

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I think you missed one. Namely, on a Mac OS centered event. Mavericks is due to be out soon, and they'll want to show off all the cool stuff once it's perfected. The MacPro will surely require Mavericks...

Expect the movie houses that were secretly testing the machine to be part of the show. I'd also expect a refreshed Thunderbolt display (same resolution as present, but with TB 2 & USB3 at least), and possibly (probably?) a 4K Thunderbolt display to go with the MacPro. At least I hope they keep one around at the current resolution!

Maybe also a new FCP? Aperture? ???

I'd guess late September/early October.

I disagree. They've already showed off some of the Maverick features at WWDC and they even had a breakout session where one of the production studios showed how they used the new MP to render Monster's University.

I'm not sure why they're teasing the new MP in theaters but I'd think between WWDC and some other promo channels, the people who'd be in line to by a MP are already on notice.

I'm putting the appearance of a 4K display at around 50% both because they made such a big deal of this capability during the reveal at WWDC and because of the potential to make a 4K display affordable through volume of production as an option in the iMac line.

As for FCP I think it'd make sense to time a major release around NAB in April 2014. That way Apple can make their presence felt amongst it's strongest user base without actually being there.

Aperture, man if Apple doesn't do something with that software soon, any remaining folks who haven't switched to LR, will. That, and the fact that as pros migrate to using Adobe's Creative Cloud they'll automatically have access to LR further encouraging the switch.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The thread Title and thread Poll seem to be a mismatch. It was Announced, but has not yet been Launched.

Lou

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
Maybe they won't release it. It was all a joke to troll everyone and watch all the bickering on MacRumors.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I have a strong suspicion there will be another event to talk details and upgrade paths.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
they even had a breakout session where one of the production studios showed how they used the new MP to render Monster's University.

I'm not sure why they're teasing the new MP in theaters

Back to back, that sounds like a good reason to make a theatre advertisement.

"And now, our Feature Presentation, made on a Mac™"

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I have a strong suspicion there will be another event to talk details and upgrade paths.

LOL upgrade paths :)

xcB5orF.jpg

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Looks like they are using this to highlight that they still innovate, so I'd expect a special event. I'd guess an event to announce Mavericks, new Mac Book Pros (Haswell) and the Mac Pro. If they they have another surprise for us in price as I think they do then a special event to highlight that makes sense.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I'd say we see it around the Mavericks release or shortly thereafter. Are they planning to get Mavericks out at the same time as iOS7? They have a lot of product to release by the end of the year.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
LOL upgrade paths :)

Unless you work in an office of a few people, then it can go to the desk of a less demanding user, then further down the chain, or off to the home of one of the power users to make sure they have a good home machine.

Most companies I've worked in it's not obsolete till it's a fire risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.