Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightning33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I know refurb Macbooks are generally considered basically as good as new and there will be no issues with them. Same hold true for the iPods, specifically the Nano? I figure I use it for working out so it may get sweaty, wet, dirty, etc and a refurb, if just as good as new, might do, especially at $50 less.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I know refurb Macbooks are generally considered basically as good as new and there will be no issues with them. Same hold true for the iPods, specifically the Nano? I figure I use it for working out so it may get sweaty, wet, dirty, etc and a refurb, if just as good as new, might do, especially at $50 less.
The same holds true for iPods as well. Except for the refurb box my iPod touch was in you would never have known it was a refurb looking at it.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
As above.
I've bought two nano refurbs in the past and apart from the simple box, you wouldn't know it was any different to a brand new one.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Been there, done that, TWICE.....most recently with an iPod touch for my daughter's birthday in June.....she didnt even realize that it was a refurb.....I had it shipped to the local apple store so she would think I bought it NEW from there. Had Mom act as a decoy while I went to have a salesperson get it from the stockroom.....

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
You still have the same warranty on a refurb. If anything happens, you can still go in for a replacement, like buying new.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I have purchased and received refurbs for warranty work before and they have been fantastic. No problems what so ever.

knovins

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
No reservations

Over the years, I've bought a refurb touch, two shuffles, an iPod Classic, and *multiple* nanos. All look new, and come with the same (new) accessories. I have no reservations giving refurbs as gifts. In fact, I only buy refurbished iPods because you can't BTO, so there's no special advantage to buying new, and I don't mind waiting awhile to get a model.

None of the refurbed iPods that I've kept have failed, and I've never gotten a bad report on any that were given. As someone else has mentioned, Apple provides the same warranty and you can add AppleCare for refurbs.

On the other hand, I returned both BTO iMacs for replacements.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Yeah, thats why the first iPhone 5 units came scuffed out of the box (Including mine).

And i've had 4 iphone 5's with dust very obviously showing up in pictures because it's stuck in the camera lens :rolleyes:

Apple has really got this quality control thing down.

and no this isn't "lulz he must have OCD cause he replaced it that much" this is Apple store geniuses saying to my face that if their phone took pictures like my last couple did that they would be pissed off.

TO OP: Generally refurbished Apple products are really high quality, I doubt if you get one instead of a brand new one you will end up disappointed, especially because they carry the exact same warranty as a new product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.