Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly planning to open its first Brazilian retail store in Rio de Janeiro in early December, according to a report [Google Translate] from Brazilian technology magazine Info Exame (via @ifostore). Apple was reportedly hoping to open the store in July, but difficulties recruiting employees for the store have led the company to delay the opening by several months.
The store should have been inaugurated in July, but due to difficulties in recruitment, the company decided to postpone the launch. According to the calculation of INFO, the official opening is scheduled for December 7, a Saturday, with a small commemorative event.

Apple still struggles to fill vacancies Store. An employee Genius will earn about 5000 reais, while management positions receive salaries close to 10,000 reais.
The report claims that Apple still has 13 major open positions listed for the store in the Village Mall, with the company seeking to recruit candidates from other countries to fill management positions.

village_mall_rio.jpg
Apple began hiring for its first Brazilian retail stores last November, and the company has been working with assembly partner Foxconn to move some iPhone and iPad production to the country to avoid hefty import taxes and allow Apple to expand its market share.

Article Link: Apple's First Brazilian Retail Store Reportedly Set for December Opening

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
At least now Brazilian Foxconn workers in the area will be able to easily buy some of their handiwork!

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
An employee Genius will earn about 5000 reais, while management positions receive salaries close to 10,000 reais.

5000 reais = $2119.18

:eek:

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Why the shock?

It's such a low number…

Obviously, the cost of living in Brazil is lower than in the States, but I'm just surprised at it being that low.

A brand new iPhone there costs over $1000.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
It's such a low number…

Obviously, the cost of living in Brazil is lower than in the States, but I'm just surprised at it being that low.

It's actually a pretty good salary in the US or anywhere in the world for some tech support guy.
Imported goods are very expensive due to taxes, you can't compare that to the cost of living in Brazil.

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
It's such a low number…

The minimum wage in Brazil is about USD 280.71. So, they will earn 7.5 times that. Really, it's not that bad for the country's reality. Most tech support guys doesn't earn near that much here.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
An iPhone costs $1,000 in Brazil and we can't get an Apple store in Taiwan?

These devices are made by a Taiwanese company, WTF Apple, WTF.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Patiently waiting for you Apple to open atleast 1 store in Dominican Rep. to finally take advantage of the 1 year of apple care lol :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
5000 reais = $2119.18

:eek:

Per what time period?

Per week that'd be great.
Per year that'd be BS.
Per month that'd be... IDK, sounds not very good to me, but I know people who feed families of four with that kind of income without any other aid.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Americans talking about wages in the world :D guys, that salary (if its monthly) would by over average wage in many many countries;) here in central europe it would be almost 2x higher than average salary.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
It's such a low number…

The iPhones aren't for the apple store employees in that society.

----------

An iPhone costs $1,000 in Brazil and we can't get an Apple store in Taiwan?

These devices are made by a Taiwanese company, WTF Apple, WTF.

Probably because they will make more money over there in Brazil.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
From the R$ 5000 the employee will be paying about R$2000 tax, plus other deductions, so the take home will probably be about half that. The employee will probably get pretty good benefits, meal tickets, healthcare, transport allowance, plus perks such as promotional membership of gyms and other facilities, maybe even cell phone service deals and possibly even banking perks.

And the cost of living in Brazil these days is high. Brazil stopped being a cheap country 7 or so years ago. I have lived in Brazil and am currently working in Libya with a Canadian who has Brazilian residence, he's come to Libya because he simply cannot make the money in Brazil he needs to, for example, buy an apartment, and he was earning R$7000 per month in Salvador, which is a considerably cheaper city to live in than Rio.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..Apple was reportedly hoping to open the store in July, but difficulties recruiting employees for the store have led the company to delay the opening by several months.The report claims that Apple still has 13 major open positions listed for the store in the Village Mall, with the company seeking to recruit candidates from other countries to fill management positions.

Article Link: Apple's First Brazilian Retail Store Reportedly Set for December Opening

Wow, that's a first, and not in a good way….. :eek:

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
nice store, apple really knows when and where to strike. their BoD definitely consists of the most intelligent people.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I wonder if it's really the protests that are behind the 'recruitment difficulties'.

Exchange rates vary but in Brazil most medium to large purchases are made on installment plans. The advertised price is often for one of the twelve monthly payments.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Per what time period?

Per week that'd be great.
Per year that'd be BS.
Per month that'd be... IDK, sounds not very good to me, but I know people who feed families of four with that kind of income without any other aid.

That is on a per month basis. ;)

It may not be a very good salary if you need an university graduation, for instance. Otherwise, that is a good offer... see... some people just know how to use computers pretty well. It's not rocket science. More sort of a fancier McDonald's job. lol

----------

I wonder if it's really the protests that are behind the 'recruitment difficulties'.

Exchange rates vary but in Brazil most medium to large purchases are made on installment plans. The advertised price is often for one of the twelve monthly payments.

No, the protests have nothing to do with it. The difficulties are due to the pre-requisites that Apple is imposing for the job, which in a country like Brazil are very high and the jobless rate is at about 5,6% (pretty low) and workers with a high education level are pretty scant at the moment.

BTW: Nice Ayrton Senna pic you got there. He's one of our greatest heroes. Everyone used to love him.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
It's such a low number…

I'm in Brazil. The salary doesn't look that low, but then again I know next to nothing about the job. I take it that's payment for 40 hours a week? And the job does not require College-level education, does it? And I honestly have no idea on how much will be lost due to taxs, but I would wager it would likely go down to 4.000 reais. As long as it's more an entry-level position and has some other benefits, that's not exactly low.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I was just down in Rio and stayed near this mall. It's a perfect place for an apple store. Lots of ritzy areas around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.