Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I have a folder on my mac containing numerous sub-folders with hundreds of Pages docs, Numbers docs, and plain text. If I try to upload the folder it says it's an unsupported format. I tried a folder with just two Pages docs and it said the same. And since you have to select Pages or Numbers on the homepage I guess that means you can't upload both formats in one go. So if you can't maintain the folder structure you have on the Mac...I must be missing the point.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I'm with you. This seems like a great idea but I'm for local apps and Dropbox. Why not utilize all that processing power on your desktop or laptop? I can't see myself ever using iWork for iCloud.

I generally agree. But with cloud services now being available, your data is safe. I'm not talking about IT companies or federal institutions crawling your data. But once desktop or laptop crashes, or you being robbed for sure both your laptop and backup system are gone.

In the meanwhile I have learned to appreciate that my iOS devices in case of theft or damages are backed up in iCloud or my beloved music library is being stored in iTunes Match.

Documents and apps are next and once operating systems as we know are obsolete this will be quite normal. Just a thought though.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Well, I tried the iWork for iCloud yesterday, and it screwed up my bookmarks; I now have only the default bookmarks in my Safari browser. :(

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
If the iWork apps for OSX are just as good or better, Apple really pulled through.

As far as I can see, these are simplified versions of the Mac software. Excellent for basic tasks, and much nicer than Google or MS offering.

Paolo

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Did you forget that Adobe is already doing web apps from their Creative Suite?

Not exactly. They call them "cloud", but these are ordinary apps residing on your local drive, with authorization and updates frequently checked while online.

Paolo

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not exactly. They call them "cloud", but these are ordinary apps residing on your local drive, with authorization and updates frequently checked while online.

Paolo

You're absolutely correct, however my point was this is the direction the industry is going and in 10 years don't be surprised at all if storage on your local computer goes away and everything is web based. Just my opinion though.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
If you don't think this is the way of the future, you are crazy. As a software consultant, I can tell you right now that any company who isn't trying to push their software offerings in the 'cloud' will eventually be dead. Let me give you a couple examples of industry disruptions, and let me remind you that each of these companies were thought of as a "fad" in the beginning.

CRM - Salesforce.com
ERP - Workday.com
Storage - DropBox
Music - Pandora

If there is ANYTHING I know of, it is software trending... Do you think in 10 years your phone will have 128GB+ storage? No way, it isn't needed. Once wireless networks are able to perform fast enough to feed all data as you need it, storage on devices will start disappearing and you will be left with services only. iOS in the cloud, for example (iOS 15 maybe? lol)

While I recognize that this is the direction things are going, I really hope that such moves are taken with a sense of balance. Right now, it's not hard to go somewhere that you have weak or no network connectivity. I recently visited my uncle in northern Washington (state), and the cellular data connection was showing as being at Edge levels when at his house (though that usually meant that it would try to connect for a while before concluding that it couldn't), and if we drove five minutes in any direction, except one (toward the nearest larger city), even the voice connection dropped to nothing. During this visit, my wife finished a book on her Kindle and wanted to grab a new one from her Kindle library, but couldn't. At the same time, I chose also decided to start a new book on my iPad, which I could do because the library was local.

Another example, I recently flew on a plane. Because of the way that iOS Pages works, I was able to continue working on a document while in flight, without any network connection. Once network was reestablished, the document was synced. If I only had web based services available to me, I would have been SOL.

So, I can see the trend. It is a trend that I will resist, to a degree. I like to keep things resident in local form. I don't have a problem with utilizing them, but I don't want to see all services go over to them.

One final point, and this might make me seem like something of an alarmist, but oh well. In the event of a major disaster, net based services could be down for a long time, whereas local based apps would still function.

In many ways this comes down to the argument between centralized vs. distributed. This has been seen in many areas, and keeps coming up in computing circles. Usually, the pendulum swings back toward distributed computing fairly quickly, because without that, our devices can be very easily rendered completely useless in any number of circumstances...

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
There is a lot of negativity on the first two pages of this thread. Has any of the detractors actually used this?

I haven't used it heavily, but I liked what I saw. It's like google docs, but it looks a lot better.

Weird thing, I don't understand why Apple has blocked access for iPads?!? The whole idea is access to all your stuff, from all your devices, all of the time, right?

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
This is amazing. I hope Apple Marketing do not brush iWork on iCloud under the carpet and not make a big deal out of it as they should; imagine most people's delight if they learn that an alternative to Word exists and it is free on their web browsers.

And it is from a company that won't necessarily read every document that you make? People might like that feature.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
If you don't think this is the way of the future, you are crazy. As a software consultant, I can tell you right now that any company who isn't trying to push their software offerings in the 'cloud' will eventually be dead. Let me give you a couple examples of industry disruptions, and let me remind you that each of these companies were thought of as a "fad" in the beginning.

CRM - Salesforce.com
ERP - Workday.com
Storage - DropBox
Music - Pandora

If there is ANYTHING I know of, it is software trending... Do you think in 10 years your phone will have 128GB+ storage? No way, it isn't needed. Once wireless networks are able to perform fast enough to feed all data as you need it, storage on devices will start disappearing and you will be left with services only. iOS in the cloud, for example (iOS 15 maybe? lol)

There's a difference between web-based and cloud computing.

----------

You're absolutely correct, however my point was this is the direction the industry is going and in 10 years don't be surprised at all if storage on your local computer goes away and everything is web based. Just my opinion though.

Again, there's a difference between coding every app in HTML and having a nice variety of more advanced programming languages like C++, C#, etc which access files stored online.

I'm all for cloud computing, if it works, but not for web-based computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.