Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Especially on sports cars. Most cars are not even designed to have a designated front license plate area, so it just makes the plate look tacked on.

How do you guys who live in states that mandate front licenses deal with it?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Especially on sports cars. Most cars are not even designed to have a designated front license plate area, so it just makes the plate look tacked on.

I'm no longer in my teens or 20s so my car is no longer an extension of my penis.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So don't you guys have speed cameras over there? How does that work with no number plate?

I've never heard of speed cameras being used anywhere around here. We do have red light cameras in a small % of busy intersections. I live on Long Island.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
When I'm rolling down the street in my **** ford, the last thing I think about is the licence plate. I hope and pray that my car actually makes it to the destination without spluttering to a halt.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've never heard of speed cameras being used anywhere around here. We do have red light cameras in a small % of busy intersections. I live on Long Island.

Lucky you. We have front facing, rear facing and average speed cameras over here. All designed to tax the unfortunate motorist who hasn't got a speed camera detection app in his car.

----------

They take a picture of the driver, we have used facial recognition for years. Cameras work coming and going.

So dark glasses and a beard and I'm good to go?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison

I agree it does ruin the aesthetic.

Steve jobs hated license plates as well. If I remember correctly he found a loop hole in CA that said cars purchased within 6 months didn't require one. So he would lease a new Benz every 6 months.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hmm. How do I live in a state where a license plate in front is a requirement? I spent 95% of my life in such a state and frankly, I lived there just fine. How can any logical and halfway intelligent person believe that a downside of a state is their requirement of a front plate? I'm with rdowns, I'm not a teenager or 20-something year old and my car is not a reflection of who I am, not at all. I have more important things to worry about.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Lucky you. We have front facing, rear facing and average speed cameras over here. All designed to tax the unfortunate motorist who hasn't got a speed camera detection app in his car.

Or, you know, stay under the speed limit? Wacky idea there I know!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I live in Illinois and our Chevy Malibu doesn't have a front licensee plate... I'm not sure if we're required to have one, buuuuuut...:eek:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I live in Illinois and our Chevy Malibu doesn't have a front licensee plate... I'm not sure if we're required to have one, buuuuuut...:eek:

Illinois requires them.

Now whether or not you'll be fined/ticketed for them is another matter.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

You are.

Now, there are enough people that don't have one where you won't stand out and I'd wager most cops don't care that much BUT...

In the city of Chicago, they're actively on the hunt for these types of extremely important and critical infractions. Tinted windows too. They have teams that even enter private garages to look for infractions. O'Hare and Midway lots are also canvassed on a regular basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.