Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mare92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Hello!

I have Macbook Pro Retina(early 2013) with 2.6Ghz i5 and 8GB RAM.

I dedicated Parallels 4GB of RAM, set it to use 2 cores and 512MB of video RAM. Installed host OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Its still somehow laggy even in very basic and old games. What would you suggest? More cores?
And maybe a stupid question, but when I quit Parallels, does it immediately rellocate that RAM and processing power back to OSX?

Thank you very much!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If its a 13" rMBP then you only have the integrated GPU, so gaming performance in windows is going to be pretty bad. I don't think there's too much you can do other then throw as much cores and ram at the VM to see if its better but the bottleneck for most games is the GPU and integrated GPUs are generally pretty bad performance wise.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Just make sure that you leave enough resources (ram, CPU cores) for OS X. Other than that, it's all about your gpu strength. Also make sure you have enabled the 3d acceleration in parallels settings.

Yes, parallels it's just another application. Once it is stopped, the resources will return to the native OS.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You are assigning way too many resources to the vm. Assign as little as possible and try how it runs. If it needs a bit more than add little by little. The key thing with virtualisation is to be very conservative in what you assign to the vm. Usually you are better off using the defaults when creating the vm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.