Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
NVDAstratup.kext and IONdrvframebuffer, plus AppleHDA for the sound.

Basically, it's simple : there is a message into the console to see the kext to modifiy. You must just made a filter to the word tunnel and see a line like this :

kernel : Driver "blabla" needs "IOPCITunellCompatibile" key in plist

EpicBlob

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Mid-West
NVDAstratup.kext and IONdrvframebuffer, plus AppleHDA for the sound.

Basically, it's simple : there is a message into the console to see the kext to modifiy. You must just made a filter to the word tunnel and see a line like this :

kernel : Driver "blabla" needs "IOPCITunellCompatibile" key in plist

Hey so I found two of the files and added this to each one:

<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

I'm having issues loading the kext files though. And IONdrvframebuffer doesnt seem to be in the extensions folder. And did you download the nvidia os x drivers?

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I am pretty sure I one is going add extra adapters, dGPU and displays, they would have the machine on mains! :rolleyes:

I think you are right, if this much power was being attached to an ultra-thin notebook like the MBA, it would most likely be plugged into a wall outlet!

It is a nice idea to test the MBA by attaching this much gadgetry to it and let it show off its capabilities! The MBA is a real computer and is capable of doing some really mind-blowing things.

----------

Think: TB-to-HDMI adapter. It's just a display adapter dongle...but with the added ability to run insane graphics complexity & framerate. You leave it with your big-screen HDTV, or if needed take it with you for crazy-fast on-notebook graphics.

Yeah, this one is all kinds of adapters and extras and bulk, but it's just a v0.1 prototype. I expect we'll see a Kickstarter any day now putting it all in a slick package at a reasonable price.

If your primary need is extreme portability, and your secondary need is extreme graphics, and you don't want to coordinate two full computers for each, this is a sensible niche solution.

And no, it won't kill your battery. Requiring upwards of a 1000-watt power supply, you WILL be plugging this dongle into the wall.

Do you foresee Apple or a third party making a docking station for a setup like this? So the MBA can be connected to and disconnected from external peripherals easily?

----------

Maybe because some people own an MBA and if you'd read the article you'd know this is made for home use.
Connect TB and use the power cord instead of the MBA's battery.
Just because you don't have a use for something doesn't mean no one else has one.

I was not putting anyone down, I was raising some questions about the direction that this setup is going in.

I do think that it is very interesting that the MBA is being used for gaming, and there are applications where the MBA may be able to be connected to a docking station to allow it access to external devices on a permanent basis. Connect it to the docking station to access external graphics and storage hardware, and disconnect it to take it on the road.

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009

EpicBlob

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Mid-West
Was there a special boot sequence you did to get os x to see the GPU? Here is the setup I am using:

2012 Mac Mini
Vidock with sonnet echo TB adapter
nVidia 660 gpu
OS X 10.8.3

And thanks! Great guide :)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I am definitely looking to do this with my rMBP in the near future, one thing I am also interested in doing is getting a 27" monitor (Thunderbolt Display most likely).

Maybe I missed it somewhere on this thread but is it possible to:

1) Connect External GPU via one Thunderbolt port
2) Connect Thunderbolt Display to second thunderbolt port (Have the eGPU work with the Thunderbolt Display or power both? - Guide/Reference would be appreciated)

You'd be using this at a desk anyway. :rolleyes:
i do not think you understand what i mean :rolleyes:
What i was pertaining to was the fact that anyone using the MBA with so many adapters, displays etc would be using this somewhere where the mains elec source would be in close proximity - hence the jibe at why one would need to worry about battery life in such a set-up! i have no idea where your retarded comment about a desk came from!

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Like Desktop with Built-in VGA

Bravo!!!

This demonstrates the gentleman's thorough understanding of the hardware/software/middleware processes.

- I understand all the parts from the back of the MBA to the graphics card...
- But I dont understand how the display gets output back to the MBA screen though?
- It would have made sense to output it to a large screen and enjoy the gaming experience, but I keep scratching my head how the video output goes back to the LCD.

Anybody cares to help me understand this?

It's probably like how a desktop with a dedicated GPU can use the video output that's built into the computer. I'm sure it will work. Even if doesn't, people like me, who have dual-display setups for their MacBook Pro's, wouldn't be affected too badly.

----------

ok great the guy brought graphic power to his MBA, but the laptop itself is going to heat up

at some point it is going to damage the MBA which is not built for this kind of use

I highly doubt that the MacBook air would overheat as the eGPU is doing all of the heavy lifting. The MacBook Air would simply be handling the storage and video input. That's the whole point of an external GPU; so the eGPU does all of the heavy lifting so the MacBook doesn't have to, and also to get much better graphics on Macs that don't have dedicated graphics cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.