Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I'm traveling with my PowerBook and my Canon camera.

Just now I wanted to import pictures from the camera, but then I realised that I don't have iPhoto on the PowerBook since I did a clean install of Tiger some time ago.

Is there a way (or a free application) that will let me import pictures from a Canon IXUSi to Mac OS X Tiger without using iPhoto?

(I have Photoshop Elements, but I didn't find a way to use that for importing)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
gekko513 said:

Just now I wanted to import pictures from the camera, but then I realised that I don't have iPhoto on the PowerBook since I did a clean install of Tiger some time ago.

Is there a way (or a free application) that will let me import pictures from a Canon IXUSi to Mac OS X Tiger without using iPhoto?

You should have an 'Image Capture' application in Tiger.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
Your camera make work differently, but when I plug in my camera (USB), an external drive shows up. I can open it up and drag whatever pics/movies I want off my camera onto my internal hard drive.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
gekko513 said:

IIRC, this model does not comply with the USB automount standard. If this is the case, you will have to use Canon's ImageBrowser utility. If the camera uses removeable memory cards (aka digital film), then you can get a card reader and then use GraphicConverter, iPhoto, Photoshop Elements, or the Finder to download your images.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
mkrishnan said:
Yeah, Canons mostly don't. :( But that will not stop Image Capture from handling the camera. :)

I actually like the fact that canon's don't do that. Nothing to drag and eject...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
QCassidy352 said:
I actually like the fact that canon's don't do that. Nothing to drag and eject...
One of the advantages of having your camera support USB automount is that it allows you to easily upload images and other files to your camera. Having to click on the eject icon is a small price to pay for this convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.