Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pebble smart watch has received an official update to its iOS app, bringing proper push notifications for emails and fixing compatibility for AOL and iCloud email accounts. Official support for email notifications had been introduced earlier this month, but with access limited to fetching on 15-minute intervals.

photo-full-500x375.jpg
The app officially launched alongside the smart watch in January, with the device originally gaining notice for raising over $10 million in funding on Kickstarter. Access to the SDK for the device was given to developers in April.

Apple has been highly rumored to be working on a smart watch of its own to potentially launch next year, with a number of other major technology companies also working on their own projects.

Pebble's iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pebble Smartwatch for iOS Adds Proper Email Push Notifications, Fixes iCloud Support

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The price seems a bit too high and the appeal a bit too low. I'll wait to see what Apple does.

quincy164

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Redundant

I don't get this either. What good is it if it has to be within Bluetooth distance of the phone? Just look at the phone!

Now if you didn't need the phone...then it might make sense...

To each his own though...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't get this either. What good is it if it has to be within Bluetooth distance of the phone? Just look at the phone!

What else would it be using - battery hungry WIFI, which would also increase the price of the watch?

Many people keep their phone in a bag or somewhere so a notification is useful without looking at phone, so only need to get phone when necessary.

fullstop102

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
It's interesting. I got one of the kickstarter models and I love it. Put my phone in my backpack pocket, walking I can see my runkeeper details, change tracks and answer calls all without having to stop get my phone from my bag. Useful at the gym too for changing tracks and timers etc.

May not be useful for you, but I really like it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's interesting. I got one of the kickstarter models and I love it. Put my phone in my backpack pocket, walking I can see my runkeeper details, change tracks and answer calls all without having to stop get my phone from my bag. Useful at the gym too for changing tracks and timers etc.

It can control an iPod? Cool. I got the Nike+ remote and it sorta works sometimes with the latest generation Nano. The randomness of its operation drives me nuts...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Not quite true. Many of us bought it for situations described by the poster I quote below. I bought it so I could drop my phone in my jersey pocket while on a bike ride, and track my progress, any incoming calls, emails and texts while riding, without having to stop and pull out the phone. But it didn't quite measure up, as I state in my response below...

I, too bought a Pebble on Kickstarter for some of the same reasons you mention. Specifically to use while riding my bike (Think 40 miles at 18 miles per hour, not a ride in the park). But, aside from delivering the product way, way later than originally promised, they were way too slow getting the SDK out, and the device was far too buggy for far too long after it's introduction. Consequently, to this day there still isn't integration with my fitness app of choice, and the most popular fitness app in the App Store, MapMyxxx. And when I tried to use it with the bicycling version of runkeeper it was so buggy that every time I received a text or notification from another app it would crater the Pebble, and I couldn't track my ride from the watch anymore. For me, it's basically been a dumb sports watch that cost $115, and needs to be charged at least once a week. What makes me sad about all of this is that I really had high hopes for it when I opted in.

Having said that, I will step back and take another look tomorrow, when I go on a hike. I admit that I haven't even tried to use it for a couple of months now, and I know they've issued a couple of updates. But my first, second, third and fourth impressions of the device have been meh, at best.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I've got a Kickstarter edition as well and love it. Love wearing a watch again. Love the notifications on my wrist without pulling my phone out. Love being able to skip songs playing on my iPhone. Hey, I'll buy the Apple watch when it comes out as well. But waiting for that is like not buying a cell phone until Apple makes one. I've got the best smart watch on the market today. If Apple tops it, I'll buy that.

By the way, I get tons of compliments from men and women just on the looks. They freak when they see it interacts with my phone. To each his/her own but I'm a happy backer.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York

You do realize BT range is up to 10 meters/30 feet?

Pebble isn't a "smartwatch." It's a dumb terminal slaved to a smartphone.
Big difference.
So what kind of smartwatch are you waiting for? If you want a watch that does everything your phone does, you'd either have 1 minute battery life or a watch the size of a phone.

fullstop102

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Not quite true. Many of us bought it for situations described by the poster I quote below. I bought it so I could drop my phone in my jersey pocket while on a bike ride, and track my progress, any incoming calls, emails and texts while riding, without having to stop and pull out the phone. But it didn't quite measure up, as I state in my response below...

I, too bought a Pebble on Kickstarter for some of the same reasons you mention. Specifically to use while riding my bike (Think 40 miles at 18 miles per hour, not a ride in the park). But, aside from delivering the product way, way later than originally promised, they were way too slow getting the SDK out, and the device was far too buggy for far too long after it's introduction. Consequently, to this day there still isn't integration with my fitness app of choice, and the most popular fitness app in the App Store, MapMyxxx. And when I tried to use it with the bicycling version of runkeeper it was so buggy that every time I received a text or notification from another app it would crater the Pebble, and I couldn't track my ride from the watch anymore. For me, it's basically been a dumb sports watch that cost $115, and needs to be charged at least once a week. What makes me sad about all of this is that I really had high hopes for it when I opted in.

Having said that, I will step back and take another look tomorrow, when I go on a hike. I admit that I haven't even tried to use it for a couple of months now, and I know they've issued a couple of updates. But my first, second, third and fourth impressions of the device have been meh, at best.

Give it another try. Make sure the pebble app and the firmware are latest. The run keeper is solid these days for me. Also if you get a text or call you can get back to you run keeper at the bottom of the menu.

I do agree they were very very late and all those problems, but it kinda happens with kick-starter especially where it is a leap in tech. These guys don't have billions in the bank like apple and a full R&D and production system setup.

----------

It can control an iPod? Cool. I got the Nike+ remote and it sorta works sometimes with the latest generation Nano. The randomness of its operation drives me nuts...

Yeah you can skip back and forwards and stop and start the songs. Not much more but they may add more ability later. For me I set my playlist or podcast and it is just a matter of pausing if I need to talk to someone or get past a song that I am bored of.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Problem with Pebble is, the way i see it, I don't wear a watch, so why on earth would I get a smart watch. It needs something compelling to convince me, but nothing special about it just a phone partner.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Pebble owner here-
I ordered one because I had bought a decent pair of headphones. Having sworn by the in-line remote on the Apple earphones I needed something to change track and stop/start music. So it fixed that problem.
I also get a lot of emails, every time I get one I no longer have to get my phone out unless I want to reply to them. In a nutshell it fixes something you mentioned; there is now no need to look at the phone. I bury my phone in my pocket when commuting or walking so the Pebble keeps it there. It's a convenience thing.

And having stopped wearing a watch a few years ago because of phones it's also quite refreshing to have a clock on my wrist again. Again it's no more fishing the phone out my pocket!

There are other apps on the Pebble but I can't see much use in them. There's a nifty countdown app which has come in use, replacing my iPhone countdown. As a mirror for the iPhone though it's wonderful (though I hear it's much better with a jailbroken iPhone or Android device).

----------

The buttons on the Pebble are horrendous. They feel flimsy and cheap.

That they do! Something like this needs to be a touchscreen. A bit surprised it isn't. We all know the Pebble 2 and Apple's entry will be, though.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You do realize BT range is up to 10 meters/30 feet?

30 feet is quite a distance. I can leave my phone in my home office, and walk just about anywhere in the house while still having signal.

I can walk from my desk at work to the bathroom and break room (coffee, etc.) without losing the signal.

But, probably the BIGGEST benefit of having it is: Not having to look down at your phone all the time in social situations. My job requires that I be connected 24/7. Now, when at a restaurant, I don't have to look at my phone when it dings or rings. I can surreptitiously glance at my watch and know if I need to actually get out the phone or not.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World

Firstly, you are missing the point of having such a device. You would also need to use Bluetooth as this is the most efficient and universal [non-wifi] form of connectivity. Wifi is a not an option as you would need to be in range of and logged onto a network which is no good when cycling, driving, walking down the street etc.

If it were a phone, then can I assume that you are expecting the miniaturisation of the iPhone...? This is not a reality [yet..].

They already make limited function smart / phone watches. The point of a watch like this, is to allow partial function of the more functional host device is serves.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
I would love to say how great and useful the Pebble is, or how terrible it is, but sadly, all I can comment on is how horrendous their Customer Support/Communication/Delivery skills are.

I was an original Kickstarter backer, and have STILL not received my Pebble.

They were record breaking on KS, but what a fiasco it has turned into for many people. Kind of burned me from using/supporting KS anymore too.

I'll probably have an Apple iWatch before I ever receive anything from Pebble.

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Problem with Pebble is, the way i see it, I don't wear a watch, so why on earth would I get a smart watch. It needs something compelling to convince me, but nothing special about it just a phone partner.

It doesn't aim to be for everyone. It has a specific purpose which specific people really need or wanted way before this thing arrived. You'd be surprised at how large a market it can cater to... but it is not for everyone at all. It makes less sense on an iPhone too.. since it is already so small and easy to use in one hand that it isn't any trouble at all to take out... on a phablet though... this is practically necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.