Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
I have run Virtual PC 7 on my iBook and a 15" PowerBook from the current gen. The speed or lack thereof was more than a little frustrating, so I don't like using the program at all.

Sometime next year I'd like to purchase an iMac G5. Depending on what the next update is like, my plan is to buy a refurb of the current generation at a substantially discounted price.

My question is, would I notice a significant speed difference between the notebooks and the G5 with VPC? Obviously I can't expect it to be very speedy, but I'm really hoping a G5 would at least make it somewhat tolerable.

Anybody who has experience please reply.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Virtual PC is basically an emulator. as with all emulators i know, a lot of RAM is very important. depending on your needs, for example, you would run VPC and Photoshop (OS X) and InDesign (OS X), you would have to probably max out the RAM.

but if you close all apps and use VPC it might not be necessary to max out the RAM.

i'd say, rule of thumb, the more RAM the better (with or without VPC).

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
redAPPLE said:
Virtual PC is basically an emulator. as with all emulators i know, a lot of RAM is very important. depending on your needs, for example, you would run VPC and Photoshop (OS X) and InDesign (OS X), you would have to probably max out the RAM.

but if you close all apps and use VPC it might not be necessary to max out the RAM.

i'd say, rule of thumb, the more RAM the better (with or without VPC).

I never knew that about emulators. Very interesting.

I've got 1.5 GB of ram, so my iBook has all the help it can get. I've also got VPC set to use the max amount of ram (only 512).

Do you mean that ram is the only important factor or would processor/bus/cache make a difference as well?

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
You don't say which flavour of Windows you're running. If it's XP then you're taking a huge performance hit. I run Win2K Pro on a 1.25 eMac w/768 megs of RAM and speeds are perfectly acceptable bearing in mind that it's an emulator.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
macffooky said:
You don't say which flavour of Windows you're running. If it's XP then you're taking a huge performance hit. I run Win2K Pro on a 1.25 eMac w/768 megs of RAM and speeds are perfectly acceptable bearing in mind that it's an emulator.

Good point. I certainly apologize for the omission. I'm running XP Pro, which sounds like it may be a mistake.

I'd still like to know how current iMacs handle the program compared current G4 notebooks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not so sure the speed difference will be all that great. Just remember that you should only assign as much RAM to VPC as you have spare. In other words, if you have 1GB total RAM, you really should only let VPC have about 384MB of it or so - maybe less if you're running other RAM-intensive apps outside of VPC. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I think that VPC will run slow regardless of your Mac.
I am running XP Home using VPC and it is s-l-o-w. I have all the settings tweaked for highest performance- RAM up to highest amount (512MB), video RAM up to 16MB, running in classic, etc..., and it still is tardy.

Oh well, it is windows.... :rolleyes: ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The biggest improvement will come from dropping XP to 2000 I think. RAM is significant, but there are many opinions on how to set it.

Try looking at this article and this thread for more suggestions.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have ran VPC 6 on an:
iMac G4 1GHz with 768MB RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 1GB RAM

and I have ran VPC 7 on:
the same PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 1GB RAM
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1.5GB RAM

Out of all those the iMac G5 has done a lot better at running VPC. I designate 512MB RAM for it to operate and it does fine.....not fast....fine.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Jovian9 said:
I have ran VPC 6 on an:
iMac G4 1GHz with 768MB RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 1GB RAM

and I have ran VPC 7 on:
the same PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 1GB RAM
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1.5GB RAM

Out of all those the iMac G5 has done a lot better at running VPC. I designate 512MB RAM for it to operate and it does fine.....not fast....fine.

Great to know! Fine is...well, fine.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Another opinion...

I have run VPC 7 (with XP Pro) on a dual 2.5ghz G5 with a gig of ram...it FLEW. Seriously...it was much faster than a lot of Windows systems I have tried.

I was absolutely shocked, I have NEVER seen VPC run as well.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
But what were you running on it appleretailguy because it still has no 3D support which is seriously limiting for many programs and even the system to some extent (eye candy in particular). :(

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Explanation...

mad jew said:
But what were you running on it appleretailguy because it still has no 3D support which is seriously limiting for many programs and even the system to some extent (eye candy in particular). :(

I should have specified that...

I was just using Quickbooks and some proprietary design software.

I guess I was comparing it to previous versions where it was so slow it was nearly unusable...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nevertheless appleretailguy, it's very promising that you're finding it so quick. Maybe I'll think about upgrading to 7.0... Although I don't really use it all that much.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
appleretailguy said:
I should have specified that...

I was just using Quickbooks and some proprietary design software.

I guess I was comparing it to previous versions where it was so slow it was nearly unusable...

Glad your experience is so good... most are not
Some find it serviceable for what they need to do
Most find it annoyingly slow

Depends on your needs

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
Hi

I have an iMac G5 with 1gig ram and run VPC 7.0.2 with windows 2000 and have it set to use 384meg ram which works well for me.

I have tried XP Pro and is like a snail about to die.

I hope this helps and if anyone would like to know any of the other settings that I use for it I can make them available if it helps.

Rob :cool:

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
chucknorris said:
Sometime next year I'd like to purchase an iMac G5.

If you are waiting until sometime next year then perhaps it will be after some macs are converted to intel? If this is the case then you could pick up whatever the mac mini equivalent is at taht point and just run regular windows outside of VPC on it! Or else you could run it in an emulator which will probably be pretty close to as fast as just booting into windows.

As far as my experience with VPC - I have a powermac G5 1.6ghz and a powerbook g4 1.5ghz. The powermac has a gig of ram and the powerbook has 512mb ram. I use VPC 7 with win XP and it runs decently on the G5. On the powerbook it's pretty intolerable. The ram probably is part of the massive performance difference, but having a desktop gets you a faster HD, and a G5 has a much faster system bus and is a much more powerful processor.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I use VPC now and again, WinXP ran like a dog but Win2k is much nicer.

Does everyone here run antivirus / antispyware on their emulated Windows sessions just like you would a normal machine? I'm thinking that could be a major performance hit in an emulated OS.

Thanks,
Adam

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
maxterpiece said:
If you are waiting until sometime next year then perhaps it will be after some macs are converted to intel? If this is the case then you could pick up whatever the mac mini equivalent is at taht point and just run regular windows outside of VPC on it! Or else you could run it in an emulator which will probably be pretty close to as fast as just booting into windows.

As far as my experience with VPC - I have a powermac G5 1.6ghz and a powerbook g4 1.5ghz. The powermac has a gig of ram and the powerbook has 512mb ram. I use VPC 7 with win XP and it runs decently on the G5. On the powerbook it's pretty intolerable. The ram probably is part of the massive performance difference, but having a desktop gets you a faster HD, and a G5 has a much faster system bus and is a much more powerful processor.

If Intel products have started to come out by the time I have money saved. I will think VERY seriously about buying a Mini or something or maybe waiting for Intel iMacs. The prospect of dual-booting (I hate making it sound like Windows is on even footing with OS X) Windows, or at least being able to run it unemulated is very intriguing.

That combined with more competitive pricing, better innovation, and the more "mainstream" image Intel brings could make Apple very dangerous to the PC world--that is if Apple executes this transition well.

I am quite aware that the Rev A Intel Macs will have more bugs than any other Macs in recent history, but odds are nothing is going to affect a majority of systems (that would be TERRIBLE quality control). If I do get a lemon, well, worse things have happened.

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
one thing ya'll might find helpful is a lazy man's "solution" (heh) to speed up XP. In the emulated PC, if you go to the control panel, system (I think) you can get to a window that allows you to make adjustments for performance. under the "advanced" tab, there is an option to adjust the PC for best performance, basically it strips down the eye candy and unnecessary apps to make it look all Win 98-ish. It save a good bit of emulated processing power so you might get a couple extra horsepower out of it. VPC will never be (in its current iterations) fast, but that might help make it manageable.

Sorry for any type-o's, it's 3am...
have fun

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
tsaxer said:
one thing ya'll might find helpful is a lazy man's "solution" (heh) to speed up XP. In the emulated PC, if you go to the control panel, system (I think) you can get to a window that allows you to make adjustments for performance. under the "advanced" tab, there is an option to adjust the PC for best performance, basically it strips down the eye candy and unnecessary apps to make it look all Win 98-ish. It save a good bit of emulated processing power so you might get a couple extra horsepower out of it. VPC will never be (in its current iterations) fast, but that might help make it manageable.

Sorry for any type-o's, it's 3am...
have fun

Very interesting. I'll try that right now.

Also, get to bed! ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Unfortunately, VirtualPC is still pretty slow on a dual 2.7ghz G5... Consider it punishment for wanting to use Windows to begin with :eek:

Seriously though, if fast Windows emulation is important to you, don't buy another Mac until Apple makes the switch over to Intel processors. It may take a little while, but once hardware emulation is no longer an issue it will be possible for developers to make much faster virtual environments. Even 3D gaming will be conceivable, both via WINE, and via Windows environments (the former will be restricted to OpenGL, and the latter will be made possible by new platform non-specific video cards like the ones ATI has begun producing.)

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
Unfortunately, VirtualPC is still pretty slow on a dual 2.7ghz G5... Consider it punishment for wanting to use Windows to begin with :eek:

Seriously though, if fast Windows emulation is important to you, don't buy another Mac until Apple makes the switch over to Intel processors. It may take a little while, but once hardware emulation is no longer an issue it will be possible for developers to make much faster virtual environments. Even 3D gaming will be conceivable, both via WINE, and via Windows environments (the former will be restricted to OpenGL, and the latter will be made possible by new platform non-specific video cards like the ones ATI has begun producing.)

All so very exciting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.