Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

state_of

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Does anyone knows if I remove the lid competely from an ibook G4 1GHZ
if a. would it still works (with an external monitor)
b. would the 32MB of the ati 9200 would still be shared between the external monitor and the non existent one :D
?
I decided to take such action because the lcd is completely ruined and apple here in Greece wants more than 600 euros to replace the lcd (no way)
So I turned it to a desktop computer... I am quite satisfied that way but I would like the extra 16MB of memory from the graphic adapter that I am currently loosing

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Removing the lid won't get you back the lost Video RAM. I personally would look for a store that does apple repairs and see what they are will charge you. Sometimes 3rd Party Mac Repairs are up to half the price that Apple charges.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also I have heard of screen mechanisms being available on eBay type services quite frequently...might be one somewhere in EU-land that wouldn't cost you too much....

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Take off the monitor, download the hack, enable clamshell mode, get a magnet to make the computer think the lid is closed (find out where to put it to activate). = 32MB VRAM

that should work. ;)

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
lilstewart92 said:
Take off the monitor, download the hack, enable clamshell mode, get a magnet to make the computer think the lid is closed (find out where to put it to activate). = 32MB VRAM

that should work. ;)

Pure genius, just be carefull with the magnet get a WEAK one.

state_of

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Well I though of that but Sleepless doesn't seem to work on my ibook...it used to work in 10.3.6 but not in 10.3.9. But I read that it works fine with 10.4.2 so maybe I'll update to tiger before attempting anything :)

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
ebay the ibook. If your ibook is anything better than, like an 800mhz G3 you will get enough to buy a mac mini.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
state_of said:
Well I though of that but Sleepless doesn't seem to work on my ibook...it used to work in 10.3.6 but not in 10.3.9. But I read that it works fine with 10.4.2 so maybe I'll update to tiger before attempting anything :)
You'll probably notice a significant speed increase if you have enough RAM if you go up to Tiger before you do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.