Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

siri_icon.jpg
Siri is now giving snarky responses to users who give the attention signal used by Google Glass users, 'Okay Glass'. This is not the first time users have noticed Siri giving special responses to queries.

Apple featured Siri in an ad with John Malkovich last year, giving a Monty Python quote to the query 'life'. Earlier this year, users noticed that Siri was responding to extremely long queries with various quotes on brevity.

Apple also posted a job listing in the January looking for writers to enhance Siri's wit and personality.

Siri responds to 'Okay Glass' with a number of different responses:
Just so you know, I don't do anything when you blink at me.

Stop trying to strap me to your forehead. It won't work.

I think that glass is half empty.

I'm not Glass. And I'm just fine with that.

Very funny. I mean, not funny "ha-ha," but funny.

Glass? I think you've got the wrong assistant.
Siri's speech generator is receiving a significant update in iOS 7, gaining a "clearer, more natural-sounding female or male voice" as well as access to more data sources. It will also be able to control more phone functions like turning Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on and off.

Article Link: Apple Updates Siri to Give Humorous Responses to 'Okay Glass' Prompt

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Siri only does this when all you say is "Okay Glass" and nothing else.

So if you are fishing for a snarky comment, Siri obliges.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Google should be buying Apple's database of people saying "Okay Glass" in order to make their word detection smarter. :rolleyes:

How would it make it smarter? Or rather, what is wrong with it?

And I personally don't want to know if Apple is selling a DB that houses what we say to siri.

Thescoot

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
more evidence siri is just a gimmick

wish they had left it as it's own company, could have been so great.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
How about improving Siri's language/accent recognition abilities and intelligence rather than such silly playful things?

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
thats lame
how will the male voice sound like?
i dont like the current british one sounds too deep and stuff
i want it to be more sexy well not sexy sexy but like more young and less sophisticated than the current one :S

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple should do more of this. The number of snarky easter eggs should be large enough to be uncatalog-able. Bring the fun back to computing, just like in the old days. They could devote a billion dollars to this and not dent their budget. Hey, while they're at it spend a few million on something useful like resupporting MacClassic on not just the MacOS but iOS. Tons of good old software especially for education and small business.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
How about improving Siri's language/accent recognition abilities and intelligence rather than such silly playful things?

I hardly think the engineering team wrote these snarky responses, so how were they wasting their time? I'm sure they're working on improving Siri, but that takes a lot longer than writing witty prompts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.