Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video gives a detailed look at of Apple's upcoming "champagne" iPhone 5S along with a close look at the blue low-cost iPhone "5C". The video, posted by AppAdvice, compares the backplates of both devices to the existing iPhone 5 and gives the clearest look yet at the design of Apple's newest iPhones.

As noted in multiple descriptions of the "gold" iPhone, the color is closer to a light champagne than it is to a bright and garish gold. The video depicts a subdued gold color that matches well with the silver of the existing iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5C and 5S backplates in the video appear to be similar in size to the existing iPhone 5. While the low-cost iPhone is slightly thicker due to its polycarbonate shell, the iPhone 5S is nearly identical to the iPhone 5 with the exception of the dual-LED rear flash. The iPhone 5S, which will be Apple's new flagship device, is also expected to feature a redesigned home button to incorporate its fingerprint sensor.

Though the iPhone 5S will feature improvements to the processor along with camera upgrades and other enhancements, the iPhone 5C will likely utilize existing iPhone 5 parts as it is rumored to be a replacement for the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5C is shown in blue, but it will come in an array of colors including blue, green, red, yellow, and white. Apple is not expected to produce a black iPhone 5C, but all of the 5Cs will feature standard black faceplates with a matching black Apple logo on the back of the device.

iphonecomparison.png
As noted by AppAdvice the iPhone 5S features a shiny metallic logo along with thinner "iPhone" text, which appears to be inline with both the lettering on the iPhone 5C and Apple's overall adoption of skinnier fonts.

Earlier today a rumor surfaced suggesting that Apple could have a "graphite" colored iPhone 5S in the works, which would accompany the champagne/white, silver/white, and slate/black iPhone 5S varieties.

Both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C are expected to debut at an iPhone event held in September.

Article Link: Newly Released Video Offers Detailed Look at Upcoming 'Champagne' iPhone 5S and Low-Cost iPhone

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Okay, leakers. We get it. There's a 5C coming out in several colourful polycarbonate shells and a 5S that'll be available in champaign/gold and maybe graphite.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
At what point does this stop being news as every leak is basically showing the same thing the previous leak showed?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Black faceplates on the C might look strange. I figured they'd be white like the colored iPods.

Tim Cook: double down
Leaks: triple down

The more they make ahead of time, the more leaks there will be. There's nothing Apple can really do about that short of announcing it months in advance, which they'll never do.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
We need a video of that amazingly awesome looking graphite model! That is what I will get (if any) of the iPhones...

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Fake. I have a GooPhone i5 as well as an iPhone 5.

The cut around the microphone and the camera look way more like they do on my GooPhone.

What I think we have here are chinese cloners trying to get ready for what Apple might release based on what they've either seen or heard.

If you've ever seen a GooPhone up close you'll know it's really hard to tell the difference between it and the real thing. With that in mind I can't take any of these videos seriously.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This site should be called MacSpoilers now haha.

I don't think the gold looks all that bad. I wouldn't buy it, but I can see the appeal it would have to a lot of people. Apple has an opportunity to make the "S" series of phone always have more color options that could kind of help sales for the years in between redesigns. Just an idea.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Still really dislike the 5 shape and thin flimsy body. It just looks so un-apple if one could say that. So fragile, but not in a good futuristic techy way. I've bought the 3gs, 4S and 5 and still will cling to the 4S. I will certainly not be buying the 5s, would rather buy the c and it seems I am not alone.

Another year for the 4s, it's so solid this phone, love it. Would love the cpu bump too but we'll see about 6.

Shame Apple, I am not going to buy a Samsung but you are not giving me any reason to give you more money on phones (especially your flagship) at this stage.

So where did the 5 I bought go then I hear you ask? My gf and she loves it. We are of different genders.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Generally when Apple uses color, there is a palette at least that goes together, whether its the same saturation, or complementary colors, they feel like a they go together. When you look at the lineup of whats been leaked in terms of the 5C and 5S, its a mess. When you look at all of those phones together its all over the place. No cohesion.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Am intrigued that, to my recollection, we have only seen the champagne 5S backplate. How come this shell is so widely leaked and not the others? Every time, the 5S shell is shown with slate/white 5 backplates. Why haven't the other 5S shells been leaked?

We've still not seen the front despite the fact that these devices must be in full production by now. September 10th still has some potential surprises.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
I thought all the 5S's came with dual LED flash. That video makes it look like only the champagne model has it. :confused:

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Okay, leakers. We get it. There's a 5C coming out in several colourful polycarbonate shells and a 5S that'll be available in champaign/gold and maybe graphite.

I take it the reason you are visiting an Apple rumor site to begin with is because you are looking for leaks/rumors about future Apple products.

Don't blame the suppliers for feeding the demand.

----------

I thought all the 5S's came with dual LED flash. That video makes it look like only the champagne model has it. :confused:

Uhh maybe because the other two aren't 5S ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.