Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Hi there. What I'd like to know is, If I go through Apple's online store and buy an iPhone using the finance option to pay for it, but they decline my finance request, then what happens? Does the order get cancelled automatically, or will Apple request me to pay via a different method, which I cannot at the moment, in which case will I be able to cancel the order?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well if you are declined, you won't even have the option to make a purchase, because there will be no credit information.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Well if you are declined, you won't even have the option to make a purchase, because there will be no credit information.

No... if you are declined, it doesn't mean you have no credit, it just means your credit is deem not "good enough."

You are allowed with proceed with a valid credit card. If u default, that's yours and your cc issuer problem.

You can even proceed with a debit card, as long as it has that visa/mc logo.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
#1 If you think you're going to be declined, don't bother.

#2 If it's because you don't know, check your credit first. Avoid the inquiry. As long as your credit is decent, it's not horrible to get approved, but it must not be "kinda bad" or else see #1.

#3 If you can't afford to pay for it outright IF you are declined, you need to find a cheaper phone. Period. No need for the "I don't need advice". You do. Credit wouldn't be an issue otherwise =).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
No... if you are declined, it doesn't mean you have no credit, it just means your credit is deem not "good enough."

Not what I said. If you are declined for the credit card, there will be no credit information of that particular card in order to proceed with placing an order in the first place.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Not what I said. If you are declined for the credit card, there will be no credit information of that particular card in order to proceed with placing an order in the first place.

And OP said "or will Apple request me to pay via a different method."

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
And OP said "or will Apple request me to pay via a different method."

He also asked will the order be cancelled automatically, and I said that because you don't have information for the card that you applied for because you were declined, you could not place the order to begin with. Therefore, there is no need for Apple to request a different payment method.

Still has nothing to do with me saying he would have "no credit", even though I did not say that in the first place.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
You can't order it with the financing option until you have been approved as far as I know.

You must first be approved, and then you can make a purchase using the credit card that they (Barclay) issue you.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
#1 If you think you're going to be declined, don't bother.

#2 If it's because you don't know, check your credit first. Avoid the inquiry. As long as your credit is decent, it's not horrible to get approved, but it must not be "kinda bad" or else see #1.

#3 If you can't afford to pay for it outright IF you are declined, you need to find a cheaper phone. Period. No need for the "I don't need advice". You do. Credit wouldn't be an issue otherwise =).

This. Never finance anything that isnt a house. Especially a phone since new ones come out all the time. The old one will be obsolete soon anyway. You should get a cheap phone now and save up. I would look at some third party sites such as ebay to get a cheaper price. Anyway this is my opinion do as you wish.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
As someone else said, if you think you might be declined, it's best not to bother at all - because the very fact that you have been declined credit can in itself then be another negative against your credit score and make it even harder to get credit later when you really need it.

Find another way to afford it - like buying used for example.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
This. If you can't buy a $200 phone outright you can't afford it.

I take the OP is referring to the off contract option, for which the 16 GB version costs $649 in the US. (Over €700 in most european countries)

Also, posts of those kind are useless. The OP isn't asking anyone to judge his personal decisions in any way. Your advice is as banal as it gets, no one is requesting it and proves how people can't read questions.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
As someone else said, if you think you might be declined, it's best not to bother at all - because the very fact that you have been declined credit can in itself then be another negative against your credit score and make it even harder to get credit later when you really need it.
Declines aren't recorded. It's the hard pull that negatively impacts one's credit.

Why in the world would you finance a phone?
Same reason people finance all sorts of other stuff.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
We're here to help OP with his question not to be his financial adviser.

This.

Though to briefly respond to some of those that have provided their opinion on the subject of financing however despite me not really asking for it, I will just say that regardless of how you feel towards financing, not everyone in this world is graced with the sort of disposable income certain people appear to have, financing may well be a more expensive way of paying for something but it spreads the cost, and it enables those less fortunate to buy products they would normally have to save up years to get.

And never judge a book by it's covers; some of us are hard up or worse; in debt, thru no real fault of our own. It could be due to a mountain of unexpected bills, house maintenance, rent or mortgagee payments, being made redundant and having to take a much lower paying job as a result... et cetera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.