Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Any idea how to keep and sync the same aperture library on two computers (MacBook Pro & iMac) ? Is there any way if syncing same library across devices? I'm a bit stuck.

Last edited:

gr997s

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Any idea how to keep and sync the same aperture library on two computers (MacBook Pro & iMac) ? Is there any way if syncing same library across devices? I'm a bit stuck.

I use Mozy as a cloud backup service. They have a product called stash that does just what you asked for. I have iPhoto set up that way. Changes done on one computer will update the file on the other(s)...

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

This is just a really bad idea... except for the recommendation in post #2 to use an external drive and move it from computer to computer.

Aperture is absolutely positively not designed to be shared. The vast majority of people who claim problems with the library are people who have attempted to do this in one form or another.

Just don't do it.

Here is what you can do:

If it is one user accessing the library on more than one computer... use Aperture's built in ability to move projects from one machine to another. I do that all the time by creating projects on my MBA when in the field... and then move that project into my master library on my iMac once I return. This is safe... and Aperture facilitates this in a fantastic manner.

If a second user needs to view (but never edit) the library... then you can perform a regular one-direction clone of the library to the second user's computer. For example... let it update every night. It is safe. However... if the second user updates anything... they lose any changes the next day. Hence, it is only for viewing (not manipulating) a copy of the database.

If you have two users who need to independently edit... then use two separate libraries, one for each user... and each user independently checks data out of projects located in a 3rd master library. It takes coordination to make sure that only one user checks out a library at a time. This can run into problems... so be careful.

Running a single library on a shared drive (ex NAS)... or using a sync service to keep two libraries in sync... is the digital equivalent of playing russian roulette. One of these days it will be fatal.

Another way of saying it... go ahead and share your library if you don't give a crap about your pictures.

/Jim

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
This is just a really bad idea... except for the recommendation in post #2 to use an external drive and move it from computer to computer.

Aperture is absolutely positively not designed to be shared. The vast majority of people who claim problems with the library are people who have attempted to do this in one form or another.

Just don't do it.

Here is what you can do:

If it is one user accessing the library on more than one computer... use Apertures built in ability to move projects from one machine to another. I do that all the time by creating projects on my MBA when in the field... and then move that project into my master library on my iMac once I return. This is safe... and Aperture facilitates this in a fantastic manner.

If a second user need to view (but never edit) the library... then you can perform a regular one-direction clone of the library to the second user's computer. For example... let it update every night. It is safe. However... if the second user updates anything... they lose changes the next day. Hence, it is only for viewing (not manipulating) a copy of the database.

If you have two users who need to independently edit... use two separate libraries... that a user independently checks data out of a 3rd master library. It takes coordination to make sure that only one user checks out a library at a time. This can run into problems... so be careful.

Running a single library on a shared drive (ex NAS)... or using a sync service to keep two libraries in sync... is the digital equivalent of playing russian roulette. One of these days it will be fatal.

Another way of saying it... go ahead and share your library if you don't give a crap about your pictures.

/Jim

Thanks guys for your help. Especially this detailed input. I am in the middle of establishing my workflow. All I want is to being able to edit my library which is connects to ex HDD connected to iMac in my MacBook and do some adjustments here and there. I would prefer the whole library to be accessible..

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks guys for your help. Especially this detailed input. I am in the middle of establishing my workflow. All I want is to being able to edit my library which is connects to ex HDD connected to iMac in my MacBook and do some adjustments here and there. I would prefer the whole library to be accessible..

The thing you probably really need to make sure of is to close Aperture on the iMac... and ejecting the drive prior to moving it to your MacBook. Also... of course the same applies in the reverse.

I use an iMac (library is on the SSD) along with a MBA (also SSD). Once you get used to working on an iMac, then it feels like a real step backwards to go to a laptop for doing work inside of Aperture. You may want to consider if this is something that you really want to do.

Personally, using my MBA remote is more for importing pictures during a trip, and to do early library work on it. I also have my Nik Software suite on the MBA so I can use that on some of my best pictures.

BTW: To move projects to/from Aperture... you use the following pair of commands to complete the task. It is very easy to do, and very robust.
  • Export Project as a New Library
  • Import library
/Jim

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK

From this post ^^ it sounds like you've got your Aperture library on your iMac's internal drive, but all the images are referenced on an external drive - is this the case?

If so, then your easiest solution by far would be simply to make your library managed, and keep it on the external drive. This way you could access the managed library on whichever computer the drive was connected to - no need for exporting etc.

Also, make sure you back up your external drive.

Hope that helps.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
From this post ^^ it sounds like you've got your Aperture library on your iMac's internal drive, but all the images are referenced on an external drive - is this the case?

If so, then your easiest solution by far would be simply to make your library managed, and keep it on the external drive. This way you could access the managed library on whichever computer the drive was connected to - no need for exporting etc.

Also, make sure you back up your external drive.

Hope that helps.

You are correct. Also though about doing it that way. No need for SSD upgrade of my MacBook Air then as the library will rest on external drive. Do you have any recommendation of the fast, reliable and a good one?

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
You are correct. Also though about doing it that way. No need for SSD upgrade of my MacBook Air then as the library will rest on external drive. Do you have any recommendation of the fast, reliable and a good one?

To be honest, I think commenting on "reliable" HDDs is a bit of a minefield. ALL drives fail eventually, and there's often no way to know it's coming. That's why you MUST backup regularly.

To get you started though, I'll give you a few pointers about the kind of thing I'd look for:
1) If your macbook has USB3 then I'd say definitely get a drive that uses it, and preferably one with a SATA3 controller for optimum speed (thunderbolt will be even faster, but also significantly more expensive).

2) Consider whether you want a desktop or pocket HDD - will you be using it on the go? If so, pocket might be preferable, but be sure to check that your MacBook Air definitely delivers enough power from the USB ports to power an HDD platter. If not, you'll want a desktop HDD that has its own power supply.

3) Once you've found a hard drive that meets your needs, go and find another different one to use for your backup! (Personally I prefer to use different makes & models for my backups - do not buy 2 versions of the same drive from the same vendor at the same time. If they happen to be from a bad batch then both drives could fail at the same time).

Personally I like drives from Samsung, WD, and Seagate. I've had two very bad experiences with Hitachi drives and will never buy another. HOWEVER, every user will have different drives that they like / dislike for the same reason - we've all been burned by a particular brand (that's why I mix it up with the backups).

Hope that helps.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
To be honest, I think commenting on "reliable" HDDs is a bit of a minefield. ALL drives fail eventually, and there's often no way to know it's coming. That's why you MUST backup regularly.

To get you started though, I'll give you a few pointers about the kind of thing I'd look for:
1) If your macbook has USB3 then I'd say definitely get a drive that uses it, and preferably one with a SATA3 controller for optimum speed (thunderbolt will be even faster, but also significantly more expensive).

2) Consider whether you want a desktop or pocket HDD - will you be using it on the go? If so, pocket might be preferable, but be sure to check that your MacBook Air definitely delivers enough power from the USB ports to power an HDD platter. If not, you'll want a desktop HDD that has its own power supply.

3) Once you've found a hard drive that meets your needs, go and find another different one to use for your backup! (Personally I prefer to use different makes & models for my backups - do not buy 2 versions of the same drive from the same vendor at the same time. If they happen to be from a bad batch then both drives could fail at the same time).

Personally I like drives from Samsung, WD, and Seagate. I've had two very bad experiences with Hitachi drives and will never buy another. HOWEVER, every user will have different drives that they like / dislike for the same reason - we've all been burned by a particular brand (that's why I mix it up with the backups).

Hope that helps.

What about storing reference files on SSD and masters on HDD connected to iMac just to speed the performance of the aperture. How do you sync two reference folders between iMac and MacBook in case of working on the go with MacBook for example? Bearing in mind I would like to have same galleries, projects and albums synced accross all the devices..
Quite confusing..

Last edited:

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
How do you sync two reference folders between iMac and MacBook in case of working on the go with MacBook for example? Bearing in mind I would like to have same galleries, projects and albums synced accross all the devices..

You can't. Aperture doesn't support multiple synched devices all trying to edit a single, remote library. The closest solution is the one I suggested earlier - by putting ALL your photos inside the aperture library as managed files, Aperture doesn't care what device is opening it because each computer has access to ALL the assets at all times.

What about storing reference files on SSD and masters on HDD connected to iMac just to speed the performance of the aperture.

If you want a performance boost then you could get an external thunderbolt SSD and keep an entire managed library on that (it should be just as quick as your internal drive, or at least so close that you won't notice any difference).

If you want to keep your master files and your library separate then you cannot sync projects/albums. What you'll need to do instead is create smaller working libraries on your macbook, then merge these with your iMac's "master" library when you're back home.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
You can't. Aperture doesn't support multiple synched devices all trying to edit a single, remote library. The closest solution is the one I suggested earlier - by putting ALL your photos inside the aperture library as managed files, Aperture doesn't care what device is opening it because each computer has access to ALL the assets at all times.

If you want a performance boost then you could get an external thunderbolt SSD and keep an entire managed library on that (it should be just as quick as your internal drive, or at least so close that you won't notice any difference).

If you want to keep your master files and your library separate then you cannot sync projects/albums. What you'll need to do instead is create smaller working libraries on your macbook, then merge these with your iMac's "master" library when you're back home.

I'm begging to picture that. Would you mind to point me on what workflow should look like then considering the fact that I'm editing on remote location pls? Also is there much of a speed difference between external HDD and thunderbolt SSD in terms of rendering managed files? Thx a million..

Last edited:

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I'm begging to picture that. Would you mind to point me on what workflow should look like then considering the fact that I'm editing on remote location pls? Also is there much of a speed difference between external HDD and thunderbolt SSD in terms of rendering managed files? Thx a million..

Workflow means different things to different people so it’s hard to advise without knowing how you work already. For me, workflow means getting my computer to work for me while I am away from it: Creating batch automation is workflow – manually applying an "S" curve to 100 different images is not. For that reason, the length of time it takes to render preview images is irrelevant to me. I don’t want to be sat on front of my computer while Aperture imports images, renders previews, or makes batch changes because it’s dead time that I could be using more efficiently.

When you're editing in a remote loccation, is this because you've been on a shoot in the field? If these new shots are the only ones you need to edit on your macbook I’d suggest starting a brand new managed project, import all your images and then go to lunch while your macbook renders the previews. When you get back you can edit them on your internal drive & when you get home you can merge that managed library with your main library.

If you need to edit old photographs in the field then you’ll obviously need your full library, but all the preview images should already be rendered. After you import new images, Aperture will start rendering previews right away and will continue doing so until they’re all done. If you use a managed library on an external drive then all your rendered previews live on that external drive, so you will see them instantly whichever computer you plug the drive into. Your previews will be a smallish JPEG (think seriously about how big you REALLY need them to be) so even viewing the file from a slow external HDD should take less than half a second.

The larger you library gets, the slower it will get and the harder it will become to manage as a single entity. So I create a brand new managed library for every single job / client – using lots of small managed libraries makes it easy to move, manage & backup my work. I have no need to compare a shot for Client A with one for Client B, so have no issue with separating their images in different libraries. I also have a separate library for personal work where I keep ALL my vacation shots etc.

I use Aperture on a 2009 iMac with an internal 500GB HDD. When actually making edits in Aperture the image updates instantly. An external USB3 HDD with a sata3 controller should work just as fast as my imac's internal drive. If you buy a thunderbolt SSD then I’d guess it would be even faster (using an external SSD over USB3 will see slight gains over a USB3 HDD, but I think the bottleneck will be your controller so the performance boost of SSD over HDD won’t be as great).

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

Since you have an iMac and a MBP... I STRONGLY recommend that you pick ONE of them as the "home" of your library. It is hard to imagine why that wouldn't be the iMac... so I'll assume that it is.

I would personally be shocked if you really needed to have your entire Aperture library with you while mobile... unless you are on extremely long trips. For example... I was gone for 10 weeks, using A3 every day... and I still did not need my entire A3 library with me.

A3 is superb at allowing you to transfer projects in/out of your library. Hence... you might create a new library when in the field... do whatever editing work, rating, stacking, key wording, geotagging, etc on that project and when you get home... just pull it into your main A3 library. BTW: I recommend using managed libraries in the field... and whatever you want (managed or referenced) back at home. The reason for managed in the field is for simplicity of moving the entire package between machines when you return.

Also... you can choose to take projects with you while remote... and check them back into your main library when you return. It really works great.

I think it is extremely foolish to try to share/sync A3 libraries across the two machines in some hokey manner. You will get burned. Instead, use the built in rock-solid methods to transfer projects. The program is not meant to sync... and you will eventually lose tons of work (I have several hundred hours invested in my library).

/Jim

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Using Multiple Libraries...where???

Note to New Users:

flyn24 makes references to using multiple Libraries in Aperture, but this isn't a function that is accessible under any Menu pulldown unless you know where to look. So...

Open Aperture Help and click the following in the side bar:

Working With Aperture Library

Working With Library files

Creating New Libraries

There you will find the answers to your questions.

Dale

shammyd

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009

Absolutely YES. Get a LaCie ruggedized 1TB drive. I strongly believe that the LaCie drives last longer and are more reliable than Seagate, etc. you can get them on Amazon.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Nice to read through this thread.

I have a 2009 iMac as my Main machine but use my work 2013 MBP for my most recent work. I had wanted to be able to have a Joint Library to access on either machine and work away but can see this as a headache down the road.

So, I have newer photos on my MBP and older ones on the iMac.

I suppose I can "simply" export the library or parts of the library from the MBP and copy to the iMac and then Import and this will Add those (newer MBP images with all adjustments) to the current iMac library and NOT simply create a new one...right?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I use RAW and have been hesitant to make the switch and possibly loose any adjustments. And the iMac is considerably slower than the MBP.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Nice to read through this thread.

I have a 2009 iMac as my Main machine but use my work 2013 MBP for my most recent work. I had wanted to be able to have a Joint Library to access on either machine and work away but can see this as a headache down the road.

So, I have newer photos on my MBP and older ones on the iMac.

I suppose I can "simply" export the library or parts of the library from the MBP and copy to the iMac and then Import and this will Add those (newer MBP images with all adjustments) to the current iMac library and NOT simply create a new one...right?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I use RAW and have been hesitant to make the switch and possibly loose any adjustments. And the iMac is considerably slower than the MBP.

If you are just wanting to make use of the bigger screen. You could just use the iMac in Target Display Mode.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
If you are just wanting to make use of the bigger screen. You could just use the iMac in Target Display Mode.

my iMac is too old for this..I have a 24" one.

one reason i use the MBP is it is speedier, reads the card straight to the Mac and is quicker, and allows me to be with the family--not in the basement

but thanks

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Absolutely YES. Get a LaCie ruggedized 1TB drive. I strongly believe that the LaCie drives last longer and are more reliable than Seagate, etc. you can get them on Amazon.

LaCie doesn't manufacture drives. They just buy drives from other manufacturers and package them in an enclosure. In other words, many "LaCie" drives are Seagate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.