Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a newly redesigned AppleCare website that includes 24/7 live chat support, reports 9to5Mac. First rumored in early August, the redesign includes large, easy-to-click buttons and a simpler design.

The page features links to each of Apple's products, including Macs, iPods, iPhones, and iPads, as well as a number of services including iTunes and other apps.

applesupport.jpg
When clicking one of the aforementioned categories, the site will offer further options. For example, in the iPhone section of the help site, users are presented with simple topic problems to narrow down the scope of an issue.

After an issue has been selected, customers are able to talk to choose from several different help options, including a phone call with Apple Support, a live chat session, or an in-person appointment at the Genius Bar or other Apple Authorized Service Provider.

applesupport2.jpg
According to 9to5Mac, both the site design and the 24-hour chat support are being introduced to customers on a rolling basis.
On the topic of live chat support, we're told that 24/7 chat support has begun rolling out. Initially, the support was limited to certain hardware and software, but now Apple is supporting both Mac and iOS Device support at every hour of the day and night.

While the new AppleCare site has begun going live for some readers, other users are reporting that they are still seeing the old website. It is likely that Apple will complete the release of the redesign in the coming days.
Following its Support site redesign, Apple is expected to make significant changes to its AppleCare services in the coming months, aiming to switch to per-user AppleCare subscription plans rather than offering specific device coverage. Apple has also begun to perform more iPhone repairs in house, electing to replace displays and other parts instead of providing device replacements.

Article Link: Apple Launches Redesigned AppleCare Website With 24/7 Live Chat Support

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
yay, now I have someone to talk to when I'm alone...24/7.

Maybe get out and around some people if you can?

Of course maybe you could have a regular "phone" pal..... Maybe I'll give this a shot on those slow nights. They'll see the number and be like "Norm"... you know like in cheers?

I do like the idea of this and think it's a step in the right direction. Am wondering like the above poster if they will have replacement authority.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Cue Indian tech support

AppleCare Tech Support Live Chat 20:45:01 EDT

Chander: ःेल्लो म्य फ्रिएन्द

Uuuum, hello???

Chander: होय, कशी मी तुम्हाला मदत करू शकतात?

Last edited:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Are they authorized to issue replacements and service orders like the telephone people are?

Works very well.

I had called the other day to ask if they could send out a replacement rubber foot for my MBP rather than have to take it into the store. They put me on hold and never came back on the phone, so I thought, screw it, and I just put tape over the hole.

I tried this out, and within minutes, the conversation was over, and the person I spoke to had set up a replacement foot to be sent out to me. Was very nice to not have to talk on the phone.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Thank goodness they didn't go with Google's "oh you need help? Too bad, we've already got your money and your personal information" version of support.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Thank goodness they didn't go with Google's "oh you need help? Too bad, we've already got your money and your personal information" version of support.

That's not a fair comment. I had ordered the original Nexus 7 and had a minor issue with it. Three days later I had a brand new one in my hands.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Hope this is better then the service I got in store.

I was able to visit the main Apple reseller in Melbourne. And I asked does the airport express have 802.11ac. I rhetorical question I know just to test him. And he tried to sell me the airport extreme for 20 minutes and was getting pretty irate before he realised his mistake and was like "No but the extreme does".

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Sounds nice. Now I can have my own hold music and even be watching TV when I wait for them to respond. Dell has had this for a wile and I have used it a lot a work, much more efficient when you can be doing other things at the same time.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
I applied for this position back in May 2013. It was for an in-home AppleCare advisor. You had to be available to work part-time hours, including either Saturday or Sunday, hours to be determined. A landline was required. Apparently the pay isn't too great (or else I believe my knowledge of Apple products is over-rated).

But the final insult was, no matter what version of Apple OS you use or how many Apple products you own and use, they required knowledge of Windows... which gave me an idea of the kind of customers I would be dealing with.

"Where's the Start key?"

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
and the person I spoke to had set up a replacement foot to be sent out to me. Was very nice to not have to talk on the phone.
You'd rather trust a chatroom rather than speak to somebody in person? :eek:

Honestly, this is what's wrong these days. Everyone cowers behind a keyboard. In 10 years I predict "Interpersonal Skills" will be an upper level course offered at major universities.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
Per user of AppleCare is definitely better than per device for someone like me who has multiple Apple products. It makes more sense as AppleCare for time capsules and airport extremes were already covered by your Mac AppleCare Protection Plan.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Honestly, this is what's wrong these days. Everyone cowers behind a keyboard. In 10 years I predict "Interpersonal Skills" will be an upper level course offered at major universities.

Amen! Being mid-30's, my friends and I often discuss how we're "in between" the age demographics of tech savvy and tech dependent. It's sad how many college graduates lack social skills necessary in work and life (horror stories from H.R. friends). Anti-social networking and a dependence on tech to create a "perfect" edited persona have created a world of false idealism with a crispy anti-social coat.

Great quick video on this topic, very eye opening:

Loneliness Illustrated So Beautifully You Will Need To Tell Someone

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Are they authorized to issue replacements and service orders like the telephone people are?

Probably but it will be by mail just like the telephone people are supposed to. They have no authority over the stores and aren't allowed to say what stores will do. They can issue a replacement by mail or make an appointment at a store to test further.

My hope is that this will be free and will be required for all folks hitting the website. No more of this choice to make an appointment or try online support. Require it first, out the transcripts and diagnostic logs in the device record. And if it comes to needing an appointment show them next available for their area first rather than location when there's more than one like in major cities. And for heavens sake have in store techs list their language skills and if someone selects service in a certain language don't send them to a store that has no one on staff that speaks that without a clear instruction that there is no support for that language and they need to bring their own translator.

----------

But the final insult was, no matter what version of Apple OS you use or how many Apple products you own and use, they required knowledge of Windows... which gave me an idea of the kind of customers I would be dealing with.

Yep. You need to be able to walk someone through downloading and installing iTunes for windows, fixing mobile device support issues, loading the iCloud control panel, importing photos etc.

Because they don't support Windows in store.

As for users too stupid to use a computer, you get that on the Mac side also

----------

Per user of AppleCare is definitely better than per device for someone like me who has multiple Apple products. It makes more sense as AppleCare for time capsules and airport extremes were already covered by your Mac AppleCare Protection Plan.

But it won't likely be that simple. Unlimited phone/chat calls will be by user but hardware coverage will likely still be by device. It doesn't make sense otherwise since they would have to make the program crazy expensive to cover the average of users and the extreme owners so those that just have a phone or an iPad or such would be screwed.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I have had AT&T restart my gateway at 3AM before. It's really hard to be on the phone at weird hours. You have to be respectful of others sleeping. And often times you get put on hold, and then they have you talking for like 20 minutes trying to solve an issue.

Sure, you could wait until the morning, but sometimes dealing with problems then and there is better.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Ohhhhhh... "Large Easy-to-Click Buttons"

How ever did we navigate the World Wide Web before this?

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
I'd rather use the ATM rather than deal with an employee...

Amen! Being mid-30's, my friends and I often discuss how we're "in between" the age demographics of tech savvy and tech dependent. It's sad how many college graduates lack social skills necessary in work and life (horror stories from H.R. friends). Anti-social networking and a dependence on tech to create a "perfect" edited persona have created a world of false idealism with a crispy anti-social coat.

Great quick video on this topic, very eye opening:

Loneliness Illustrated So Beautifully You Will Need To Tell Someone

Thanks for this great share, I posted it to my wall. I have been going in and out of Facebook precisely for this reason and someday, I will just bag it. Some of my high school buddies seemed to have retired by now and spend hours on end posting pretty pictures and/or inspirational quotes Ad nauseum that I have to sift through miles of their posts just to find out news about others I am interested in. We have lost the ability to relate to each other in person and frankly in clear and cogent writing.

Regarding Apple Support's chat feature, that there is indeed a real person on the other end, maybe taking advantage of the different time zones the call centers are located in and that if an issue gets too difficult, you have an option of speaking to a live person. I have found Apple Care to be invaluable, and quite a different service experience from other large corporations.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040

Well, I should say that as someone who enjoys language, it was nice not to have to talk to tier-1 Apple technical support (some of whom I'm sure are very good). When I called in last time, I explained that the black rubber foot had fallen off of my laptop. She then repeated what I had said to her, "To confirm, you are saying the bottom of your computer is sliding away from the screen." I had to explain that there are rubber feet on the MBP several times. She then put me on hold and never came back.

I was happy not to do that again. I've often had the experience of being misunderstood when I call Apple about something. I think chatting might be easier for Apple, not only the customer, in that in this case at least, I was understood immediately.

So it's not "what's wrong these days." There is nothing wrong these days in general. I get tired of these pithy aphorisms about things going downhill.

techmanmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
this will be fun

I feel bad for these advisors. I used to work chat for clothing company and hated it and I bet this will be a nightmare. People are stupid and I bet this will be like the ER where idiots will just make the other people who need real help wait. I bet idiots will chat in about throwing their iphone in the microwave or forgotten passwords more than anything.

It looks clean and easy to use but I still bet idiots will put in the iphone is the issue but it is an apple id. This will be fun to watch. Even on here, I see people already asking stupid questions. I think this is a great idea but again, I feel for these guys, if anyone has ever worked with the public, you know, they are not bright and can imagine what it will be like with technology.

I know where I worked, people would lose their jacket or set it on fire and think it was out responsibility to replace it. They also always forgot their account passwords. Do people not ever write stuff down? Wonder how many will chat them about their phone bill or upgrades. Haha. U cant wait to see. lol. If people are really stupid about clothes then I cant imagine what they are like with technology. I think it will be most stupid issue but I think people will not understand that this is IT and for most issues, it will not be a 3 minute fix..

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is a good thing....I have a buddy who is often in need of help at odd hours of the day and I'm usually the target....I;m sending him the updated info....Might not get phone calls late at night any more...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.