Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, officials in San Francisco proudly touted a plan by Apple to move its existing Stockton Street flagship store three blocks north, giving the store a larger footprint and a prime location in the Union Square shopping district.

apple_store_sf_union_square_large.jpg
Apple's original design for new San Francisco flagship store
Apple's plans quickly ran into resistance, however, with critics panning Apple's proposal to remove a sculptural fountain along Stockton Street and the design's 80-foot-long windowless wall along a key pedestrian and transit corridor on Stockton. As the project proceeded through the city's planning process, officials made clear that significant changes would be needed for the project if it was to receive approval.

As noted by the San Francisco Chronicle, Apple has now filed revised plans for the store, addressing the major criticisms of the project. Among the most prominent changes is a move to retain the fountain by noted sculpture artist Ruth Asawa, who died earlier this month. The fountain will be moved slightly, but will remain close to its current location.

asawa_san_francisco_fountain.jpg
Ruth Asawa's "San Francisco Fountain" that Apple has now proposed keeping on the site
Another change for the project involves the addition of an eight-foot wide window along the Stockton Street frontage, extending from the sidewalk to the roof to break up the massing and provide visual interest for those passing by. The window will also continue across the roof of the store to create a skylight.
"We've been working with the city of San Francisco as they review our ideas for an Apple Store on Union Square," Apple spokeswoman Amy Bessette said Monday. "Our latest design includes a store with more natural light and a plaza on Stockton Street that includes the fountain by Ruth Asawa, just a few feet away from its current location."
A third change addresses planners' concerns about a monotonous glass wall along the main Post Street frontage, with Apple now proposing to pull the glass wall back by four feet from the metal frame of the building, offering a greater sense of depth and more shadows for visual interest.

City officials quoted in the story seem pleased by Apple's proposed changes, although the project must still pass through full review before it can be approved. Apple has not announced when it plans to open the new store, and any internal targets may yet be affected San Francisco's frequently unpredictable review and permitting processes.

Update: Renderings of the revised plan showing the fountain, vertical window along Stockton Street side, and recessed glass on Post Street frontage.

apple_store_sf_union_square_revised_front.jpg

apple_store_sf_union_square_revised_back.jpg

Article Link: Apple's Revised Plans for New Flagship San Francisco Store Will Keep Fountain, Tweak Facades

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm all for art, but I've seen that thing in person, and Apple would do everyone a favor by bulldozing it.

I don't think it's all that but hey that's art, it's all opinionated.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Just my personal opinion, but I was hoping they would get rid of it .... and maybe replace with a giant black MacPro with a fountain in the middle.
:)

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I'm all for art, but I've seen that thing in person, and Apple would do everyone a favor by bulldozing it.

if u designed something and someone wanted to move it or somehting, wouldnt u be upset?

Bishop1j

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011

I'm all for preserving history and all that, but that is one ugly fountain.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
There's a house on that parking garage...or building or whatever. But there's a house up there....

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

Seriously, that thing was ugly. And that's not an exaggeration like the hate for iOS 7 icons.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
San Francisco is about 2 things:

Going green.

Modern Art.

Apple will make a lot of people in San Fran happy by keeping that junk/modern-art/water-fountain where it is.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

What NY's said about World Trade building when opened.

They changed their mind.

Looking at picture, it is busy, and all green, but I have seen worse.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I still have no idea if that fountain is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, or a really cool piece of art.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
One thing I don't like about this design is with the giant window, pervs can easily look up someone's dress.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
What NY's said about World Trade building when opened.

They changed their mind.

New Yorkers didn't particularly care for the two Popsicle Sticks in the Sky until 9/11. Go back into Sherman and Peabody's Wayback Machine and read the print articles about the Twin Tower circa 1972-1976. What saved it was the Windows of the World restaurant.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Contradictory statement there. If art is opinionated, then by removing it, you really wouldn't be doing everyone a favor as some would appreciate it.

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
IMO, Apple should have hung tough on this one and merely offered to relocate the fountain to a place of the planning commission's choosing within the nearby Union Square Park...rather than trying to integrate an unattractive 40 year-old 'sculpture' into Apple's modernistic building design.

But this is just a sign of the Apple changes we'll continue seeing in the future. Tim Cook, by nature, is not a confrontational sort of guy. He'd rather switch than fight.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
New Yorkers didn't particularly care for the two Popsicle Sticks in the Sky until 9/11.

Loved the Twin Towers. Working in the WTC was a dream of mine as a kid. I could see them from Brooklyn where I mostly grew up.

Dream came true in my early 20's. Now everyone I worked with in WTC is dead.

The old towers will always occupy a special place for me.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If the architects do it right, they will probably choose a much better material than that brick for the fountain to sit on. It'll probably look great. :)

I'm really glad to hear about the side window!

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
San Francisco is the most over-rated city in the US. If there is an inch of public space not bathed in urine and vomit I didn't see it. Retard leftest zeigeist is now normative throughout the US. Its a pity to see the US in general, and California in particular, in free fall decline.

As a tourist, I never encountered the infamous urine / vomit. I am sure all the regular places though are completely different.

Russian Hill looks like a great place to live (if you had the money).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.