Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Hi Guys

I've just bought a new maxed out iMac and want to sell my old one (Mid 2010) (spec below)

IMAC 27"/5750/SD 1 PCE

PROCESSOR 2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE INTELCORE I7
MEMORY 8GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 4X2GB
HARD DRIVE 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
GRAPHICS ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE
WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

There is a small dent next to the CD drive slot but that's been there for years and not affected anything, other than that it's immaculate. Just got it back (last week) after having the screen replaced under applecare warranty (had a few dark smudges on it).

Anyway, I want to maximise how much I get for it (want to upgrade my Digital SLR) and figure Ebay is the best way but I'm wary of how much I'll end up paying in fees (and paypal fees) after the auction has finished!
Ideally want to end up with about £850 in my pocket (give or take a bit), any suggestions?

I'm in the UK.

Thanks,

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Amazon is a much safer way to sell something.

eBay always side with the buyer in a dispute. always.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Amazon is a much safer way to sell something.

eBay always side with the buyer in a dispute. always.

Tell me about it! That's why I don't want to use Ebay if possible I've been stung by bad buyers once too often.
Hadn't thought about Amazon, although I guess I'd still be paying a fee, will have to look into it.

rnauman821

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2004
Take 12.5% off each year that you own it. So if you paid $2000 and are selling it year 4, you could expect to get $1000 for the unit.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I've not sold a Mac on eBay in several years, but my last experience was a near-disaster. The buyer, after receiving my G5 Powermac, started making all kinds a goofy accusations about how what I sent was not what I advertised. They said I had swapped out various components for cheaper ones, and their proof was that some of the internal screws that held things in place were mis-matched. The buyer started asking for various concessions in the way of refunds, but I held strong. I offered to refund their money if they shipped it back, but I wasn't willing to pay for their shipping (and I'd already eaten an additional $50 or $60 on shipping it out the first time). The buyer apparently decided to keep it since I never heard back from them. The whole time I kept expecting either negative feedback or a contact from eBay, but nothing was forthcoming. Months later I checked back and the buyer was no longer a "registered user". My impression was that they wanted me to refund them some cash, but without really providing any real evidence that a refund was appropriate. Since then, I've pretty much stopped using eBay.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Too many stories like that on Ebay, especially since they stopped you being able to leave negative feedback for buyers.

Based on mauman's calcualtions my price seems about right at least...

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Too many stories like that on Ebay, especially since they stopped you being able to leave negative feedback for buyers.

Based on mauman's calcualtions my price seems about right at least...

Personally never had any problems with eBay, but I usually don't sell anything above 500 Euro. Although I did sell a camera once for 750. Transfer was done via direct bank, no PayPal, so I was protected. If PayPal is used, the seller always loses; any claim and PayPal will refund the money and take it from your account. The other side doesn't have to prove anything.

Yes, true a seller can't post any negative feedback anymore. eBay is a gamble if you're a seller.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I've sold many Macs on eBay, working and non-working. Never had an issue, always had happy buyers and great feedback.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
The other side doesn't have to prove anything.

But they do have to return a box and obtain proof of delivery.

----------

I've sold many Macs on eBay, working and non-working. Never had an issue, always had happy buyers and great feedback.

Some day you will get a complaint about your expensive item. Ebay will tell the buyer to send the item back and get proof of delivery. You will sign for a box that contains a couple of telephone directories. Ebay will take the money by direct debit from your bank account and give it to the buyer and then they will close the case.

You won't give the buyer negative feedback because ...................

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Man don't talk to me about selling on eBay. I sold a MacBook Pro 15 in 4 yrs ago. The buyer said its broken, eBay reversed the charge, and the buyer NEVER SENT IT BACK. I sold it almost brand new, no issues. If he wanted to return it by all means do so but I got ripped off hard. Never again.

Prior to this incident I've made dozens of sales without issue but losing $1700 makes me a little bit bitter.

I honestly don't think amazon is any better. Deal with Craigslist. Bring a friend or two when your do the transaction. Meet at a public place like Starbucks. That's what I've done when I sold my g4 iMac and ipad minis.

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Thanks for all the replies:

Craigslist is not a suitable alternative as I'm in the UK

Regarding Ebay in general, I've been a seller since it started and have many thousands of transactions (and a 100% positive 5 star rating). However, the last couple of years have see a dramatic decline in the way that sellers are protected/treated. I too have been stung by Ebay refunding immediately a buyer (who had messed me around for weeks) and absolutely not entering into any reasonable discussion with me around the issue (a long story) this ended costing me a lot of money and I'd lost the goods. It's really put me off selling high priced items anymore.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah eBay is a dangerous game, clearly state what you have all defects and terms and conditions. Document your sale well and you shouldn't have any problems.

Apple Forex

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
I have been selling on ebay for many years and I know many ins and outs to the business.

Question is, how fast do you need to sell it? If it is listed on ebay, it will be a for sure sell. However, the fees can really stack you up and you are going to end up paying more than 10% of the overall return. In addition, the price you will get for it is still uncertain.

Here are a few big fees you have to pay up front after the sale:

Final Value fee: 7%
Paypal Fee (unless covered by seller):3.5%
Shipping
Listing fees (if applicable)

To maximize, I would suggest selling it locally or listing on a local classifieds.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I have a maxed out 27" mid-2011 iMac that I'm looking to sell. I considered Amazon Marketplace, which I usually prefer, but it doesn't seem very friendly for selling BTO Macs. From what I can tell, it will get listed with other retail iMacs, and I would have to try to describe why mine is more expensive because it's BTO. No one will bother with it if it's higher priced. Am I missing something with selling on Amazon that would make this easier?

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Craigslist is not a suitable alternative as I'm in the UK

Try http://www.gumtree.com. Sound out potential buyers on the phone, arrange to meet somewhere safe, and insist on cash in exchange for a detailed receipt and a brief guarantee. I sold my MacBook Pro this way and avoided all the scammers that "hot" high-value items on eBay attract, and even with the fees to push your listing up the page (which is essential) the cost of the sale was much less than it would have been via the eBay/Paypal route.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Take 12.5% off each year that you own it. So if you paid $2000 and are selling it year 4, you could expect to get $1000 for the unit.

I would be more inclined to take 12.5% off for every year since it was released.

A 2009 iMac is worth pretty much the same whether it is 4 years old or 3 years old.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
You take a hit year one simply for the unit being used.

I am talking about adding a year potentially.

If you bought a 2011 iMac in October 2012 brand new (as the only Mac available) and then sold it in January 2013. That is 2011 Mac not a 3month old Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.