Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitfidelity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/bythenumbers/index.html

I love this site and am trying to recreate it. I've saved a local copy using Firefox but none of the animations in the tiles happen to work, which is weird, because they all seem to be CSS3 based. The index.htm file is pointing to the CSS file correctly, so I don't know what the problem is.

Anyone interested in taking a crack at it?

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Why do you need to reverse-engineer the site? Surely you can just create the effect from scratch.

It just seems to be a tile <div> with a CSS3 gradient applied with a container <div> overlaid containing the animated elements, in this case an icon and some text that slide up then back down on a timer.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
ApOks hit the nail on the head in my opinion, all I can add is use jQuery with the slider plugin to move content divs around based on ID's, z-indexing and event triggering using some not so tough to do Javascript. The rest is up to a good designer to make the nice looking tiles, but their behavior is pretty routine stuff.

http://jqueryui.com/slider/

bitfidelity

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
You guys are right. I also found some good information here that would probably let me create the full-screen animation effect.

I know this should probably be simple, but what is the easiest or best way to create the actual tile grid? Will merely pure CSS and floats do the trick?

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
You guys are right. I also found some good information here that would probably let me create the full-screen animation effect.

I know this should probably be simple, but what is the easiest or best way to create the actual tile grid? Will merely pure CSS and floats do the trick?

I found it amusingly ironic that the link you provided which uses CSS3 3D transforms doesn't work on MSIE browser and you're trying to create a Microsoft tiling page. I advise you use the basic concepts on that link but consider using the jQuery plugin I named. Add to the graphics any really advanced styling to accomplish the effect cross browser compatible (if needed at all), but be smart about it by optimizing or adding to CSS sprites if so.

Absolutely you'll use container div's and CSS2 floats and such to create the tiling effect. Is there any other way? If you were thinking a table -- that's for tabular data only, not a best practice these days. If not, what else did you consider?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.