Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels, the company behind popular virtualization software Parallels, has launched a new iPad app and subscription service called Parallels Access that allows iPad and iPad mini users to remotely access and use their Mac or Windows apps on the device.
With Parallels Access you can increase your productivity by accessing your computers and desktop applications from anywhere. You are able to access your professional business applications and get all your entertainment such as streaming video from your Mac or PC onto your iPad. And do it as though all your Windows and Mac applications were designed for your iPad.
The app allows users to interact with their desktop apps in the same way they would interact with their iPad apps, with the full range of iPad gestures available for compatible apps. Parallels Access translates what would usually be mouse clicks and movements into iPad-friendly alternatives.

Users must download the free Parallels Access Desktop app to their computer of choice in addition to the app on the iPad. They can then access their desktop apps via the Sprinboard-like App Launcher and switch between apps in the iOS-like App Switcher. The apps are only available to use on the iPad in "full screen" mode.

The app, though free, requires a subscription service and costs $79.99 a year per computer running a registered client. Parallels offers a free 14-day trial that allows users to test the app before purchasing.

Parallels Access is available for free for the iPad and iPad mini [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Parallels Access' Launches in App Store, Bringing Mac and Windows Access to the iPad

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The subscription is obviously an anti piracy measure and to avoid a major sticker shock, but $80 a year is a rather steep. They could probably only justify $20 as a stand alone app, it's just the way the App Store market is.

On the flip side, the number of users pirating their other mac software, the pool of potential real customers is probably quite small and pushed them to this approach.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
So, the many free or cheap alternatives out there that do exactly the same aren't good enough?

Or are the guys behind this just banking on some windows-on-a-mac fanboys to be frothing over their brand so much that they will pay for this, and like oh so many gym memberships, forget to cancel it and pay for it forever while not actually using it?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How is this different from the existing Parallels for iPhone and iPad?

Proji

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Think i will stick to using LogMeIn as it is free and works extremely well ;)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is pretty cool but fairly expensive (including Parallels user-hostile per-computer policy, same as their desktop emulation).

The pinch zoom looks brutally slow and unresponsive, I would not have shown that in the video. Still, I guess competition is good.

IllmasterMath

Cancelled
May 16, 2012
How is this different from the existing Parallels for iPhone and iPad?

They removed the existing Parallels Mobile from the App Store and replaced it with Parallels Access. In the process, it went from a $5 app to an annually-recurring $80 subscription. I really, really loathe subscription models applied to software.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
What is the difference with team viewer which is free (and also available for all platforms) ?

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Think i will stick to using LogMeIn as it is free and works extremely well ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure Parallels will be able to provide $80 of value over the already adequate alternatives on the market. Not to mention that by the time a year is up, whatever new features Parallels was offering, will likely have been added to alternatives like LogMeIn. The app market is changing too fast for me to want to jump into a one year/$80 contract, when who knows what the best app in this category will be in 12 months.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
What is the difference with team viewer which is free (and also available for all platforms) ?

TeamViewer, and the others, serve as a remote viewer and virtual keyboard & mouse. This app provides an experience that feels like you're still using an iPad app while accessing your Mac or PC.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Parallels Desktop is updated every year at $50 (vs. $65 at most retailers). $80 strikes me as exorbitant, particularly since Parallels Desktop is not included.

Parallels might as well just join the subscription party and offer both OS X and iOS clients at combined $50/year. I realize Apple takes 30% of the in-app purchase, but $80 ($56 after 30%) is just too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.