Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
One thing to note, a Core2Duo is not needed for the iMac5,1 firmware flash and the firmware flash does not need a Core2Duo.

Didn't know that. I thought a C2D was required. That's important given that the extra grunt of the C2D is not as important as the extra 1.3GB of RAM, IMO. Still required if you want 64-bit OSs and apps, of course. Given how old these things are, I would just leave in the CD if that's the case as I would not feel the expense worth it.

Will you check out the two on eBay I linked to above. Most eBay listings don't tell you if it's LGA or BGA.

Notwithstanding the above, they are both look like socket M pin. The second one even advertises at used in an iMac upgrade.

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Finally, this time (no really!)

Didn't know that. I thought a C2D was required. That's important given that the extra grunt of the C2D is not as important as the extra 1.3GB of RAM, IMO. Still required if you want 64-bit OSs and apps, of course. Given how old these things are, I would just leave in the CD if that's the case as I would not feel the expense worth it.

Notwithstanding the above, they are both look like socket M pin. The second one even advertises at used in an iMac upgrade.

I've been happy with my MacBook Pro early 2011 for a while now, however it's hard drive just failed and I was able to back it up to my 2TB iMac HD. Which brings me to my next point, I now have a job (grad student) and have an office to which I will be bringing my old iMac. I looked quickly on eBay just now and a T7600 now runs around $75, which is 100% within my budget. I know I'm finally upgrading three years later, but I thought I would announce that I'm FINALLY going ahead with it. I will keep you updated in the next few weeks after I receive the new processor. Thanks for all the help way back when.

- mar2194

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Kudos mar2194 for keeping this thread alive with the original topic. With a nice T7600 upgrade you should hopefully be able to get another few years out of that faithful old iMac.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I've been happy with my MacBook Pro early 2011 for a while now, however it's hard drive just failed and I was able to back it up to my 2TB iMac HD. Which brings me to my next point, I now have a job (grad student) and have an office to which I will be bringing my old iMac. I looked quickly on eBay just now and a T7600 now runs around $75, which is 100% within my budget. I know I'm finally upgrading three years later, but I thought I would announce that I'm FINALLY going ahead with it. I will keep you updated in the next few weeks after I receive the new processor. Thanks for all the help way back when.

- mar2194

You are very welcome. My father (87 years young) is still using my daughter's old T7200 iMac and it feels perfectly fine so a T7600 should work great in yours. Best of luck and props for keeping the old girl running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.