Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Buried in an article about Apple's upcoming Tokyo retail store, Bloomberg briefly mentions that Apple's September 10 media event will see the introduction of not only new iPhone models, but also new iPads.
The Cupertino, California-based company plans to introduce new versions of its phone and tablet at a Sept. 10 event, a person familiar with the matter has said, and the company promised "several more game changers" in the product pipeline as it tries to fend off Samsung Electronics Co. and Chinese makers selling cheaper handsets.
ipad_ipad_mini_hand.jpg

The September 10 date for Apple's iPhone media event was reported by AllThingsD earlier this month and all but confirmed over the following few days by a number of other sources, but the event had been thought to be focused solely on the iPhone and iOS 7.

Given the casual nature with which Bloomberg mentions that new iPads are expected at the event, it is possible that it is an error, as rumors have suggested that the new iPads would not appear until closer to the end of the year. Apple has even been reported to perhaps be pushing back the release of iOS 7 for iPad by a few weeks relative to the iPhone version of the software, with the new iPads and their version of iOS 7 appearing at a later media event.

Update: Bloomberg made a similar quiet mention of both iPhones and iPads appearing at the September 10 event in an article last week.

Update 2: Bloomberg has now updated its article to remove mention of new tablets at Apple's September 10 event.

Update 3: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has confirmed that there will be no iPads introduced at Apple's September 10 iPhone media event.

Article Link: Apple's September 10 iPhone Media Event Said to Also Include New iPads [Updated]

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah, doubt it. iOS 7 is already behind for the iPads. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release them that soon. Moreover, the September 10th event would be too busy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will upgrade my iPad mini if there is a retina version. The more I use my mini, the less I want my full sized iPad. I won't be upgrading that past a 3.

I use my mini all the time, and while the display is ok, I'll not be disappointed if I buy a retina iPad mini :D

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Yeah, doubt it. iOS 7 is already behind for the iPads. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release them that soon. Moreover, the September 10th event would be too busy.

Exactly. Until I see a Jim Dalrymple "Yep" about this I'm not going to believe it. October is much more likely.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
It wouldn't be that unusual to reveal the new iPads but hold off until the fall for their release.
Kinda like they did with the Mac Pro.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Holy cow! new iPads on September! Now this is news!!

I wish I also knew if they are going to introduce new iPhones too!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seems to me it makes more sense to split these in to separate events. Unless Apple is planning some big event for new Macs.

carbonrain

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, TX
The new iPhones are great and all, but iOS 7 beta doesn't play nice on the once-resolutionary iPad 3rd gen.

Bring on the new iPads!

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Now that I am thinking about it... I highly doubt it... We should have seen the prototypes of the new full size iPad design already 10 times a day from those chinese blogs...

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So we should see
Flagship iPhone 5S
New iPhone 5C
Flagship redesigned iPad 5
New iPad mini w/ retina
and iOS 7

All at the same event?

Seems a bit much if I'm honest.

Unless they're planning to do a completely unique OSX/Mac event a bit later on I would have thought iPhones + MacBooks at one event and then iPads + iMac/Mac Pro's/OSX at the next event.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Now that I am thinking about it... I highly doubt it... We should have seen the prototypes of the new full size iPad design already 10 times a day from those chinese blogs...

We have seen many cases though, which could mean they are at the end of the development cycle and production will start on them now. With a release of a few months from now (Oct like others were suggesting)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.