Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yahya4k

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
This seems to be a common enough problem coz Safari and Gooogle autocomplete the phrase 'ipad screen goes black' when i start the search, but i hav yet to find a solution.

It doesnt matter what I am doing.. Whether I am watching youtube, or just going through the settings... or doing nothing...the screen would go black and then the Apple logo will appear, then it would go pure black .:confused:

Anyone had this problem and please does anyone hav a solution that doesnt include packing it up and sending it off for repairs? Thnx

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
This seems to be a common enough problem coz Safari and Gooogle autocomplete the phrase 'ipad screen goes black' when i start the search, but i hav yet to find a solution.

It doesnt matter what I am doing.. Whether I am watching youtube, or just going through the settings... or doing nothing...the screen would go black and then the Apple logo will appear, then it would go pure black .:confused:

Anyone had this problem and please does anyone hav a solution that doesnt include packing it up and sending it off for repairs? Thnx

i would do a restore, and if that doesn't fix it, it is probably a hardware problem and will need to be replaced.

yahya4k

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Well there are several reset options on the ipad, none of which worked, except for deleting iTunes which then practically made the device worthless. So I hooked it up to my Dell's iTunes where it synced and told me that there is a reset option that includes a 456mb iPad software update. I am downloading that now and in a few hours will install. If that doesnt fix the problem, then this afternoon I will head to the shop I bought it from and beat the manager and the sales guy who sold it to me with it.

However if anyone else can provide me with an easy fix solution before then, it will be appreciated.... I am sure this problem doesnt require a replacement or extensive repair; its freaking new for goodness sake. *Shakes fist at imaginary Steve Jobs*

Czicks

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Well there are several reset options on the ipad, none of which worked, except for deleting iTunes which then practically made the device worthless. So I hooked it up to my Dell's iTunes where it synced and told me that there is a reset option that includes a 456mb iPad software update. I am downloading that now and in a few hours will install. If that doesnt fix the problem, then this afternoon I will head to the shop I bought it from and beat the manager and the sales guy who sold it to me with it.

However if anyone else can provide me with an easy fix solution before then, it will be appreciated.... I am sure this problem doesnt require a replacement or extensive repair; its freaking new for goodness sake. *Shakes fist at imaginary Steve Jobs*

How did you even manage to remove iTunes from the iPad itself?

To do a restore you have to connect the device to a PC/Mac and complete a restore via iTunes on the PC. See below:

yahya4k

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Ok ignoring the name calling bit... itunes was removed on one of the reset options (i think it was the reset all content button)... and seeing that reseting things gets most things to work, i pressed that button.

Anywayss... ur screen grab is exactly the procedure I spoke about when i connected it to my Dell's iTunes. The device is working again, but screen still blacks out. I am still downloading the update as i type this now...

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Ok ignoring the name calling bit... itunes was removed on one of the reset options (i think it was the reset all content button)... and seeing that reseting things gets most things to work, i pressed that button.

Anywayss... ur screen grab is exactly the procedure I spoke about when i connected it to my Dell's iTunes. The device is working again, but screen still blacks out. I am still downloading the update as i type this now...

Mine too, the screen went black then iPad rebooted. I restored immediately and haven't seen the issue since.

yahya4k

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Mine too, the screen went black then iPad rebooted. I restored immediately and haven't seen the issue since.

I have taken it back to the shop. I didnt bother restoring it coz I wanted their engineers to see that problem as it is, in case it happens again. They said its software has been corrupted so they have to wipe and install an upgraded operating system (or some technobable). Since they didnt hav the software at hand and the process takes time to complete, they told me to come back on thursday to pick it up.

Oh well...

c20ona

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Edinburgh
I had the same problem occur with my one week old iPad too. Being a little bored, I proceeded to p1ss about with the speech setting. Soon as it activated, it refused to let me turn it off or make any other adjustments. Then two mins later my screen decides to go black never to return.

So plugged the little tike up to iTunes and clicked on the access tab so as to deactivate the speech thingy. Next min, it's working fine again. ****e thy self was an understatement.

So does anyone know if this is supposed to happen with this program or was it simply down to being a buggy app ?.

Cheers

KC

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
I have taken it back to the shop. I didnt bother restoring it coz I wanted their engineers to see that problem as it is, in case it happens again. They said its software has been corrupted so they have to wipe and install an upgraded operating system (or some technobable). Since they didnt hav the software at hand and the process takes time to complete, they told me to come back on thursday to pick it up.

Oh well...

wow. i can't tell if this is all a joke or something. upgraded software? we all have access to the same software. where did you buy this ipad? didn't have the software on hand? it's the same software you used to restore the ipad. i think you are getting taken for a ride. you need to research a little better or you may be taken advantage of. good luck.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London

Oh well...

Something fishy somewhere

yahya4k

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I assume the software restore was the lengthy one I was downloading but aborted as I dont have time to play tech with my iPad. Since they are the ones who sold it and say they know what is wrong, I will let them deal with it.

Whatever the issue is, they'll have to replace the device or refund it if they cant fix it anyway, so thats not a worry for me. My main beef is that I will be without it for a couple of days :(

Magic!

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
I had the same problem, but fixed it:)

Soo..hold your home and power/wake button together until the apple icon shows up. It worked for me:)

YouhrWelcome
Contact me! :p

Reactions: veyeela

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

Sounds like this is UIE! (User Induced Error)

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I had the same problem occur with my one week old iPad too. Being a little bored, I proceeded to p1ss about with the speech setting. Soon as it activated, it refused to let me turn it off or make any other adjustments. Then two mins later my screen decides to go black never to return.

So plugged the little tike up to iTunes and clicked on the access tab so as to deactivate the speech thingy. Next min, it's working fine again. ****e thy self was an understatement.

So does anyone know if this is supposed to happen with this program or was it simply down to being a buggy app ?.

Cheers

KC

That feature is for blind users. It's not a bug.

rbtlc

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
ipad going black

thanks for the idea of holding the home button and power button at the same time it is working great now.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Couldn't you just have clicked restore and went about your business for 20mins and then picked it up to check if it was back on? That was more trouble than packing it up and bringing back to the store?? WOW! :confused:

Hukumhard

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
iPad goes black

No comment on foregoing.
I had same problem and none of the above suggestions worked.
I went to ITunes as if to sync and found an option to allow iTunes to reset the iPad to factory default settings while backing up,all stored data, apps etc. I followed the instructions and that worked the problem. It took about an hour or so. There will be intervals when you wander if anything is going on. Be patient. It worked for me.
Hope this helps someone.
Hukumhard

ITALIAN9

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
Plugged the little tike up to iTunes and clicked on the access tab so as to deactivate the speech thingy.Why you said that it feature is for blind users.:mad:
65pFOd

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
This happened to my iPad mini yesterday, I was seeing how it could handle apps loading. I went through my home screen opening all my apps 1 after the other. The screen went black, Apple logo appeared and then it went straight to the lock screen.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Since they didnt hav the software at hand and the process takes time to complete, they told me to come back on thursday to pick it up.

Oh well...

What shop? It doesn't take days to do restore and reinstall even if you have to download the software. Half an hour, hour tops.

Sounds like someone went to a third party that wanted to jack you with some labor fees.

Folks be careful of this kind of thing. There are shops that try those kind of stunts. If you find one and they claim to be an Apple Authorized shop, report them to Apple.

veyeela

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I had the same problem, but fixed it:)

Soo..hold your home and power/wake button together until the apple icon shows up. It worked for me:)

YouhrWelcome
Contact me! :p
woahh. what a relief..:) btw. thanks for the tip.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Sounds like this is UIE! (User Induced Error)
We call it an "eye d ten tea" error or when written in the notes: ID10T

But this gentleman is not an idiot, just ignorant. For the future you could have done the same. Look up DFU restore. Just turn on iTunes, plug your iPad in and turn it off. Then press and hold the home button while turning it on. iTunes will recognize the device and ask if you would like to restore it. Yes, you would. The iOS will be removed, updated and reinstalled. Fixes most headaches. Takes about 15 minutes, depending on your internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.