Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney is working on a dedicated 'Star Wars' channel for the Apple TV according to a questionable report from Jedi News. The site quotes an "unnamed source" who said Disney will launch a new app on the Apple TV in time for the holiday season and the app will stream the final episodes of the animated 'Clone Wars' TV series.

apple_tv_vevo_more.jpg
Our source told us the following:

"A Disney branded app for Star Wars will launch on Apple TV devices, with plans to distribute the final Clone Wars episodes exclusively digitally only through the Apple TV device for a limited period of time. This will happen in this holiday season.

In 2014, plans are in an early stage to use the platform to deliver SW7 production news 'live' from the sets, followed with Star Wars Rebels in late 2014 taking us all the way through to SW7 release."
Jedi News claims only iOS 7-capable Apple TV devices -- the second and third generation units -- will be able to use the new app.

Apple has launched a number of third-party apps on the Apple TV in recent months, including two Disney apps yesterday. Last year, Disney purchased Lucasfilm and the 'Star Wars' franchise.

Article Link: Disney Working on 'Star Wars' App for Apple TV?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So...Apple, can we please just announce the App Store for Apple TV and stop shoving random content on to the home screen every two weeks?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
All I want is the ability to remove some apps from my interface.

edit: I already got five replies on how to do it (via the parental controls), thanks.

Last edited:

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
So...Apple, can we please just announce the App Store for Apple TV and stop shoving random content on to the home screen every two weeks?

Agreed. All of these new editions, half I cant even use because I do not have cable. Whats the point in that then? There is a reason I have an Apple TV :eek:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Yup

Apple will have to support the ability to turn off content more easily than using parental controls or create a system to opt into content on the AppleTV.

Hopefully an AppleTV update will co-incide with iOS 7 that will support the ability to opt into or delete new content.

I really don't want my AppleTV to become "The Disney" device. Nor do I want it to become a dumping ground for every alternative media delivery system in existence. I mean my Samsung Smart TV already has screens and screens worth of useless apps and content I will never use, I don't want my AppleTV to go slumming like that.

I already question the content added to AppleTV up till now. I know I can hide content in parent controls, but I don't want to have to do this every week when Apple pushes another "Channel" of content I don't want.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Apple will have to support the ability to turn off content more easily than using parental controls or create a system to opt into content on the AppleTV.

Why?

Parental Controls seems easy enough to me. I don't think we will have to worry about Apple shoving apps at us weekly. ;)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
and i've been looking at the blu rays lately since the season 1-5 set is coming out. but no word on a digital copy and i'm not buying without a digital copy

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
No doubt you will need to be a cable subscriber to be able to view content--which means its a worthless waste of space. I'd welcome a stand alone channel with a separate monthly fee. I don't mind paying for content one bit--just not an entire cable subscription to see maybe two decent shows.

I have a feeling the next "revolutionary" announcement related to Apple TV will be that if you are a TWC subscriber you can log in and view cable content on your Apple TV!! Save a whole $10 a month off your $180 cable bill by avoiding another set top box! Magical!

Props to the Vevo and Smithsonian apps though.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
sorry for the hold up guys, we are in the process of reengineering roku's code as i type this

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
No doubt you will need to be a cable subscriber to be able to view content--which means its a worthless waste of space. I'd welcome a stand alone channel with a separate monthly fee. I don't mind paying for content one bit--just not an entire cable subscription to see maybe two decent shows.

I have a feeling the next "revolutionary" announcement related to Apple TV will be that if you are a TWC subscriber you can log in and view cable content on your Apple TV!! Save a whole $10 a month off your $180 cable bill by avoiding another set top box! Magical!

Props to the Vevo and Smithsonian apps though.

yeah right
seems like TWC is cut out of most of these streaming deals lately. one reason why i cut the cord and don't go back. i wouldn't mind paying for TV again, but TWC doesn't want to support a lot of these services

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Hopefully an AppleTV update will co-incide with iOS 7 that will support the ability to opt into or delete new content.

I really don't want my AppleTV to become "The Disney" device. Nor do I want it to become a dumping ground for every alternative media delivery system in existence. I mean my Samsung Smart TV already has screens and screens worth of useless apps and content I will never use, I don't want my AppleTV to go slumming like that.

I already question the content added to AppleTV up till now. I know I can hide content in parent controls, but I don't want to have to do this every week when Apple pushes another "Channel" of content I don't want.
I can kind of see this point.

But it's so easy, a matter of 1111, that I can't be bothered to raise a flag along side with you. Goodluck.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Jedi News claims only iOS 7-capable Apple TV devices -- the second and third generation units -- will be able to use the new app.

And there you have it. The app-ification of entertainment, Apple-style.
Sign deals with content providers, package the content in apps, and use the
apps to drive sales of new Apple products. Sony would kill for this.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
My guess is this is more along the lines of their "Hobby Apple TV" stuff. Seeing what content is liked and how it is received before dropping bigger and better stuff and the ability to buy or hide "channels"

I like that things are being added to the Apple TV. much better than a bare-bones system to watch the stuff you've bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.