Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veneto

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
What do you think?

w075sx.jpg

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
There a few things I found that cause excessive battery drain:

1) Poor signal. Anything under 2 bars (even 3 bars) will reduce battery life by about half (just by observation). If you constantly have poor signal turn off mobile data.

2) Facebook and Messenger apps. Deleting these or turning off all their notifications (Settings --> Notifications --> Facebook) helped increase usage time by approximately 2.5-3 hours.

3) Whatsapp. Deleting this and using iMessage/SMS instead increased usage time by 1 hour approx.

4) Using 3G instead of 4G will cause battery drain. It is rather strange since I was under the assumption that 4G uses more battery. I found 4G to be on par with 2G (EDGE) in terms of battery consumption*.

*Depends on signal (see 1.)

5) Battery life on iOS 7 Beta 5 is significantly better than iOS 6. I believe background memory management is much improved so that rogue apps like Facebook cannot use up excessive cycles.

Thats all.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Because I use Bluetooth for audio and for tethering a lot during the day,with lots of calls and texts and the tethering, I can usually have the battery last until about three in the afternoon.

I bought the mophie phone case and love it.

On a day when I don't tether I can get to 10% by 5pm

Sharule

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I used to get 10-14h of usage with wifi. Now I've got a brand new refurb? Phone from apple, manufacture date august 2013. Cause first one had camera issues.

Now I've had 2 100% charges with this one and i got 7-9h of usage. Will it get better?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I used to get MFI Apple Approved - Lenmar Meridian iPhone 5 Rechargeable Extended Battery Case for iPhone 5 - AT&T, Sprint, Verizon - Black - 100% Additional Battery Life (2300mAh)
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0099SG2WE10-14h of usage with wifi. Now I've got a brand new refurb? Phone from apple, manufacture date august 2013. Cause first one had camera issues.

Now I've had 2 100% charges with this one and i got 7-9h of usage. Will it get better?

7-9 hr of usage is great. It might get better since it is a new battery but I think it won't.

Sharule

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
7-9 hr of usage is great. It might get better since it is a new battery but I think it won't.

Thanks, well today I've been using it for 4 hours and it's on 69%:). The brightness is lower. Yesterday I had it on full brightness. So that explains :)

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
It seems that my battery keeps on getting worse and worse. I had two phone calls after I fully charged it and they only lasted about ten minutes each and the battery went from 100% to 96% after I finished both calls. I don't understand what is going on. I've tried everything and Apple said that nothing is wrong with the battery. Guess I'm stuck with a defective iPhone :(

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
It seems that my battery keeps on getting worse and worse. I had two phone calls after I fully charged it and they only lasted about ten minutes each and the battery went from 100% to 96% after I finished both calls. I don't understand what is going on. I've tried everything and Apple said that nothing is wrong with the battery. Guess I'm stuck with a defective iPhone :(

Sometimes the battery drains faster than others. For example, sometime my iPhone 5 battery last 30 minutes on 100% and other times it lasts for 10 minutes. What is happening to you is normal.

daudi81

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Biggest differences for me so far is turning off LTE when I don't need it. I found that when I'm home, my LTE has poor reception and it's always switching between. 3G and LTE. Once I turned off LTE while at home it improved dramatically. I'm getting 9-10 hours of usage now. Dramatic difference.

Only time I really need LTE is when I'm not near a wireless spot which is basically never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.