Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muuhamed

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
These are already the most popular groups for iOS devices. Just because you're an adult you assume people aged 12 - 19 can't afford a $200 metal iPhone?

The 5C is aimed towards people buying phones at non-subsidized prices

Your comment made no sense :confused:

The 5C is going to kill two birds with one stone:

-It's going to be aggresively marketed at the younger and female demographic here in the Americas and Europe

-It's going to *hopefully* explode (popularity wise for all you smart asses) in the Chinese and Asian market because of the cheapness and color options

'C' for colour makes no sense. They've produced and sold loads of products in the past with lots of colour options, and they've never used a 'C' to designate them as "colour" especially when the 5S will have 4 different colours from which to choose.

'C' could mean "classic" or even more aligned with Apple's strategy it could mean "Cloud".

'C' for "cheap" is just silly nonsense.

My money is on "classic" or "cloud" or something else entirely no one has thought of.

Apple is going to (I believe) differentiate between their "Pro consumer" product (5S) and their "average consumer" product (5C)

"Classic" wouldn't make any sense since it's going to be a new product hence no time to be judged as a high quality product

Last edited:

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I do see the 5C being released as cloud only...similar to what Google did with the Chromebook

Doubtful, you appear to have missed the fact that data is still quite expensive in the developing markets, and most don't have unlimited data plans.

How would a cloud facility work when the subscriber might only have a 100MB data allowance or a high cost per MB cost?

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Your comment made no sense :confused:

The 5C is going to kill two birds with one stone:

-It's going to be aggresively marketed at the younger and female demographic here in the Americas and Europe

-It's going to *hopefully* explode (popularity wise for all you smart asses) in the Chinese and Asian market because of the cheapness and color options

My comment makes perfect sense.

The regular iPhone is already marketed towards younger and female demographic. I don't know many middle aged men with iPhone, that is what Android phones are marketed towards.

The 5C phone is 100% for people paying full retail price for smartphones, mostly the people in China and India, nothing more.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012

The regular iPhone is already marketed towards younger and female demographic. I don't know many middle aged men with iPhone, that is what Android phones are marketed towards.

The 5C phone is 100% for people paying full retail price for smartphones, mostly the people in China and India, nothing more.

Not true, I saw a movie preview (can't remember what the name of it was) and the teenage girl definitely had a white iPhone 5C. It is a movie coming out in the fall about a religious band that the daughter strays from or something along those lines.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Cement - because there's a lower chance that it'll break when dropped on cement due to the plastic shell

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I've worked in electronics areas of many big box retailers. We would sometimes run *deep* discounts/promotions for cameras we would no longer be carrying. It would never fail to amaze me, the amount of people who would ask my opinion on which camera was better all-around, megapixels, ISO, shutter speed, you name it. But in the end, most customers paid more, for a lesser model, all because...it was a certain color.

Sometimes people would even not buy a discounted camera if it was better than others because of the color it was. "Ewwww, that blue is so light." etc. They'd pay more to get less just for convenience of color.

This is a smart move by Apple. Color options are attractive and the market really does care about that nonsense. They really really do, lol. Mostly the younger demographic too, which is good...build a fanbase young. ;)

muuhamed

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
Doubtful, you appear to have missed the fact that data is still quite expensive in the developing markets, and most don't have unlimited data plans.

How would a cloud facility work when the subscriber might only have a 100MB data allowance or a high cost per MB cost?

You are right, totally missed to take data cost into consideration! :eek:

Not true, I saw a movie preview (can't remember what the name of it was) and the teenage girl definitely had a white iPhone 5C. It is a movie coming out in the fall about a religious band that the daughter strays from or something along those lines.

Troll begone!

I've worked in electronics areas of many big box retailers. We would sometimes run *deep* discounts/promotions for cameras we would no longer be carrying. It would never fail to amaze me, the amount of people who would ask my opinion on which camera was better all-around, megapixels, ISO, shutter speed, you name it. But in the end, most customers paid more, for a lesser model, all because...it was a certain color.

Sometimes people would even not buy a discounted camera if it was better than others because of the color it was. "Ewwww, that blue is so light." etc. They'd pay more to get less just for convenience of color.

This is a smart move by Apple. Color options are attractive and the market really does care about that nonsense. They really really do, lol. Mostly the younger demographic too, which is good...build a fanbase young. ;)

Hmmmm, you're right, now that I take your point into consideration, most consumers do buy on the basis of color, I've experienced that first hand.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Apple are producing the "C" as a smart marketing move...Aimed at emerging nations such as China and India, a lower cost introduction to IOS and Apple makes perfect sense. How many of us had an Iphone before they bought Macs? I know it was my first Apple purchase.

Down the road, Iphone 5C users will be attracted to the Apple market and other products...As far as the feature set goes? We will know that post keynote. All else, no matter how well informed, is pure speculation at this time.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I agree for color. I have seen the new color ones, I don't care for them, most people put a case on their phone anyways, so I see it as pointless.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

I know countless older iPhone users. I work in a corporate environment and there are literally thousands of iPhone users, most are "middle aged men" as you say. On the other hand, I know zero older Android users that are not tech savvy.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan

Completely incorrect, movies are recorded a year+ before they are released, so no, she didn't have an unreleased phone a year ago

----------

I know countless older iPhone users. I work in a corporate environment and there are literally thousands of iPhone users, most are "middle aged men" as you say. On the other hand, I know zero older Android users that are not tech savvy.

Really? My dad's job doesn't even allow them to get an iPhone, they all must chose between blackberry and android, he is the least tech savvy person I know, and he works his HTC incredible 2 perfectly fine

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No maker would make something badged "CHEAP".

If its 5C, and it's available in multiple colours, it's more logical to be 5 Color/Colour.

Can anyone really see Apple stand up and say "Today we launch the iPhone 5 CHEAP, because its for cheapskates".

Agreed. There is no way it will named or marketed as the iPhone Cheap.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Really? My dad's job doesn't even allow them to get an iPhone, they all must chose between blackberry and android, he is the least tech savvy person I know, and he works his HTC incredible 2 perfectly fine

Your dads firm must be stuck in the past.

Even the US DOD has approved iPhone.

The U.S. Department of Defense announced on Friday that it has officially approved Apple devices running iOS 6 or later to access its secure government networks.

In a statement released by the Defense Department, the U.S. government confirmed that iPhones and iPads running Apple's latest mobile operating system are now cleared for use on its networks. The approval, which was expected, is part of a military plan to allow employees the flexibility to use commercial products on secure government networks.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Actually my dad works at Ford (Gigantic company)

The U.S. Department of Defense announced on Friday that it has officially approved Apple devices running iOS 6 or later to access its secure government networks

Yes, iPhones are being adopted now, but they weren't for a few years.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
iPhone 5C, the "C" could stand for:

Color - Multiple color choices, attracting a younger demographic 12-19 year olds with focus on the female demographic as well

China - For the Chinese and surrounding Asian market

Cost - Cost effective for those consumers looking to spend less

What do you guys think? :)

*Of course Apple would never publicly market the 5C as cheap but we all know it will be cheaper

Yeah, the elephant in the room is:

Cheap - a cheaper iPhone

----------

Agreed. There is no way it will named or marketed as the iPhone Cheap.

Not a gazillion dollars in marketing or Apple execs jumping up and down a launch event will make the general public think that "C" does not stand for "C"heap

As long as the 5S is out there the 5C will always be the cheaper one.

Bobbin606

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
C for china?

I just had a thought, what if the c is for china and the phone will only be available in china to help apple penetrate and take market share? What if the range of plastic I phones won't be available outside of china for over a year?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I just had a thought, what if the c is for china and the phone will only be available in china to help apple penetrate and take market share? What if the range of plastic I phones won't be available outside of china for over a year?

Have to disagree with this thought. Apple in it to sell, and make money. Even the plastic version will sell in the USA, and other more affluent area's or other countries in this messed up planet of ours :)p). $ is the driving force, and many in China do buy the more powerful iphones as well, just not as many as in other places...

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

Actually, according to your other post on the same subject, this post "Just a thought" would actually be your second thought. :D

Just had to do it, didn't I ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.