Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi, I have a 2+ yr old Powerbook. I have the Powerbook on "brick" attached to an Apple Cinema Display. I'm looking at the power display and noticing an "X" in the display. I've never seen that before. What does that mean??

Thanks.

Frank

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
In the tray in the upper right corner of the screen, there is a battery icon between my American Flag and my day/date clock. I utually has a lightening display in there is it is on power cable or a battery if the power is by battery. I shut everything down, did a cold reboot and I'm still seeing what looks like a battery with an "x" in there. And it is on power cable.

Frank

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It means no battery is detected. Flip the computer over and push it back in. That should solve the problem.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>t means no battery is detected. Flip the computer over and push it back in. That should solve the problem.<,

Ok here's what happened. I unplugged the power supply and the PB ran on battery, but there was still an "x" in the battery. So the battery was working. I flipped over the PB, checked the battery level and only had 1 light. I did it a couple of time to be sure. The battery was "in place" at the time. I reinserted the power supply cord with the machine flipped over so the PB was still on and I took the battery out. I put it back in, with the power supply still on and checked the battery level again and it was up to 4 lights. I have a battery level now of 100% (which btw, I've never seen before) and the icon for the plug power is there too. So it seems to be ok. But what does this all mean??? Was the battery connection "dusty?" Is my battery dying?? The machine is 2.5 yrs old, but I must admit until I convinced my wife to do my office stuff, I used it sparingly and "had" to use my ThinkPad. BUT, I've been using the Mac (and happily so) for about a year and a half now.

<as an aside, yesterday a Windows friend brought over his digital camera for me to take some pics off. Our daughter was married last weekend, and he took some cool stuff. Anyway, he and his daughter brought over the camera linked to their USB cable. I pulled up iPhoto, plugged in the usb cable and instantaneously, iPhoto recognized the Sony and asked if I wanted to import the photos. One click of the IMPORT button and the pics were on their way. He and his daughter just looked and commented "that's it??" Plus they loved my Apple Cinema display too<bg>! I told him, that's it. They walked away shaking their heads asking where they could get a Mac. We had a nice talk<g>

Back to my PB, what in the world happened, and what does it mean. Should I get a new battery??

Thanks for the quick assistance. I appreciate it.

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.