Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels today announced the launch of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac, the latest version of the company's software for running alternate operating systems such as Windows in virtualized environments on the Mac. The new version is available today as an upgrade for existing Parallels users, and it goes on sale for new customers September 5, in line with pre-order information that began popping up earlier this month.

Parallels Desktop 9 brings a number of new features and enhancements, including faster performance and support for Apple's upcoming OS X Mavericks and Microsoft's Windows 8.1, while also building in new support for a number of cloud services. Among the main features of Parallels Desktop 9 are:
- Support for cloud services: Sync iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive etc., with your Mac and your Windows virtual machine without unnecessary duplication of files locally
- Enhanced Windows 8 and 8.1 support: Parallels Desktop brings back the real Start menu and lets customers use Metro apps in a window instead of full screen
- Security Center: Easily access and install complimentary security software subscriptions to keep the Mac and Windows virtual machines safe from viruses and malware, all from one location
- Enhanced new Virtual Machine Wizard: It is easier than ever to set up a new virtual machine, especially on computers that don't have DVD drives
- Power Nap support: On a Retina MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, the Power Nap feature now extends to Windows and Windows apps, so virtual machines and all Windows applications are always up-to-date
Upgrade pricing on Parallels Desktop 9 for users of version 7 or 8 is $49.99, with standard retail pricing set at $79.99 for regular users and $39.99 for students. Customers who purchased Parallels Desktop 8 on or after August 15 can also receive a free upgrade to version 9.

For a limited time, Parallels Desktop 9 customers also receive a free six-month subscription to the new Parallels Access service that allows users to access Mac and Windows machines from their iPads.

Article Link: Parallels Desktop 9 with OS X Mavericks and Cloud Services Support Launches for Existing Customers

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
If Parallels actually supported their software I'd probably get this. They seem to have a bad habit of dropping support as soon as there is a new version (which is every year).

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
If Parallels actually supported their software I'd probably get this. They seem to have a bad habit of dropping support as soon as there is a new version (which is every year).

It is amazing how much money people are prepared to invest to run Windows on a Mac. I think for most it would be much cheaper to buy a secondary machine instead of paying their yearly Parallels-tax...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Think i'll wait until Parallels 9 gets into a Fall Bundle, like has occurred for the past few years.

or just use Virtualbox, which is free.
Virtualbox is a good alternative, but the performance isn't as good as Parallels - especially for graphical demanding apps - especially gaming.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
It is amazing how much money people are prepared to invest to run Windows on a Mac. I think for most it would be much cheaper to buy a secondary machine instead of paying their yearly Parallels-tax...

or dual boot. that's the best option for running my windows programs. no need to get another box when my one box is essentially 2 computers just physically put together in one box.

i still have Parallels 7 for when I am on OS X, and need to access a windows app without having to reboot, but if you need to use windows for a prolonged amount of time, then the dual boot would beat out any sort of emulation.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Think i'll wait until Parallels 9 gets into a Fall Bundle, like has occurred for the past few years.

Virtualbox is a good alternative, but the performance isn't as good as Parallels - especially for graphical demanding apps - especially gaming.

I can't imagine why one would try gaming using a virtual machine vs a non-virtual machine. with boot camp, there's no reason to do so either.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

It's not about cost. It's about convenience. Having two machines, especially for those of us who are mobile/laptop only, just isn't viable. Plus, the integration of files between the guest and the host OS actually comes in handy.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
Be quite interesting to see how Power Nap works with it, since none of the windows apps will know how to use it. As long as it's aggressively managed by OS X it should actually be fine, but if it's running everything through Parallels and constantly polling updates for Norton Anti Virus then it can go and smoke itself.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Worst. Customer Service. Ever.

They seem to have a bad habit of not understanding how to support the products they currently have.

Meh - the student price, which I technically am, is cheaper than the upgrade. I'll probably pick it up as a student when Mavericks launches, or as part of one of the Bundle sales that seem to happen pretty regularly.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I can't imagine why one would try gaming using a virtual machine vs a non-virtual machine. with boot camp, there's no reason to do so either.

Sure there is. Rebooting your machine and shutting down your Mac stuff to play a game, especially if you're like me and you tab back and forth, also isn't a good option. The performance of virtual machines with graphics has increased dramatically. It's not quite so bad anymore.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No thanks. Don't fancy having "optimized enhanced synchronised backwards synergy virus protection" or whatever crap they're trying to call it these days.

The stupid thing is. Parallels 9 = Paralles 8 = Parallels 7 = Parallels 6 = Parallels 5 = etc

They are the same package, with a new UI slapped on and a few "features" added on that slow your VM's to a crawl. Can't believe people ever actually pay for individual upgrades/versions.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
So for parallels 8 customers. We don't get enhanced support for a windows is that we bought parallels 8 for?

Honestly I am quite sick of this company.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Downloading now.

Head's up for European customers. If you choose to pay in Euro € it's €49.99 for the upgrade.

If you choose to pay in Sterling £ it's £34.99 which works out around €41, saving you €9.

;)

You can pay in sterling, and still be in any other european country.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Esoteric changes and "Lets do Windows!"

Most of these changes will not affect everyday users of Mac.
The surrender to Windows is alarming at best...what were the Apple geeks thinking??????????
No changes to the problematic Apple Mail
No updating Copy/Paste unchanged since OS8 in the 1990's
No improvement to address book to add color or bold
No addingAUDIO to Quick Time recording
No improvements badly needed to Pages
PLUS...what printers will not longer print after this new OS...what a nice surprise that will be.
I WILL PASS

Last edited by a moderator:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

not everybody wants to waste the space and power on another ugly computer, especially for something used occasionally. i like minimal.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

I have two games that runs on XP that won't work with Windows Vista and newer even with the compatibility setting. I like having my Bootcamp at the latest version of Windows for newer games. Parallels works well with gaming in my unique use case.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone know how is Android support in the new version, I can't find a change log!

Just installed and in the new setup you can choose android

Untitled.jpg

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I'm interested in the support horror stories from other users. I've had nothing but excellent support from them--going so far as to give me a phone call when they didn't quite understand what I was seeing on my side.

As far as gaming goes, if the game is 3-4 years old, it works great in a virtual machine. But otherwise bootcamp is the way to go.

I do a lot of n tier architecte development. Real handy to carry around a db and an app tier in my MacBook. And for that, bootcamp wouldn't work.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
Parallels really does have excellent performance. On a 2012 MBP with i7 and SSD (non-retina), with Windows performance index is 6.8, held back only by graphics. CPU, memory, and disk are 7.5, 7.8, and 8.1. For a VM, that's astounding.

The Windows/Mac integration is excellent. I wouldn't give this up for dual boot. The most astonishing case involved iOS app development using Xamarin.iOS, using the Mac as build server but building the iOS app in Visual Studio on Windows. When I wanted to run the iOS app in the iOS simulator (on the Mac), running and debugging from Visual Studio, the combination of Parallels and Xamarin's Bonjour services loaded my iOS app into XCode's simulator and popped the simulator up as the active window. That's seamless integration. And if a web page doesn't display properly in Safari, Parallels has an IE button in Safari; I can click that and Parallels opens the same page in IE on Windows. Amazingly seamless.

Now, I just hope that Parallels 9 doesn't force me to use their Start button and Start menu in Windows 8. I like Windows 8 without the start button and menu. I also hope that the "complementary" security software is optional. It really sounds like Parallels is starting to add bloatware, just like all the Windows OEMs love to do. Hate that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.