Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter has updated its iOS app to version 5.10, redesigning the look of Conversations within the app. As noted in the App Store description, conversations are easier to find, indicated with a vertical blue line in the Twitter timeline.

The original tweet of a conversation will now show up above the most recent reply, and a tap will reveal the entire conversation thread. The app has also been updated with new notification settings and bug fixes for direct messages.

Conversations have a new look! They're easier to find and fun to join.

- A blue line indicates a conversation between people you follow
- The first Tweet in the conversation now appears above the most recent reply
- Tap to see all of the replies
Twitter is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter Updates iOS App With Conversation Redesign

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's pretty cool, the vertical line. I still prefer Tweetbot, but this is a nice update for the base twitter app.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can you have user specific notifications with tweetbot like with the official twitter app?

If you can then I did not know. I don't have any notifications. Twitter for me is more following and talking to myself. I don't really seem to have a lot of interaction.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Surely this is a clever way for Twitter to reduce their server load and bandwidth use?

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Here, let me quote and bold it for you again:
Conversations have a new look! They're easier to find and fun to join.

- A blue line indicates a conversation between people you follow
- The first Tweet in the conversation now appears above the most recent reply
- Tap to see all of the replies

And how so?
It's plausible that it could take less server side processing and bandwidth on Twitter's part to just show you the barebones of a conversation, which you must then expand if you want to view it fully. When you expand the conversation it clearly communicates with Twitter to load the full conversation.

Anyway, there are loads of great free and non-free apps to replace this for you if you really don't like it. I recommend Tweetbot.

Last edited by a moderator:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I never really cared for the official Twitter app. Like a lot of others, Tweetbot is probably the best Twitter client on iOS.

dKistner

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
I also prefer Twitterrific to Tweetbot. Although Tweetbot has more features, I think the user experience when using Twitterrific is simply superior.

christiandb

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
I find Tweetbot's conversation view much better, it was even better before with the left-right combination of tweets sorted between myself and the other person.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
why oh why oh why do new members ALWAYS bump threads that are MONTHS old for no reason?
It's important to tell people what you like even when the conversation is long over and it really doesn't add much of anything to it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
this is how old threads get locked years down the road. i swear new people come here and click on the last page of threads in a forum and always manage to find something to respond to for no reason. should be banned instead of locking legit threads. or maybe just have their posts deleted so the threads drops back down again.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I am one of the test subjects!!! AMA!!
/s

Lol. In all seriousness though I prefer the old icons but the new ones do the same thing so..... *shrugs*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.