Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After being delayed for six months, EA has finally released the Mac version of the new SimCity. The game was originally set to come out in February of this year, but EA decided to delay it to "ensure a great experience" for players.

EA has repeatedly emphasized that the Mac version of SimCity is not a "port" of the PC game, but a fully native version designed specifically for the Mac using OpenGL. However, the game will include full cross-platform support to facilitate 'region play' where the cities of multiple players are connected to share utilities and citizenry, with PC and Mac Mayors able to play in the same regions.

Origin.png
SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

EA on system requirements, viewable in full at the bottom of the purchase page:
In general, most Late-2009 iMacs, mid-2009 MacBook Pros, and mid-2010 MacBooks meet the SimCity's minimum specifications. Other systems not listed here may be able to run SimCity, but can experience graphical or performance issues and would require an OS upgrade.
SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition that includes additional content. Purchases cover both platforms, so gamers who already bought SimCity on the PC will get the Mac version for free.

Article Link: SimCity Finally Launches on the Mac With Native Version and Cross-Platform Servers

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I might be getting this mixed up but isn't this the game that people thought was just way too small? As in, quickly running out of things to do?

All I know is that the trailer looked cool lol

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I might be getting this mixed up but isn't this the game that people thought was just way too small? As in, quickly running out of things to do?

That remains the #1 issue, one of my friends said it just gets repetitive after a while as you build out an entire city and then move on, building out another city all over again, at least with Sim City 4 and previous the time span of each city was immense.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Yes, the maps are way too small.

Amazon has this game as a download cheaper, though EA's store does refunds now so that might be a better option.

Ellmer

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Brighton, UK
You know, EA could've taken the money right out of my pocket had this game been available when Origin launched for Mac. But instead, the dust of excitement has subsided, and the awful, awful reviews have swayed me away.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Finally! Now if only it would also start properly instead of launching a small garbled window, and I would be happy :D What a joke...

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor.

as expected

i was waiting for this game, but will not buy it until i hear massive positive feedback about decent/good gaming experience

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Is this the first time any of the SimCity games have been available for the Mac? I remember playing this in 2000 on a PC.

Seems a little late :rolleyes:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is this the first time any of the SimCity games have been available for the Mac? I remember playing this in 2000 on a PC.

Every version of Simcity since 1989 has been on the Mac, and almost every Maxis game.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
robbed again.

I've been waiting for this, even bought the PC version on steam figuring I would get the Mac version on Steam when released. And now of course, Not released on Steam.

So much for pre-ordering crap.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I've been waiting for this, even bought the PC version on steam figuring I would get the Mac version on Steam when released. And now of course, Not released on Steam.

It's not available on Steam. You must have bought SimCity 4 Deluxe, which is actually a much better game. download the excellent NAM transport mod, run it in WINE (runs great) and enjoy.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

Erm... no you didn't, its not available on steam for mac or pc

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003

The original SimCity was available on the Mac in the 1990 timeframe, in full 4-bit color!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.