Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bioshock Infinite, the third game in the first-person shooter series, is now available for download from the Mac App Store. Originally released for consoles and PCs in March of this year, Bioshock Infinite is set in the floating city of Columbia.

In the game, players take on the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker Dewitt, who teams up with AI-controlled Elizabeth.

Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.
Players will need OS X 10.8.4 or later, 2.2 GHz CPU speed, 4GB RAM, 512MB video RAM and 30GB of free disk space. Minimum video card requirements include the Radeon HD 3870 and the GeForce 640M.

Bioshock Infinite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $39.99. [Direct Link] The game is also available on Steam and from GameAgent.com.

Article Link: Bioshock Infinite Now Available for Mac

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Players will need OS X 10.8.4 or later, 2.2 GHz CPU speed, 4GB RAM, 512GB video RAM and 30 GB of free disk space. Minimum video card requirements include the Radeon HD 3870 and the GeForce 640M.

Would someone please point me to the nearest store that has an affordable (or existing) 512GB GPU :p

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I really enjoyed this game on the Xbox and would have bought it for the Mac instead if it had been available a few months ago. These delayed releases are really killing my desire to game on my iMac, though.

Still, an awesome game for those who haven't picked it up already.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
probably quite well thanks to intel hd 5000

That's funny. You will most likely need at least a dedicated GPU to get the most out of this game. Depends greatly on what you are expecting. Low shaders and shadows, effects on low, and res under 1280 and the Air can probably pull it off ~30FPS give or take the Mac port losses. It looks to be unplayable on anything but the very lowest settings on even the better optimized Windows systems.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html
Look at the very 1st Game benchmark area.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
That's funny. You will most likely need at least a dedicated GPU to get the most out of this game. Depends greatly on what you are expecting. Low shaders and shadows, effects on low, and res under 1280 and the Air can probably pull it off ~30FPS give or take the Mac port losses. It looks to be unplayable on anything but the very lowest settings on even the better optimized Windows systems.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html
Look at the very 1st Game benchmark area.

Not sure how this relates, but I played it all the way through in bootcamp with a current Mac mini. 1600x900 res and some setting on high and some at medium. None at low. Played great. Can't wait to try it in osx.
Also played some at 1080p and was still very playable.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Holy shmokes.

Not being a gamer since the summer Super Mario 3 hit, I must say I am compelled.

Q though, is this what the actual game looks like, playing, rendering in real-time? Or is this just a nice rendered promo video?

If playing looks like this, I'm giving video games another try.

(my personal machine is a brand new fully maxed imac 27, if it comes down to hardware...)

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Not sure how this relates, but I played it all the way through in bootcamp with a current Mac mini. 1600x900 res and some setting on high and some at medium. None at low. Played great. Can't wait to try it in osx.
Also played some at 1080p and was still very playable.

Good info. The tests in that link looked dismal. And the other stuff on the HD5000 had no real hard numbers just marketing fluff. But it sounds like it may play fine for most users. It is truly a great game that made me smile many times at the detail and thought put into it.

----------

Holy shmokes.

Not being a gamer since the summer Super Mario 3 hit, I must say I am compelled.

Q though, is this what the actual game looks like, playing, rendering in real-time? Or is this just a nice rendered promo video?

(my personal machine is a brand new fully maxed imac 27, if it comes down to hardware...)

That video is not actual gameplay graphics. They are great in game but not as hyper real.
Here is the real deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEBwKO4RFOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIU1e7k7Oc

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Holy shmokes.

That's an odd promotional video. It's definitely pre-rendered. The odd thing is it doesn't match the art design of the actual game. It's close, but...off. Anyway, the game is gorgeous, and all of the design elements represented in the video (skylines, Handymen, etc) are very much a part of the game. Highly recommended, although you may get a bit more story than you would expect if you haven't played a game since SMB3.

willryan42

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not a big gamer, especially on my mac, but 30GB of free space?! Ain't no SSD got space for that! Although I'm assuming it has to be installed on the same disk as the OS, I could be wrong though.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I'm not a big gamer, especially on my mac, but 30GB of free space?! Ain't no SSD got space for that! Although I'm assuming it has to be installed on the same disk as the OS, I could be wrong though.

It's actually around 17GB. The 30GB is for the space needed on the DLC's :D

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have and beat this game for the 360. It's possibly one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The cinematography truly is top notch for a video game.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Whoever has bought this on windows via steam you can download it on steam on osx too. Happy days

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

When I uninstalled WoW from my rMBP a month or so ago, it was at about 30GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.