Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGraz19

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I am currently on the latest iOS 7 beta on my iPhone 5. When the public release of iOS 7 happens (be it September 10th or 20th or something else)...how can I put a clean install onto my phone?

Thanks

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The Public Release should appear as an update to your beta version. In which case you can just connect to iTunes and restore your phone or just update it with iOS 7.

wolsoncpa

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I'm by no means an expert but I'll feel a lot better with a clean install... I will not use the OTA update.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
For iOS5 and 6 and 7, you could not go from release channel to beta channel via OTA.

For iOS5 and 6, you could not come back to release channel from beta channel via OTA.

We don't know how iOS7 GM/GA/Public will behave. But the trend suggests...

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Some people have suggested that updating to GA from beta or fresh install then restoring from backup might result in ur device not being as fast as others due to residual old corrupt files from the beta . Is that the case? If it is , well, that's unfortunate because my backups have been ios 7 since about a few months, and my last ios 6 backup, if it still exists, will be woefully out of date. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
If you update to the GM, it'll likely be the same as the public release and therefore you won't need to update to the public release.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
You can do OTA as well

The GM is never an OTA update from the beta. If you are running a beta you will need to download the IPSW from the dev center and update in iTunes.

Beta to GM has never been OTA and will not be available as an update in iTunes.

Last edited:

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
The Public Release should appear as an update to your beta version. In which case you can just connect to iTunes and restore your phone or just update it with iOS 7.

Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Stop giving false information please

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Some people have suggested that updating to GA from beta or fresh install then restoring from backup might result in ur device not being as fast as others due to residual old corrupt files from the beta . Is that the case? If it is , well, that's unfortunate because my backups have been ios 7 since about a few months, and my last ios 6 backup, if it still exists, will be woefully out of date. Any thoughts?

You can restore from a backup made in iOS 7 beta on the GM of iOS 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
This is in the developer notes

"Registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software."

But as stated, there's no guarantee it will be OTA.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
This is in the developer notes

"Registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software."

But as stated, there's no guarantee it will be OTA.

You can upgrade sure, but not OTA. It wil involve downloading the IPSW and updating in iTunes.

That's the way it's always been. Was the same for iOS 5 and 6.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
You can upgrade sure, but not OTA. It wil involve downloading the IPSW and updating in iTunes.

That's the way it's always been. Was the same for iOS 5 and 6.

I should have said, "As bbfc stated..." that's what I meant and completely agree with you.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
God! Phew! I thought that was just me. Constant force quite in Safari on my MacBook.

----------

Excuse me? The information I gave was entirely factual. Consider yourself reported.

The public release will not appear as an update to the beta. You will need to download the .ipsw and update using iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.