Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've noticed a lot of folks banned recently or maybe they've been banned a while and I'm just now seeing it. Now, of course, per forum rules we do not discuss the specific nature of any member's moderation or banning. And, I'm not asking about any information regarding any specific member or the details surrounding any specific incident.

Simply out of curiosity, and seeing the other stats thread in this section, I wonder about the statistics of membership banning here at MR. I would love to see some general information broken down across the "bannable offenses" categories. For example, what offense is most often the reason that a member is banned? How many peopler per year are banned for X offense? It would just be interesting to see what negative behaviors seem to be the most troublesome in our community. As a social sciences kind of person I would think this information could prove helpful in seeking out ways to educate and shape our community members for the better. Maybe it could be added to the appropriate section of the FAQ and Forum Rules.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It would be interesting to see, my guess is that the vast majority of bannings are accounts with only a couple posts that were created for spam purposes. As for long term members getting banned it seems like most of them are ones that are fairly active in the PRSI so it's probably them crossing a line in there one too many times.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Putting my Doctor Q hat on for one moment, early statistical analysis has generated an interesting pie graph:

200px-Circle_Burgundy_Solid.svg.png

= Breaking the Forum Rules

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Putting my Doctor Q hat on for one moment, early statistical analysis has generated an interesting pie graph:

:D

But I think he means immediate ban, not ban after many times in the corner..

Some of us are on our last straw so it's no surprise.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

That is brilliant. Cue the sound of prolonged and sustained applause......:D Indeed, if there was an icon to indicate enthusiastic applause, that is what I would have added, here.....

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
We don't have a way to collate aggregate statistics on ban reasons, although I can confirm that the vast majority of bans are for spammers.

We do gather statistics on post reports, but that's not quite the same (eg a report for spam is likely to lead to a ban, whereas reports for most other issues are less likely to).

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Awsome! I needed that laugh!

But I think he means immediate ban, not ban after many times in the corner..

Some of us are on our last straw so it's no surprise.

Too hysterical! :D And true!

I laughed too but doesn't the op mean WHICH rule was broken?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

It looks like a very useful analysis. I only wish I had color vision so I could understand it!

Well played Blue Velvet, that was very funny. :D

I laughed too but doesn't the op mean WHICH rule was broken?

You are correct. I know this is a sensitive subject, but I was just curious about it. I would love to know how much of a problem, (i.e. frequency) it is that people are trying to create a second user account or generally what percentage of our community has gotten the boot for being inappropriate in how they communicate with their forum peers.

Thanks for the info about spammers. I didn't even think of that as I assume most spamming is done by bots and not real people. Good to know.

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

That is brilliant. Cue the sound of prolonged and sustained applause......:D Indeed, if there was an icon to indicate enthusiastic applause, that is what I would have added, here.....

I just have to post to say I agree, absolutely brilliant. :D

Is banning not the virtual equivalent for "The Naugty Chair"? ;-)

That's "time-out", the temporary suspension. ;) Banned is usually used for the extreme ends of the scale: a member who has one spam post, or the result of increased moderation escalation of a long period of time, where reminders, warnings, and temporary suspensions just didn't make a difference. But I guess it depends on how any one person defines the naughty chair. :p

If HexMonkey says it can't be done, then it can't be done, but I too would've been interested in this. So I definitely get why the question was asked.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
How long does a time-out last? Are there any consequences to being placed on time-out multiple times?

Thanks.

Have you read the Moderation FAQ?

The rules and moderation guidelines are applied equally to all forum members but messages and disciplinary actions depend on the rule involved, the nature of the violation, and the user's history of prior violations. Repeated rule-breaking causes stronger actions, so a reminder one time can become a warning or time-out the next time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
We don't have a way to collate aggregate statistics on ban reasons, although I can confirm that the vast majority of bans are for spammers.

We do gather statistics on post reports, but that's not quite the same (eg a report for spam is likely to lead to a ban, whereas reports for most other issues are less likely to).

If you do any statistics, I think pure spammers should be excluded - someone who joins just to spam shouldn't be counted as a member at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.