Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
If it's in decent shape - I'd say it is a very good buy - including the shipping charge. But, on eBay, you just never know.

Lou

stjames70

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Price is certainly tempting. I like Expercom personally when buying used stuff.

2008 MacPro 3,1 8-core 2.8

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I did a search for similar models with the "completed listings" flag enabled. This tells you what they are actually selling for (and not selling for). It seems to be a fair to slightly high price, but definitely not a good deal. There are plenty that sold for less without the case damage, so I'd look at other listings or wait if there isn't anything better at the moment.

That being said, a Mac Mini at the same price is indeed a better computer for your stated purpose. But if you have upgrades in mind, the Pro is the way to go and the 2009 is the sweet spot because you can upgrade just as well as the 2012 version.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a used Mac Pro (2009) for home office. I am a software programmer so I will be using mostly for running app servers, web stuff etc. No designing or video editing.

I came across
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...2072296?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3384d7e068

I wanted to know if you guys think this is a decent deal?.

The 'normal' price for this 2009 Mac Pro on Ebay is $800 lately. So the OWC price is reasonable I think.

I think that OWC is the way to go if you really want one of these. They are reputable and will likely ship it properly and have warranty as well.

Last edited:

Judith123

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
New York
I think it is fair on ebay;)However, you can have a look on other site, if the price is almost the same, that depends on you. ;)

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a used Mac Pro (2009) for home office. I am a software programmer so I will be using mostly for running app servers, web stuff etc. No designing or video editing.

I came across
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...2072296?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3384d7e068

I wanted to know if you guys think this is a decent deal?

Thanks in advance.

I think I would pass on that. If you could verify that it is actually good, it would be a good price, but with the very sparse information posted, it seems almost like there is something to hide.

mcfx

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
US
Being a single CPU model it will come with a single CPU tray. You will not be able to add another CPU unless you buy a dual CPU tray which costs about $700 . I'd suggest looking for a model with a dual CPU.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Hey,
For a quad-core 2009 model, $750-ish is not a bad price for a baseline model.

The cheapest 8-core models were running just over a $1000.

I think when buying on ebay, you want a reputable seller, pictures of the actual model, and some idea that they will pack and ship it to you, in a manner that will guarantee it will work when it arrives.

Overall, the OWC computers aren't badly priced. And when you figure the memory they put in it should be good quality (as well as the SSD's), then they may actually be worth it.

For what you want to do a Mac Pro may be overkill, but they are beautiful to work with, and work on. You can stuff it full of RAM and run some virtual machines nicely, so you can't really go wrong.

MacPro2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I bought an Early 2008 Mac Pro
2 X 2.8GHz Quad core, 4GB RAM and 250GB Harddisk for $450 on ebay.

I thought it is good deal and grabbed it.

Just received the machine, couple of dents but can't complain. The machine looks cool :D

I will be creating few virtual machines for my development purposes but I think before that I need to grab extra RAM and HDD.

----------

What do you guys think about this RAM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-8X2GB-...4332277?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item43afecac75

Is it compatible with Mac?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
What do you guys think about this RAM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-8X2GB-...4332277?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item43afecac75

Is it compatible with Mac?

Please note that only "Dual Rank" FB-DIMM modules are compatible with your MP3,1. You need to contact the seller to find out if they are dual rank, normally 2R as part of their serial number. Also note that in Lou's link to his supplier, the modules are only up to 4GB per DIMM at much higher price. That almost confirms that your eBay link is selling "Quad Rank" modules which are incompatible with MP. They are just too cheap to be dual rank, but I could be wrong.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
tb = Thunderbolt?

Is there something you really need Thunderbolt for? For me it would be nice to have, but since i don't need it, i bought a used MP 4.1 2.66 quad some weeks ago*...

*And then i couldn't resist upgrading it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.