Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Or you can spend some time with it after release and maybe pick up a few hints from here at MacRumors....

Jeeez, what's everyone's problem here?
Kind of logical that you need to train employees where customers come to for questions isn't it. It might "just be" more a cosmetical overhaul, there is definitely a lot of change from iOS 6 other than only the design. It's not because everyone on this site is up to date with iOS 7, that other people should magically know all the nifty features as well.

Honestly, if you can learn to use iOS 6 you should have no issues adjusting to iOS 7. People whine about some of the most minor things...

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.

Change is what many were clamoring for…..this site was filled with complaints about iOS….."iOs is stale"….."same old, same old"….."Apple is doomed"….."Android is way better"….."same OS for six years now"…..etc, etc.

Apple is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Instead of quoting a bunch of posts...

The training is necessary for people either too dumb or too lazy to figure out some of the new stuff in the OS. I've been using it for 6 weeks, and it took me about 6 minutes to figure out all the new features.

For those whining about the changes, it's so much better than the previous OS imo. The look and feel are way better and just a nice change. Some of the new features are nice and thoughtful.

I still love iPhone OS 1 and I have no idea why I ever sold that phone. Sentimental reasons like jailbreaking to get apps and just the fact that that phone was a revolution. Since then, I like this OS a lot more than any other so far.

basedgod

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Based
Instead of quoting a bunch of posts...

The training is necessary for people either too dumb or too lazy to figure out some of the new stuff in the OS. I've been using it for 6 weeks, and it took me about 6 minutes to figure out all the new features.

This so much, You wouldn't believe the amount of stupid questions we STILL get about iOS 6

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
'Legions of users over 30'? Who the hell do you think invented computers? Quit being an ageist butthead. I'm over sixty and I've been using iPhones since they were first introduced. Despite your idiotic views we won't have any trouble using iOS7.

I thought the same thing (even though I'm only in my fifties :p) and we had to use computers with only a keyboard and a 80x25 monochrome 12" screen. No mouse, no trackpad, no touch-screen, no GUI, etc. etc. so iOS7 will be childs-play :cool:

basedgod

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Based
I thought the same thing (even though I'm only in my fifties :p) and we had to use computers with only a keyboard and a 80x25 monochrome 12" screen. No mouse, no trackpad, no touch-screen, no GUI, etc. etc. so iOS7 will be childs-play :cool:

But yet all the calls that we get are from people over 30+ who don't know how to use the devices or even their computer for that point. We understand that they are some people over 40 who can use iphones and computer. Good job for them, But the mass of people who call are older.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Functionality hasn't changed but LOTS of new features have been added which makes the user experience much different.

What is wrong with you people?

----------

I like 50% of the people on this board.

I'm a half "full" kind of guy.

I think you're misunderstanding my post.

I was just quoting from the OP.

I'm delighted about the redesign, something almost all of us having been calling for.

It's just interesting that Apple themselves are telling their staff to transmit to customers that functionality in most of the apps hasn't changed - I'm sure that will gradually come year on year, as this is effectively a Year Zero release.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
'Legions of users over 30'? Who the hell do you think invented computers? Quit being an ageist butthead. I'm over sixty and I've been using iPhones since they were first introduced. Despite your idiotic views we won't have any trouble using iOS7.

I think iPhones and ios 7 are the most accessible smartphones to people who aren't used to technology. My dad gets confused using any tech but the iPhone he picked up so easily.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Actually, you only have half of the story.

This and other statements confirm to me that iOS 7 just a transitional major release with more sizzle than steak. Just under a year ago, there was a knock down drag out inside Apple with Ive and company completing his corporate coup of moving his minimalist design style from hardware to the OS.

To update a piece of software properly for maximum results, you need to take older conventions out to put new things in. Apple has been far from the "pile on the code and let the hardware speed up" that was the rise and fall of Microsoft. Apple has done brilliant marketing this update taking away skeuomorphism, stripping away dead iOS 5 era and older code while replacing it with a neo-minimalism look to set the stage for ...

Yes -- iOS 8!

That number is much more important to the Asian market than "Lucky 7" in the west. The glyph of '8' goes back to ancient times and is a hieroglyph for a bag of money piled on top of another bag of money. In many cultures, the number eight means good fortune and fame far more than the number seven is in the west.

The real sledgehammer falls with the iPhone 6 or whatever is worked on in the loop down in the "bomb shelter" overlooking the 280.

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
i bet it would be a 2 day course, iOS 7 while being different has short learning curve.
Not to mention people use different versions and flavors (brand's proprietary features) of Android everyday, they don't complain one bit.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.

Is this a serious post? If so, it's rediculous. "Epic debacle"? Lol.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
please tell me of these changes deep down that will confuse people?

"OMGSH where do I swipe to unlock?"
"OMGSH where are the reception bars"
"OMGSH why does the clock actually move?"
"OMGSH why does my wallpaper move?"
"OMGSH I can swipe to go back?"
"OMGSH WHERE IS GAME CENTER?! I CAN'T FIND THE POOL TABLE"

oh and by the way...

1. Don't believe everything you read.
2. Watch the 2013 WWDC main keynote and the state of the union keynotes.
3. http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/
The biggest deep down feature is better multitasking. But there are more too. None of the changes will confuse people. As they are all under the hood.

The iOS7 training from Apple is really over sensationalised by the rumour sites. Apple employees get training on all the new iOS versions. This is no different so they can answer questions if someone asks how can I do X thing in iOS7, the store person can compare it to iOS6 (which the customer might be familiar with). Not really a news story apart from:

"Apple training it's staff in iOS7."

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Anti Nausea Meds to be handed out

I have heard that the Apple Store employees will be given anti-nausea medication to take themselves and also to give out to customers. This will be needed because iOS7 is so freaking ugly!! I have a coworker who has it on his i5. He has the most recent beta, which still doesn't work correctly and crashes some apps. But the main thing is the look. It is hideous!! As if Android and Windows Phone had a child without proper prenatal care during the gestation. I can understand getting rid of excess skeuomorphism but this is ridiculous. They have taken what used to be, by far, the most beautiful mobile OS and taken all the life out of it. It looks very cartoonish with over-saturated Android like colors. It just plain looks much less sophisticated. I know I will eventually have to switch, but I am not going to upgrade when iOS7 comes out. I'll keep 6.1.4 as long as I can in the hopes that Apple comes to their senses, gives Ive or whoever is responsible for this atrocity the boot, and returns iOS to its former beautiful self. And yes, I know some of you like the new look, though I can't imagine how.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
I have heard that the Apple Store employees will be given anti-nausea medication to take themselves and also to give out to customers. This will be needed because iOS7 is so freaking ugly!! I have a coworker who has it on his i5. He has the most recent beta, which still doesn't work correctly and crashes some apps. But the main thing is the look. It is hideous!! As if Android and Windows Phone had a child without proper prenatal care during the gestation. I can understand getting rid of excess skeuomorphism but this is ridiculous. They have taken what used to be, by far, the most beautiful mobile OS and taken all the life out of it. It looks very cartoonish with over-saturated Android like colors. It just plain looks much less sophisticated. I know I will eventually have to switch, but I am not going to upgrade when iOS7 comes out. I'll keep 6.1.4 as long as I can in the hopes that Apple comes to their senses, gives Ive or whoever is responsible for this atrocity the boot, and returns iOS to its former beautiful self. And yes, I know some of you like the new look, though I can't imagine how.

THIS times a million. I just don't get the church of one primary color or greyscale iconography. And I HATE the excesses of too much skeuomorphism. But Colors ,Tone and Contrast are important because they offer visual cues. Some day, most of you will have "old eyes" too and you will get it.

bsmiv

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
whining because of updates/improvements

all you "whiners' out there, lease iOS & go to android:D...:apple: doesn't just shoot from the hip like the "others", RELAX it's gonna be for the BETTER w/out a doubt...EMBRACE change it's inevitable...w/out change you get left behind:)

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Change is not the problem...

all you "whiners' out there, lease iOS & go to android:D...:apple: doesn't just shoot from the hip like the "others", RELAX it's gonna be for the BETTER w/out a doubt...EMBRACE change it's inevitable...w/out change you get left behind:)

...change that doesn't improve anything and makes the product much less beautiful is the problem. Apple could have made all the performance / functionality changes they wanted. But they didn't have to beat iOS7 with a big freakin' ugly stick. That serves no purpose. And no, I don't want to leave iOS and go to Android. Then I would have butt ugly AND less performance. I had android for some time. It was like using something that was in a constant beta state. After going to iOS I don't think I could ever go back, no matter how ugly they make it! And besides, we are an "Apple Household" anyway. Desktop, laptop, big iPad, little iPad, iPod, two iPhones. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.