Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially confirmed that it is launching its iPhone trade-in program today at its U.S. retail stores, according to a Tweet from CNBC's Jon Fortt. While a number of details on the program have leaked over the past few months, today's statement is the first public confirmation by Apple that the program exists.

iphone5.jpg
Under the program, users can receive a gift card in exchange for their older devices, although the gift card must immediately be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone. Trade-in values are based on a number of criteria, including model and capacity and physical condition.

The trade-in program launches less than two weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhones at a media event on September 10. Rumors and speculation indicate that the new iPhones could be available in the U.S. and other first-wave markets beginning on Friday, September 20.

Update: More details are coming out about the trade-in program. Apple is calling it a "reuse and recycling" program and trade-ins for working iPhone 4 and 4S devices ranging from $120 to $250, according to TechCrunch. Customers must use the money to purchase a new on-contract phone.

Apple provided this statement to TechCrunch regarding the new program:
iPhones hold great value. So, Apple Retail Stores are launching a new program to assist customers who wish to bring in their previous-generation iPhone for reuse or recycling. In addition to helping support the environment, customers will be able to receive a credit for their returned phone that they can use toward the purchase of a new iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iPhone Trade-In Program Launching Today at U.S. Retail Stores [Updated]

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
More people may choose to trade in their phones rather than sell on ebay and craigslist--which means prices for used iPhone *could* go up.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i'll give you two iPhone 4's and a 4S for an iPhone 5S. since I like your face, i'll also throw in a free t-shirt and potato peeler. deal?

----------

Best Buy is doing trade-ins and you get 50% off an iPhone 5 purchase.

50% off the subsidized price. So they give you $100 for your $450 iPhone 4.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'll stick to selling on craigslist. Value is higher there. Gazelle would only offer about $330 for my 64 gig unlocked Verizon iPhone 5. I can get around 400 on CL.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
What I'd like to know is how Apple will implement this via their online store ordering process. For example, will I be able to order a new 5S online on the first day of pre-orders for in-store pickup and also trade in my old iPhone there at the same time or something? Otherwise this has no appeal for me since the Apple retail stores have low stock on new iPhones for several weeks after a new model is released.

vdesilva

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
i'll give you two iPhone 4's and a 4S for an iPhone 5S. since I like your face, i'll also throw in a free t-shirt and potato peeler. deal?

----------

50% off the subsidized price. So they give you $100 for your $450 iPhone 4.

the Beat Buy deal is UP TO 50% OFF

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
What I'd like to know is how Apple will implement this via their online store ordering process. For example, will I be able to order a new 5S online on the first day of pre-orders for in-store pickup and also trade in my old iPhone there at the same time or something? Otherwise this has no appeal for me since the retail stores have low stock on new iPhones for several weeks after a new model is released.

They've already had their online recycling program for a while:

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

So you can send your old phone back for a gift card. Maybe they'll more seamlessly integrate it into the order process for a new phone.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I got my 4S locked in at $175 at Gazelle for trade in until October. Amazon can get you around $185 for a 4S but it only give you a week to send it in, otherwise Amazon usually has some great trade in prices.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I see this being good for people who stick to 2 yr contracts and don't want have to deal with scammers/thieves on CL or eBay. But if you want cash money, best you can get for it, want a new phone every year, then CL/eBay will be better.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Best Buy is doing trade-ins and you get 50% off an iPhone 5 purchase.

Better check the fine print on that one; it's a far worse deal than even Apple's trade-in.

Also, currently Apple's recycling site is showing a higher offer than Gazelle for my 32GB iPhone4S, but I doubt I'd get that much with the in-store trade in.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Presumably this is for the people to which the few hundred pounds difference extra you'd make from selling on eBay is peanuts.

And really lazy poor people.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Would love to know if they'd take an old 3GS in trade.

From 9to5Mac:

Apple Store employees will conduct the trade-in process via the mobile EasyPay devices. A customer can bring in an iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5, and receive a gift card to be applied to a new iPhone purchase.

----------

I got my 4S locked in at $175 at Gazelle for trade in until October. Amazon can get you around $185 for a 4S but it only give you a week to send it in, otherwise Amazon usually has some great trade in prices.

Amazon only gives you Amazon credit, which is almost as good as cash unless you want to buy an iPhone on contract. They don't sell iPhones on contract.

----------

I priced my iPhone (5, 16GB, black) and they are offering me $286 with the recycling program.

So less than Gazelle. You can get $315 locked in until Oct. 15 right now on Gazelle. Not saying it's the best deal, but it's decent. They offer 5% more if you do Amazon credit, but as I've said, no iPhone from Amazon unless you pay full price.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
$406 for my white iPhone 5 64GB including charger using Apple's recycling link.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
iPhone 4s white 16g ATT will get you $204 at apple retail recycle
iPhone 3gs will get you around $25

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.